1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Serial Thriller's Video Booth - Featuring...Actual Video Editing

Discussion in 'Screens & Videos' started by Seria17hri11er, May 25, 2016.

1. 5/28/16

Threw this together quickly with some old footage. No in car shots, because I didn't record any at the time.

R35 Nippon Spirit Drift Quickie at Modena (with music)

5/25/16

Rapture - Nissan Skyline R34 at Bilster Berg

I Just Can't Deny, I Love the R34 (has music)

Original post:

Hey Friends,

I created this to showcase the videos I do. Let me say a lot of the videos out there I do not find very enjoyable. They usually are driver POV, with no external shots, or camera variations and have not been edited at all.

The videos I do will have:

• F6 Cameras
    • External Cameras
    • Driver POV with TrackIR
    • Sometimes Music--but the engine will almost always be heard
    &​
    • Video Editing
    Feedback is welcomed.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Torcano likes this.
  2. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I guess personal taste comes into it alot but i quite like a lot of car POV shots if its a replay of a race. RL motorsport footage really annoys me for overdone angles and stuff when I just want to see the action and get a sense of the race from the drivers perspective.

in AC im generally dodging the things I dont like or cant use when I make videos. the mirrors from any view other than drivers seat annoy me. so does the virtual driver. I like the static cams but no way I can get smooth footage using them and I dont like most of kunos tv cams, always zooming close in on the side panel of 1 car.

ive always liked using f5 and f6 to have a forward and backward facing onboard camera and then skipping cars with ctrl 1-3. the only really annoying thing with this is the black bar that pops up at the top.

onboard opponents cars f5 f6 are good as you dont get the weird stuff that happens in f1 cam where the camera jumps up and down.

its a shame f5 cam has external sound only now :(

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  3. Don't really disagree with any of your points. I never watch full race replays. I find it quite boring. I've pulled up numerous videos only to find it's an entire race from driving POV. I say to myself "Well screw this, I might as well go drive! This is exactly what I see when I drive."

And if you watched either of the two videos above, you'd find that they both have probably 50% or more driver POV footage. :)

Andy-R likes this.
  4. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

yes, I was mostly commenting on your post with my opinions rather than your footage. sorry if your only really looking for direct feedback on the footage. I did have a little look on my phone but battery will die :p

5. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

Not bad at all up to press :)

I've been planning an AC video for a while now, used to be part of the GPL movie making scene in days gone by.

Mind if I ask what you are using for capture (I plan on using Shadowplay), are you compressing captured footage prior to editing and what are you using for editing ?

I'll intrinsically be making a music video with footage of AC which I'll be attempting to sync to the music. It will also take a loooong time as I'm out of practice with the software and I do need to generate some footage but DOOM has got in the way of AC currently :oops:

Cheers for any suggestions :cool:

6. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

had a proper look on the pc.

1 thing i learned from a thread i started to try and get more crisp footage on YT is to use motion blur to minimize the nasty YT fog that plagues my videos :D i think your shots from the front left hand side of the skyline in the 1st video could be improved with motion blur. your video looks more crisp than mine with blur off but i think it would look a lot better for some motion blur.
    here is a comparison i made with motion blur on and off using a similar view. www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3kOzCvCH7o&list=PLR6nb-QBdXopB91_UFOmPsVrCR6OTbgyG

im hoping you are going to grow to love the F5 cam and then rail against the evil mastermind that has infiltrated Kunos and stopped them from giving us the option to use onboard audio with the F5 camera. my main suspects at the moment are Mr Tinkles, Mr Bigglesworth & Catherine Tramell.

(my inner pedant was pained by you cutting the pit exit at the start of the 1st video)

7. Nice! Thanks. I am using ShadowPlay. I didn't have it set up properly for the above videos. I should have had it set at 60 FPS with 50 MBPS Bitrate. But it was 30 FPS with 50 MBPS Bitrate. 50 MBPS at 30 FPS didn't do anything but make the file size bigger.

Going forward, I will compress the ShadowPlay footage if I am going to edit on my laptop. My laptop isn't powerful and it will struggle to play the videos in the editor. I believe compressing file size could help.

Warning, wall of text incoming.

On the second video the quality suffered because:

The bitrate was too high for 30 FPS (I didn't realize it at the time). I uploaded it straight to YT. YT compressed it--their compression method is a little fast, & not max quality. The quality really didn't suffer much by that. I did some editing on YT (while at work and still trying to get my personal laptop setup/functioning to do video editing properly). After I cut it up a bunch on YT, I figured out how to get Blender working, so I downloaded it off YT.

Put it in Blender and did some audio editing and what not. Then exported it. Blender's compression options are pretty damn limited. For doing H.264, I believe the max bitrate is 14 MBPS. There is a "Lossless" option which will override all the Bitrate settings. But when I tried that earlier, I was getting really bad results. I believe now, it may have been because I was trying to play it back in Windows Media player and it didn't have the proper codec.

Long story short, it got compressed twice so that's why the quality isn't as good as it could be. Things to do going forward: Take a Shadowplay video, put it straight in Blender and do a straight H.264 Lossless. Play in VLC media player. Do I lose any quality? I shouldn't. If I don't, sweet, no further action needed. If I do:

Instead of exporting video as H.264 in Blender, export as HuffYUV. This is completely lossless but results in massive file size. So after it is exported:

Use Handbrake to convert/compress into H.264. Handbrake has a lot of options/settings for compression; so one can get a much better result from that than Blender. I even read that on some of the Blender forums.

:D It was track day, and I'm a Hoonigan bro! :p

Thanks Andy. Are you talking about Motion Blur in sim, or with the video editor? Thanks for the video links. I agree, the second video looks much better. I actually did use Motion Blur in Blender. I set it for 20 passes at .5 shutter. I understand the passes part, but still have to read and understand how the shutter setting works. It probably doesn't look so good because it got compressed twice x|

Also, maybe if you use handbrake to compress the video, then YT might not compress it.

Lol :)

At this point, I never use the F5 cam, and I don't remember which camera that is. Ok, just looked it up. Free cam that stays attached to the car. You would like to use it for in cockpit cams? That would be cool.

While on the topic of cams; Stereo's Boxcam is a great tool for some different shots.

Sleeper Service and Andy-R like this.
  8. Also, I used Audacity to manipulate the song. It's free. At the beginning of video 2, before I launch, the song has an EQ applied to it. A preset called "AM Radio." Then I also selected "Treble and Bass" and completely cut the bass. I exported that from Audacity, and it plays until launch, then the original track cuts in. Same thing at the second hairpin turn. Original song cuts out, modified cuts in.

9. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

it sounds like you already know the few bits i learned in the thread i created :D ive only used ingame motion blur (max setting.) i tried uploading straight to YT, handbrake then YT & handbrake to power director to YT using that same video but i think i deleted them as they didnt seem to make any difference to YT fog.

the first 20sec of the link below shows how i like to use f5 and f6 cams. you can capture a race with a preselected tv cam & f5 f6 cameras to cover onboard looking forwards and backwards without having to cycle through cameras or use an f1 camera (which tends to not work well onboard other players if its MP recording.)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO9YRMTT9sE

it just leaves you free to find whatever camera angle you like. plus it follows the car so its only really going to be used on or in the car (where onboard audio would be nice)

another example of f5 cam, because cool reflection
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkhJK2x0mwM

i tried box cam but didnt work. i dropped the file in the place it said to and renamed it to the track name but i didnt have a boxcam f3 camera. just goes underground and stuff.

10. Got it. The F5 cam is definitely useful. I had seen your Fulvia video before and really liked that! The angle you had on the Veloce video was very cool as well.

On box cam, you did this part? It's what I failed to do initially and had the same problem you have.

Andy-R likes this.
  11. Sleeper Service

Aah yes... Handbrake. I used that a while back to compress the GPL movies to put on my phone. Video quality was pretty good, audio wasn't too bad. Thanks for the info on capture, wasn't sure where to start with that although I was planning on going as max quality as I could get away with and then compressing before use in editing software - for the reason you stated. I'll probably be using Premiere for editing.

Hoping to get some test footage done this bank holiday weekend.

Cheers

Seria17hri11er and Andy-R like this.
  12. Torcano

Torcano Alien

I learned recently of how to reduce youtube fog. Apparently YT caps bitrate to 5k for 1080p uploads which means no matter how good your source material is, it will end up getting butchered hard. But it raises bitrate cap to ~12k for 1440p uploads and even higher for 4k uploads, so if you want acceptable quality on videos then uploading to youtube at 1440p seems the way to go. For example, this is a 1440p 60fps 20k bitrate upload and you can even read the tiny text on dash because there is not much blurriness going on -

Seria17hri11er and Andy-R like this.
  13. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I did, its strange though cos there were no other camera files in that folder. I dropped it in silverstone national and even checked the GP folder. renamed it to whatever that track is called so something like cameras_silverstone_national and it didnt work.

hope to see some more videos of you hooniganing :D

@Torcano can the source be 1080p? if I upload to YT via power director I have options to upload at 2k 4k (regardless of source quality) using YT website to upload ive never seen any res options, always same as source.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  14. Brilliant! Thank you! Now to figure out how to upscale... Did you capture in 1440p?

15. Torcano

Torcano Alien

Yeah, I was capturing it at 1440p in shadowplay. :p

@andy-riches It should work, although I don't know what effect the upscaling has on the source video's quality i.e, if it introduces some unnecessary vaseline layer blur to the source video. Never did that myself that's why I'm unsure. :D

Andy-R and Seria17hri11er like this.
  16. I am reading here that YT will do 8K bitrate for 1080p @ 30 FPS, and 12K for 1080p @ 60FPS.

http://www.4kshooters.net/2015/07/28/best-video-export-settings-for-youtube-in-premiere-pro-cc/

Sleeper Service likes this.
  17. Torcano

Torcano Alien

That 8k/12k in that thread is not youtube's post-compression rates, that's our min/recommended video upload bitrate. I wish youtube did 8k for 1080p30, the videos would look brilliant if that were the case. :D
    What I stated were youtube's post-compression bitrates.

18. Sleeper Service

What I'm planning will be using a fair bit of slo-mo so maybe YT won't affect it too much. I'll probably put the full 1080p version up in my ISP's cloud should anyone want to download and watch in it full effect ;)

The music I'm planning on using isn't quite as frenetic as my unfinished GPL movie..... (Hard Drive died and took the Premiere project with it)

but the idea of syncing the video to the audio will be pretty much the same as what I was attempting with Artificial Indulgence all those years ago

I enjoy watching some of the videos that are put up, even though they are mainly hot lap/race videos. Kunos probably don't need a promo video but AC will allow me to participate in a little self indulgence and create something using music from my favourite band and my favourite sim.

Looking forward to what you produce @Seria17hri11er, don't hold your breath for anything from me, I am notoriously slow at working through a project like this :D

19. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Alien

@ Torcano

Curious have you ever worn a real helmet while racing on triples ? IRL you actually get FAR more than what the "visor/helmet" mod is allowing you to see.

I was under the impression that a helmet would limit your View point....when in reality its doesn't really obstruct your view at all....I would say i lost maybe 5-10% on my peripherals and thats it.