1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Gamepad support

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Remco Tissink, Mar 7, 2014.

1. To me this thread and the OP sounds like just another "please give me a kleen-ex to wipe my tears because what I want isn't ready yet".
    We are but halfway through the early access portion of the release, of course features aren't complete yet. Maybe people don't realize just how complex the physics and tire models are; or maybe they just take them for granted but it makes me laugh when right now we have a game/sim that feels more realistic than anything else out there and even though it technically isn't even released yet there are people wanting to write it off because the trees are too 2d, they can't use their turn signals, and now frustration that you can't jump the start.

Just curious, with all the tears that have been shed over the 5 second cutting penalty how bad will the waterworks flow when you can get a penalty before the race even starts?

It pains me a little to see so much support given to gamepad users but there is no point in starting a thread crying about it; If it is that important to the devs there must be a good reason for it. (I still hope I can set up my on-line lobby to be wheel use only)

2. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

If OP dont mind I personally like to suggest keep all the complains until the game is finally release or at least hold it till June'2014 because if the game still not release at that time then its out of schedule.

From my experience try not to complain a game which is still in "WIP" status because complains will become invalid & not very welcome among fans because this "WIP" thing will be a very mighty reason to counter all the complains.

You can open a thread to thanks Kunos for making a good game, you can open a thread to thanks Kunos for give you this or that car/track & no one will say anything against you but dont ever open a thread to complain something while the game still in WIP, you're dead if you do so (cant blame anyone because you make the wrong move complaining a game which is still WIP)

IMO the smarter move is to turn the complaining (why no this no that) into suggestion (Can i have this have that), i believe its much better this way :D

Otherwise just wait for the moment. Its WIP right now, so wait (unless you enjoy keep getting "attack" by others) :p

Anuj and Radfahrer like this.
  3. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Pointing out bugs and issues is recommended as is constructive criticism.

Basic whining about devs wanting to develop a feature you dont like is pointless as it just makes people like me whine about the whiners and then we all run out of cheese.

sennacher, Shaddix, Anuj and 2 others like this.
  4. softgrip

softgrip Alien

If you write a book, and polish every single sentence until its perfect, at the end of a year you have 1 sentence. Same with cooking, construction, gardening - anything.

What you are concerned about is not how the world works. It is also not how high quality products are developed. If you always focus on the little things the big things will never happen.

I'm not saying they should be ignored or done poorly, but you should understand the realities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

EXACTLY!!
    Why bother making the game better with gamepads, so that people without wheels can actually enjoy the game?
    Who cares that gamepad users are probably way more than wheel users, which means that better support will bring alot more revenue for KS?

OP wants full race weekends and engaging 1st gear!!NOW!! :confused:

Anuj likes this.
  6. Anuj

Anuj Racer

Alright, so just to make it clear... Kunos wants to reach a wider audience than only hard-core sim racers so even casual gamers can play this game. If you see the way I-racing works, you have to get a subscription and so a lot of casual players are intimidated. I personally like Forza (i know, i know...) and since I moved to PC instead of buying an XB1 or PS4, I was missing a good racing game which suits my style on PC. I don't like racing I just love cars. Secondly, the game is just $30 so Kunos needs more and more people to buy the game so that they can keep supporting the franchise. :)

Lazybug likes this.
  7. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

I understand if Kunos not going to even further perfect mouse & keyboard control but imo gamepad support should be as perfect as possible after wheel. Imagine if only 25% of 6 millions NFS casual players play AC then that already a huge fans base & for sure is a milestone victory in hardcore sim
    racing history. Even Iracing has only 45,000 member at the moment.

So if gamepad support for casual player is very perfect right now then its good but if its not then Kunos should work more on this sooner or later because AC will only benefit from it, i believe no way the situation gone bad.

By the way i dont mind at all if at the end of the day gamepad player who play AC actually more than wheel player & i also dont mind if their time also very competitive against wheel player. Am ok with that.

Wheel player can turn to play with gamepad if they feel like not fair or set "wheel only" in MP to filter out different player than problem is solve :p

Its just a game after all, whats the big deal :cool:

Shaddix and Anuj like this.
  8. Anuj

Anuj Racer

I agree.
    I hate NFS though... just saying lol :p

Sent from my HTC

Lazybug likes this.
  9. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

gamepad support is important for all of us. Those with wheels that already have 100-200+ hrs on this already have the game. To keep Kunos in good business and make it worthwhile to support it for 5 yrs, we need as many casual controller users buying the game as possible.

Many of those will not reach 100 hrs, even as we start running into the 1,000s, but will have paid their 35-50 bucks or euros. Most of them, easily 80% will never get online, and a section of them will get the bug, and practice, practice, practice to join us in MP.

Will there be some crashers? Sure, but there will be some anyway. In the end, we need as many people as possible to buy this game. More AC buyers = more support from Kunos, higher chance to get weather changes, day/night, dashboard switches, etc. done after the 1.0 is out, more DLC with more cars and tracks, etc.

Anuj, Shaddix and Tucker73 like this.
  10. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

im gonna give it a try tonight with my wired xbox pad just to see how it is, is it better to use the chase view with a pad, im guessing that driving with a controller with cockpit cam can be tricky

11. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Had a bit of a difficult week that kept me away of the forums and facebook, but I'll spent 5 minutes to reply.
    There isn't much to discuss, the whole thing needs just 3 points to make it clear I think.

1. The Joypad/keyboard/mouse implementation doesn't takes out time from the race weekend, AI, multiplayer and content implementations. There is a programmer that will work on that and there is another programmer that works on other content and so on. There are multiple todo lists for multiple aspects of the game. When a programmer, 3D artist, or whoever, finishes his assigned work, it simply moves up to the next one. It's not like that the programmer who will work on the joypad implementation, could have worked on improving AI or Multiplayer as those things are assigned to someone else.

2. I do not want to sound offensive, so please take this as a simple discussion subject, nothing more, I'm not attacking anyone in particular. Things in game design are a bit more complicated than you might think without experience. I read; "allowing 1st gear engagement at race start is far easier than improving joypad support". No it isn't. What will happen if we let engage 1st gear? Will this work in situations? What will AI do? Should we let the car rollover if not in a plane? We need to rewrite the very low (under 3km/h) speed/stopped physics (you know we have problems on this). How are we going to do that? Maybe we should wait for that before doing other things? We will need to check for jump starts? How do we inform non hardcore racers about it? Do we keep the brakes on for the player? Do we let the brakes off and let the car roll and have 80% of people not understanding why they get jump starts? All of that and more needs careful thinking and quite a bit of programming time.
    Racing sims are very complex programs and adding "features" makes them more complex. Complexity ads bugs and limitations. We know that from experience and we also paid the price for not judging complexity well enough. AC is a foundation and a project that will go ahead , we hope, for quite some time.
    We need to be careful how to add complexity, and if this means that some of you are getting so frustrated because they can't engage a gear at race start, well patience is a virtue. It's easy to complain for something you don't have, even the smaller things, but we take for granted stability and driving experience, after a while. I know, I do it myself, it's human nature. Anyway, priorities.

3. You're a hardcore simmer and you don't care about joypad support, driving assists and similar "arcade gaming" features? You should. I'll tell you why.
    The hardcore simracing community in the world is sadly small. Deal with it. We know it from statistics, from older sim titles, ours and our competitors and you can have vague idea too by looking how many simracers are populating online lobbies and servers at any time. If it was just by the hardcore simracers sales, a small team like Kunos could offer you just an improved version of netKar Pro with almost none of the official licensed content, no laser scanned tracks etc. That's a fact and we should all realise the situation.
    Joypad gamers are a big big part of AC sales and are those that permits us to offer you more official content. Those, together with hardcore simmers give us the financial possibility to offer you special extra content for free, like the LaFerrari or the street Corvette version. Those same people are the ones that if they find a simracing community that hugs them and teach them, will then buy steering wheels, helping manufacturers to do bigger economy scales and lower the price or offer better products for hardcore simracers too. And those same people are the ones that will populate your communities, your future leagues and will click on your forum ads helping your communities survive.

I don't expect nor do I want us to be worshipped by simracers, for offering better joypad support. But I do wish that simracers would stop being elitists, see a bit further in the general racing landscape and appreciate the fact that there are developers that do not take the "easy" arcade way, even if it has 100fold more potential sales, but still trying do good sims, while trying to attract new potential customers. I'm not talking only about KUNOS out there, but everybody, ISI, SIMBIN, iRacing or WMD or whoever I forgot, sorry.

12. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

I wish I could "like" Aristotelis' post 9999 times.

TrenchcoatNinja, Anuj and Shaddix like this.
  13. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

He should save this reply, it will fit in many situations :)

Anuj likes this.
  14. dangerscouse

dangerscouse Gamer

Good on you Aris for doing whats needed to ensure financial safety. .no sim racer driving your products would begrudge you that however, reg preaching that leagues should embrace gamepad users is tbh none of your buisness. I have been league racing for years and to invest 20 hours of testing for a fortnightly race to have it ruined by a gamepad user whos excuse is they are limited with there inputs...is well an admins choice whether they risk their hobby with them or not..as micheal above says I hope you give admins the choice...nothing elitism about it at all. Keep up the amazing work ;-)

15. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

Where did Aris tell you to drive with gamepad players? Not that you shouldn't, but of course it's up to you who you drive with. He said that current gamepad players if treated nicely might buy a wheel and then populate our community. Win-win.

16. dangerscouse

dangerscouse Gamer

He didnt tell me nor did I say he did so...

17. sennacher

sennacher Gamer

Lol, exactly what is happening to me right now, here is an excerpt from my steam review which I wrote yesterday:
    Pad/Wheel
    "Though every Sim Racer will tell you, that you have to buy a wheel to enjoy this game that isn't true at all. To this day I'm driving with a pad and have put 100+hours into AC with a XBox360 Controller and had more fun than I ever had with GT 5 or Forza or any other racing game - i.e. most of the pc simulators sounded like work to me till AC came around.
    I don't own a 3 Monitor setup, Racing Seat, wheel etc. - just a decent pc which allows me to play on high settings. So you can have fun and lots of it, and the driving experience is still a lot better than GT/Forza.
    I'm not a simracer by a long shot, but the truth is, AC made me want to become one. I already have decided I will get a wheel (Fanatec+Pedals) within the next 3months :=).
    Although the game is not even finished, I know that I will play it for years to come. I want to experience the full depth of Assetto Corsa's driving physics and in all fairness you can't really do that with a pad. "

Thank you for your post, as a noobie to the simracing world I am very much enjoying myself with AC - and I'm sure once I have my setup complete it will even get better.

mangal, TrenchcoatNinja, Anuj and 2 others like this.
  18. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

not really.
    Driving in cockpit is the only way to feel the car even you dont use a wheel.
    One hint, which keeps very fast with joypad, make your steering sensetive for slow corners and at the same you need to steer smooth.
    You can steer smooth (well 60% of the forza driver cant steer smooth somehow :D).
    If you want, i can share my xbox steering options.

thanks Aris for this post!

Anuj likes this.
  19. is nice to see and read your post @Aristotelis but come on, don't overestimate people. this is not the first racing game in the history, every game lets you put 1st gear in the grid, from the gran turismo series and what ever you pick i bet almost every game let you engage the gear at least, maybe not letting you go off the gas and jump start, but even people using gamepad and even kids will learn, that if the first time they jumpstarted, the second will get them right. besides, in the drag racing events you can put the gear and even jumpstart, which is how you learn.
    how different is the drag events from a race in terms of starting? this is not arcade or sim, nor hardcore, this is basic stuff.

on the other hand, i raced with gamepad from gran turismo 2 to gran turismo 4 and the feeling was very nice, but Sony controllers had pressure sentitive buttons, (yes, buttons, besides triggers and analog sticks) so you could dose the gas if you wanted to use the X button for the accelerator, but we don't get that for the PC I guess.