1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Replay realism

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Tberg, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Tberg

Tberg Alien

@Lord Kunos

Edit: read on or just jump to Rigels post underneath and watch the video.

Hi, not sure were I could put ACC suggestion, so:
    It seems the camera "men" in ACC work similar as in AC. Of cause, reworking replay cams could be something already on the wishlist at Kunos, and if so I apologize in advance for bringing it up.
    I was just wondering if the cam that focuses on the driver and follows+zooms in/out could be made with a dynamic offset, mimicking how real broadcasts look like and humanizing the replays more.
    Example of how it is right now can be seen at 8:40 in this video here.
    The very first camera angle shows the car going by, left to right while the camera zooms out quickly, but always dead on center focused on the driver.

The focus of the driver is always in the center on follow-cams, while it would look very cool if the focuspoint would be ahead of the driver/car, f.i. 20-50 meters, depending on distance from the camera, which is how real cameramen focus.
    Example of real camera following here.

The focus is on the red Nissan, but ahead of the car, bringing it to one side of the screen, leaving room to see the green lambo going towards the other side of the screen.
    Another addition that would be cool: when the Nissan is in closeup, the camera sways ahead and behind, trying to keep focus centered, as seen @51:42 here.
    In general on zoomed out views, the cameramen always try to focus ahead, to get cars in the viewport that the driver is trying to keep up with, or simply show the track that lies ahead.
    Finally, if the driver is close to the edge of the track, real cameramen will often try to go inwards, bringing the track in the viewport, also handy if another car is about to overtake or two cars are just running side by side, which can be seen in example at the same videos with the Nissan and Lambo.

So, 3 points:

- dynamic offset ahead of the driver, relative to distance from camera.
    - dynamic offset keeping the camera focused on the middle of the track, if the driver "in focus" is driving in either side of the track.
    - horizontal sway ahead/behind driver in focus when zoomed in, simulating the cameraman is trying to keep the driver in centered focus when car is driving by. Could also be a general sway in both horizontal and vertical direction, intensified the faster the camera has to move to keep car(s) in focus.

Thank you for your time
    Sincerely

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Blamer, Turk, mESCx and 6 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting ingame Replay TV cameras are black but with sound Apr 20, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Replays sterring locked Jan 31, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Slowmo Replay bug Dec 14, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Replay length May 24, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Trackside camera and chopper camera not showing in replay May 11, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality VR Replay cameras? May 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Can't set button for mid race save replay... May 7, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting 1.9 no replays May 1, 2023
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues ACC 1.9 replay speed bug Apr 21, 2023
    Audio Bugs & Issues replays : no sound above a certain distance with TV cameras Mar 30, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Highlights/ replays Jan 28, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Please add telemetry and full race replay Dec 24, 2022
    ACC User Interface Suggestion for much better replay- overview Dec 14, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error after saving replay - League race... Nov 7, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Full race replays...there is a tiny bit of hope? Oct 12, 2022

3. Rigel

Rigel Alien

I agree. What about something like this? It completely changes the perception of the car movements.

4. chakko

chakko Alien

No offense, but, i really hope they have more important things on their to do list.

5. Tberg

Tberg Alien

@Rigel, exactly! Camtool in ACC please, as standard replay cams :)

@chakko, sure they have more important stuff to do, but I find this a must if they plan to bring spectator mode, as well as ACC is gearing towards more e-sport. And, since it's not modable, this is needed somewhere on the to-do list, IMO. They go for realistic raindrops, they should go for realistic camera too.

Cheers!

Naer, f1webberfan and D.Jankovic like this.
  6. chakko

chakko Alien

It looks pretty cool, no doubt about that. They surely should consider it at some point.

Tberg likes this.
  7. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

Since my question is including replay realism really ... as well as real feel of course! ... I'll hijack this thread to raise my concerns.
    I know the ACC is still in alpha stage but ... the latest batch of screenshots and videos got me worried.
    I'll try to explain in more details what bothers me in the screenshots below.

First, the cockpit view illumination:
    upload_2018-7-19_13-40-26.png
    1.What is this shadow car on the top of the view? In the cyan ellipse? Will that be the rear-view mirror?
    2.Look at the direction of the headlights - yellow lines. They are way too narrow. They should illuminate more, like shown with the purple arrows.
    Just compare these 2 headlight placements with this real life screenshot:
    upload_2018-7-19_13-43-27.png
    3.The red arrows indicate the illumination in the cockpit. Or rather the lack of it.
    Just look at the below screenshot when we have a car right behind:
    upload_2018-7-19_13-44-50.png
    We even have the reflections of the headlights and still no or not enough cockpit illumination.

So how about some more illumination as a whole?
    upload_2018-7-19_13-49-46.png

Second ... how about some more fine tune and more detail added to the headlights and reflections in night:
    upload_2018-7-19_13-50-51.png
    The above just seems too generic.

What do you guys think?

SidewayzShuffle// likes this.
  8. Serge M

Serge M Alien

I think you might very well have WAY too much time on your hands :)

Seriously though, there’s just no point in overthinking and hyper analysing anything at this early stage

Pulley, liakjim, Glaurung and 4 others like this.
  9. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

Actually it is the opposite. :)
    I like to plan ahead for stuff. So I thought it will be not such a bad idea to point these things out.

SidewayzShuffle// and Blamer like this.
  10. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Yeah, in retrospect my OP was maybe already too much too early, but since the AC replays was never officially changed to look like the Camtool mod, I think it is a valid suggestion to ACC.

How the lighting works is something entirely different than camera work, really OT here I think, sorry.

Best

trucidatio likes this.
  11. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

Isn't it part of the whole replay presentation? :)
    That is why I used the OP at the 1st place.
    I mean ... replays ... must improve for ACC.

12. Freddie Seng

Freddie Seng Hardcore Simmer

pre alphaaaa.png

You've done your homework that's good but you still missed the most important bit what a shame

liakjim likes this.
  13. and that's ignoring the elephant in the room which is: not a single thing of what he reported has anything to do with replays.. but what can you do?

Freddie Seng and chksix like this.
  14. Loeki

Loeki Gamer

Dear Stefano,

Let us assume this was a new thread :) YES this is early access and YES we are allowed to give constructive feedback on your work in progress. Which is very promising by the way :).
    I think the guy made a valid point with a lot of effort, properly documenting his observations. You should be happy with people like this in the community and praise their contribution.

Off topic: Thinking of coming to Spa next week-end. It's a pity we have to pay 70 euro in stead of the normal 40 euro entrance fee, just to get to see your baby. Any solutions to this? :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work!

15. Sadly we are guests there so we have to put the simulators where our hosts have their hospitality and that's in an area only accessible with the paddock tickets.

16. Loeki

Loeki Gamer

Thanks for the reply!
    I'll leave u with: maybe I see u at Spa ;)

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  17. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

He could've done his homework even better, he's comparing a Porsche onboard (open cockpit) with the Ferrari (solid firewall behind the driver), so there would be no light coming into the cockpit from behind in that car.

18. Psit

Psit Alien

maxresdefault.jpg
    :D

D.Jankovic likes this.
  19. Orne

Orne Alien

You simply cannot compare what an on board camera can see lighting wise vs. what you eyes could actually see in the same situation in real life. Adjust the aperture to outside lighting and the exposure is too dark inside the car, adjust the aperture for inside the car and the exterior view is too bright. Our eyes don't have this problem, they adjust to the lighting differences quicker, its virtually imperceptible.

Although if you've never operated a digital or film camera in manual mode, you'll have no clue about this.

How the onboard camera see light is completely different from what the human eye which is far more sophisticated when dealing with differences in lighting intensity.

Very similar to a real life driver commenting on how the onboard camera microphone doesn't pick up the multitude of sounds the engine, brakes and other components in the car make.

chksix likes this.
  20. f1webberfan

f1webberfan Simracer

The Porsche onborad is just a random screenshot to illustrate my point that there should be more light coming into the cockpit when you have a car behind or BESIDE you when you are passed.
    But OK here is the Audi and a Lambo behind it.
    upload_2018-7-22_11-37-16.png

I'm a bit surprised this was taken as a bite to ACC, instead of constructive criticism as this was what was intended.

@Orne - Yes, yes. You can't compare what the eyes see to what the camera will translate.
    But what about some basic stuff that I thought should be there in the game already.

@Freddie Seng
    I think, I already noted that I understand that this is alpha footage so I too believe things will evolve and improve.

I thought watching a replay from the onboard ... is still watching a replay. ;)
    But OK. Too early to ask.
    But I prefer to have this pointed out and proven wrong in beta, instead of NOT pointing these things out and being let down on release date! ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    SidewayzShuffle// and Loeki like this.
  21. so you think that what you've pointed out is only visible in replays?

f1webberfan likes this.