1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Setting up the toe, how and why !

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Guillaume Francois, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Hi everyone, i have some knowledge on how to setup my cars but, i'm going mad every time with the TOE !

Here a picture for everyone just in case :)

[​IMG]

And please correct me if i'm wrong lol, but if i have correctly understood the value in game:

a negative value is toe out (almost every car has toe out on the front then, seems strange to me lol)
    a positive value is toe in.

Cheers :D and thanks in advanced !

Ricky Reject and Leemstradamus like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Bug with toe settings? Jan 19, 2022
    ACC Physics Question about toe settings in setup May 29, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Setting toe Jan 21, 2018
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues 288 GTO UI Toe setting Confusion. UI Error? Oct 11, 2017
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Toe settings bug porsche pack 1 ps4 Dec 4, 2016
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Increasing toe setting on front = toe-in, decreasing toe setting on rear = toe-in Jan 17, 2014
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Lotus 49 - Toe settings problem Dec 17, 2013
    Physics Bugs & Issues Camber and toe settings on KTM Dec 2, 2013
    ACC Troubleshooting Camera Settings / Some settings not working Binding Apr 15, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer ACC Server Setting Apr 7, 2024
    ACC User Interface View settings doesn't get saved anymore [A/V intervention] Mar 9, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Track grip settings Mar 4, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting AI Skill resetting to 100% when loading a saved game Feb 21, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Where do you find the the driver assist settings? Jan 31, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions View settings locked Jan 27, 2024

3. Nao

Nao Alien

The problem here is, as in real life, in AC we adjust toe by varying the length of steering arms. That is the value in the setup filed is not angle, it's length (in some cars like Evora GTC it is even shown in milimeters instead of "ticks"). Now depending on the position of steering arm in real car (in front or on the back of the wheel) adding length to steering arm will either increase or decrease toe angle.
    Other than that it's as your picture say, fronts of the tyre coming closer together = toe-in = positive angle on the live information panel.

Bottom line: just watch the live toe values on the right side to be sure of correct setup change.

4. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Racer

Lol - nice one , I always think about my feet / point my toes inward= positive / point my toes outward Charlie Chapplin = negative :D:D

5. From Wiki:

In automotive engineering, toe, also known as tracking,[1] is the symmetric angle that each wheel makes with the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, as a function of static geometry, and kinematic and compliant effects. This can be contrasted with steer, which is the antisymmetric angle, i.e. both wheels point to the left or right, in parallel (roughly). Positive toe, or toe in, is the front of the wheel pointing in towards the centreline of the vehicle. Negative toe, or toe out, is the front of the wheel pointing away from the centreline of the vehicle.[2] Toe can be measured in linear units, at the front of the tire, or as an angular deflection

Cya ;)

Leemstradamus likes this.
  6. CanOx

CanOx Simracer

:eek:

7. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Doh, I've been doing it wrong. Do most race cars have toe in or toe out? I've been wacking a ton of negative toe on most of my car setups...?

jarqus likes this.
  8. Snoopy

Snoopy Alien

Also what is the explanation behind toe changing car behaviour? I get it for the rear, but the front?

9. er540

er540 Racer

More negative = better turn in, less stable braking. On my hotlap setup i'm usually set some toe out.

10. Vampire

Vampire Alien

11. Arch

Arch Alien

Toe out in the front:
    Faster turn in, slower midcorner on some tires, more unstable braking, more heat, looser more inaccurate steering. I set toe in the front so I get a neutral toe value when braking, so sometimes I will use positive, usually negative.

Toe in in the front: Slower turn in compared to rear end of car, tighter and more accurate steering, stable braking, more heat. As above, I set toe based on toe value when braking. I never want positive toe when braking hard, but I do want negative. I don't want excess negative either because it will cause oversteer that is unwanted.
    Depending on geometry, bumpsteer either increase toe out, or toe in. Bumpsteer does not always increase toe out.

Toe out in the rear: Avoid. Unstable car, not even good for drifting. All kinds of problems cause the rear end turns in far faster than the front.

Toe in in the rear: Set a bit. Allows the car to corner at a higher speed and not oversteer if it's otherwise neutral, increases heat, slower turn in but more controlled, more controlled braking. Car does not want to change direction mid slide so easily, especially during understeer.

Toe is very important and can turn an understeering POS to a neutrally balanced car. I go to toe first when I get handling problems.

12. Charlie Chapplin, you sir made my day lmao :D,

Thanks everyone for the answers, hope could help other racers as well who knows !

See you on tracks !! :D

JoeMoore and kofotsjanne like this.
  13. So just to be sure here an example:

When i look to the live information panel:

if the value of the TOE is under 0 i got negative TOE / TOE out, otherwise,
    if the value of the TOE is greater 0 i got positive TOE / Toe in.

My whole life was a lie til now :')

14. Snoopy

Snoopy Alien

You have to look at the actual readings on the right. You could be at 15 at still have 0 toe. Depends on the car.

15. Yep i knew that from the start, never looked at the trigger on the left it means nothing for me so ^^

16. er540

er540 Racer

Yes.

Guillaume Francois likes this.
  17. Also depends on the pit lane, which is why AC's set up system is such a POS.

Generally toe in on the front and toe out on the back. If it is a FWD then some toe out on the front.

Guillaume Francois likes this.
  18. Snoopy

Snoopy Alien

Articles on the internet say exactly the opposite.

19. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

Dont forget how braking and weight transfer alter the toe.

When you apply weight you get more negative toe, camber etc.. Sonthe harder you brake the more negative toe you will get.

The same goes for the back, if you have -0.05 toe out on the rear when stood still you would find that under heavy braking you will get +0.10..because weight decreases and the rear end lifts..

Ideally you would want neutral toe on the rear un the hardest of braking zones.

The more toe out you give a car the more direct and pinpoint it will feel on initial turn in but it will be harder to maintain that turn in arch and start to give you mid corner understeer.. So you want to reduce it as much as you can but still maintain a nice turn in.

20. speedbee

speedbee Hardcore Simmer

What I want to know is whether assetto corsa simulates changes to the toe while driving. For example, when a rear wheel car accelerates the rear tyres are forced forward, increasing toe in. And while braking they are forced backwards increasing toe out. Also, for front wheen cars the same happens.

21. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

It does. Go to the suspension app set it so it shiws a value of 0.00 and accelerate and brake and you will see the T value change as you would expect.

But T also incorporates turn aswell so try not to turn you wheel whule doing the test, when i did it last night the values didnt chage as much as id of expected them to but that could of been tge stiff setup so i suggest you use a softly sprung car for best results