1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - Generic discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by bgil66, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coanda

Coanda Alien

There is a little confusion surrounding these two options. @Minolin Do these settings only apply to the dash cam view or all views as each view have these options?

2. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

"Dashcam factor" = Only Dashcam is affected
    100 = exactly the same movements and shaking you see in your Cockpit cam (which can be 0 if you have it off)
    0 = completely static Dashcam, regardless of your Cockpit cam settings

Coanda, tjr and Rolz like this.
  3. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

I am in the process of building a full motion rig (SFX100), which setting should I use?
    I want the road to stay still but the car to move around as the motion rig moves.
    I will obviously be using an 'in car' camera.

4. Minolin

We offer two *very* different options here. The cockpit movement reflects the helmet movement in 3D, which is quite realistic and also hands out some sense of speed and sensation - but it does not touch the angles you look at (completely opposite to the helmet cam). You can even literally see harder suspension setup here. I really like this movement as it doesn't really sacrifice much in terms of filtering, but adds a lot of immersion.

The other one is the "Lock to horizon" setting. If set to 0, your target viewpoint is always static and connected to the car. Which means your "look at" point is always equal to your car body's orientation - and if the car is pitching, e.g. due to load changes or vibrations like curbs, your "look at" point / center of screen on the track will go up and down by centimeters. Here comes the magic: If you're really driving a car (even a super stiff and raw race car), the combination of inner ear, eyes and brain wires will completely remove all of this (up to an impressive point, think of step-curbs which will introduce bluriness due to the vibrations). First the eye movement is insanely quick to adjust, then the rest comes by brain algorithms. You will always focus on where you look at on a track. It's incredible.

However this filtering does not work while sitting on a simulator in your living room, as we lack the corresponding forces (and they have to be quite exact, but more important free of lag) and the inner ear is useless*, that is you focus on a pixel on the screen instead of the part of the virtual track you try to look at. Having lock to horizon set** to 100% makes ACC do this work for you, and your camera automatically does the compensation movements in order to let the track part appear statically on the pixel(s) you focus. That of course comes to the price that you also see your cockpit/virtual wheel/dashboard/car moving and pitching relative to your screen - which many do not like once the rig is setup in a way where you have a good position - in example your real wheel is exactly where your virtual one would be; the FoV, distances, angles and so on perfectly match. Then having all of this moving ingame feels (very) wrong, of course.

That would be my answer for usual cockpits and rigs - but you are talking about a motion rig. And I have to say, I have no idea. I doubt that motion rigs can be much more than a sensation machine (though they probably do this very well), at least they cannot really help you with what I was referring to - forces are always wrong and late, can't beat physics here. But I hope my explanations help you to understand the tools, and you can find a cool setup.

*btw. also the major part of VR motion sickness. The immersion is so complete that your brain takes everything it sees for granted, and then all of a sudden notices: "We are moving, but my inner ear does not recognize ****", because the inner ear sits comfortably in the real living room while the rest of the brain is driving a race car / rollercoaster / flying around. The evolutionary most reasonable assumption is a malfunction based on poison, maybe the mammoth steak was spoiled. So we need to invent (very, very serious) sickness which eventually makes us throw up the bad food.
    Same applies to why some of us cannot read books in cars, but the other way round: Brain is distracted and focuses on the static pages, but inner ear sends forces that do not really match to what we see. Same for sea-sickness, and it's not a coincidence that all of those "sicknesses" are comparably prominent for different humans. Good news: Training off VR motion sickness will raise your ability to read books and enjoy ships :D

**so my best guess for a "Lock to Horizon" setting is: as low as possible, but enough to get you more relaxed at looking at the track. 20% can already be enough, 60% is a really useful value; more possibly just introduces too much relative car movement. But the exact value depends on many things, including FoV, screen size, distance to screen

Ischemica, Thug, marty73 and 10 others like this.
  5. Coanda

Coanda Alien

OK that now makes better sense. I was confused because this option shows up in the UI under every view.

So if I have completely understood this movement enabled/disabled only applies to cockpit view, not helmet, hood or top view etc...?

If this is spot on then maybe a UI adjustment would be handy to only show options for the corresponding view. What do you think?

6. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I'll answer my own question. Yes. I forgot about the good old "generalMovement" option in the cameraSettings.json.

Please consider disabling/greying out options that are not applicable to the view.

7. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

These basterds enjoying new content before us day one early access guys

Also is that just me or the rain has been vastly improved in that version?

8. carlossanchez97

carlossanchez97 Hardcore Simmer

Well, they are journalists and RD has a very good relationship with Kunos, so it wouldn´t bother me if they could play the game earlier. Also, it could have been recorded in Monza or even recorded by Kunos themselves and sent to RD.

9. jpeixe

jpeixe Gamer

I dont understand this "privileges". This makes me sad...

Yes seams the rain is improved.

10. carlossanchez97

carlossanchez97 Hardcore Simmer

Really?

11. chakko

chakko Alien

Was that even meant serious? :)

carlossanchez97 likes this.
  12. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Rain looks like in 0.7. Still room for improvement, I think, but it already has been improved quite a bit.

13. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

This guys have a broken sarcasm detector.
    Your works! congratulations!

elchshooter and Raklödder like this.
  14. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

You’ve certainly done your homework here! The theory of the “caveman brain” reacting to ingesting something bad being what VR sickness is comes from a Joint US Air Force / NASA study in VR training pilots to mid air refueling using simulators. This study was published in the mid 1980’s and it was determined that to avoid it the user needed 9 feet (3 meters) of distance to the VR screen due to a lack of a plane of reference. Etc etc.

15. Coanda

Coanda Alien

There is no time advance option I don't know about in in SP session is there?

16. Minolin

Interesting! Didn't know about that study, looks like you have done more than only your homework here :D

Can't follow this part.. So they say distance alone fixes this? I had the impression that you'd even get sick inside a huge dome around you, as long as it lacks references and puts your brain into the mode of accepting this reality.

Lawndart likes this.
  17. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

The use case was fueling booms that extended from the side of the aircraft close to the pilots head, like the A6 intruder and A7 Corsairs, so it was determined there were 3 planes of reference to human vision. Near, mid, far. In VR, there is only 2. Mid and far. And though visually this can almost look right, the brain hates it. And when it desyncs it sends signals to the brain that the body injested something bad. The report specifically calls out mushrooms. But to include the near plane, it was determined that it couldn’t be overcome in tricks so it was figured out to be a 9 foot radius around the pilot. So they built sim “rooms” with anything being within 9 feet needed to really be there. Keeping in mind, this was not a commercial study, but one for military application. How did they do this in headsets? Well this is where we haven’t caught up with the 80’s and they used headsets you could see through. And this later evolved into the helmet mounted huds in F2000’s and Apache gunships.

VR tech hasn’t really evolved, just got cheaper, as most things do in time. I believe it was the mid to late 90’s when I was reading all these studies when I was working for a leading game publishing company, wanting to come up with something for the VR1 headsets of the day. Ironically? Those headsets had removable shield over the lenses ;)

18. Minolin

Great stuff :D
    After having the pleasure to experienced the DK1 right away, I'm not sure if I want to know how a military grade VR set from the 80s felt like ;)

Lawndart likes this.
  19. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

I think it's because of the graphic settings, there is a good balance between contrast, luminosity and color saturation.
    So each drop of water has good depth, it gives some relief to the picture.

20. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

New 650S Video. What's really interesting, is the wheel movement looks very good to me when the car slides. Just minor corrections to counter steer a bit and the car comes back. Not sure if it's the car, setup or FFB....but it looks very natural in this video for some reason.