1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Progressive system penalty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darcy Callai Junior, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Ideally yes, however there is a greater puncture risk from using run off areas, definitely not 90% and probably not anywhere close to 50%, but certainly a greater risk than using the real tarmac.

2. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I wouldn't be disappointed to see debris from damaged cars on and off track but that's just wishful thinking.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Champion Hero likes this.
  3. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

Inspired by your post I tried to figure out a more "pro"-automatic penalty system.

Requires we implement a few more factors, of which I guess only @Lord Kunos knows if possible :
    1. TouchB (touched by car from behind)
    2. TouchF (touched by car braking in front)
    3. DCut (distance from track cut start)
    4. BDFC (brake distance from corner start (edited)) This is a bit tricky as (I guess) it has to be collected from server info. Corner start definition: (Edit) "All the points/places where cars are going slower / starts to brake AND/OR driver's wheel are turning more than eg. 40 degrees".
    5. SpeedX ("this cars nominal max speed at this track", also either imported from info at the server OR can be manual input)

6. (Bonus edit) LOCC (loss of car control).
    To help the system to determ "who is the bad guy" in 1.st corner, some loss-of-car-control receptor could be implemented too.
    In a mix with the suggestions beneath, car sliding and locking brakes could be messured:
    1. IF Car1 is sliding more than 1.x sec AND has NOT been hit from behind it is probably dangerous driving (remember this is for corner 1).
    2. Same for locking brakes.
    If this car is hitting other cars then it's probably that driver's fault.
    Now implement this together with same rules as beneath (IF Car1 is hit by Car2 AND then sliding = penalty for Car2 - etc.).

Cuts:
    IF "Car1" leaves track AND speed is higher than eg. "1/3 SpeedX" ("this cars nominal max speed") when car is back at the track = Corner cut warning.
    Exceptions: If DCut (distance from track cut start) is bigger than eg. 75 meters OR time outside track is bigger than eg. 5 seconds = no penalty.
    (If the DCut distance is long enough, no time have been gained. If time outside track is big enough, no time have been gained).

Collisions:
    IF "Car1" is touched (pushed) by "Car2" from behind eg. within 2 sec before leaving track = No penalty for "Car1" but a warning for "Car2" - same as a Corner cut warning. (TouchB)
    That goes for Car3, Car 4 etc. as well, so that if eg. Car 3 is crashing into Car2 which crashes into Car1 = penalty only for Car3.
    Exceptions: IF Car1 is braking with eg. brake pressure higher than 60% on a straight AND the distance to next corner is 5-10 m. bigger than BDFC (distance from next corner start) AND Car2 touch Car1, then penalty for Car1 (TouchF).
    ((This is to avoid unfair braking by car in front to provoke a penalty for the car(s) behind).

I would like a reply on these two systems implemented.
    This is a no way finished "system", but maybe not crazy hard to implement, yet much more fair, optimized and simple to understand for drivers, as well as more realistic than the 5 sec penalty.
    If it is possible to gather these imformations, this will also go for any modded car or track.

Anyway, at first we need Stefano to tell whether these things can be drawn out of the servers and implemented "on the fly" or not?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Quffy likes this.
  4. CmB

CmB Rookie

can someone tell me if there is even an official announcement that there will be a proper penalty system soon ?
    Because AC really needs one :/

5. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

Howdy.
    Go to page 7 and start reading some of the posts from Lord Kunos (the avatar with a little sweet cat).
    I might learn you to fish as well :)

6. Quffy

Quffy Alien

no no no.. it is "I might teach you.." the student learns, the teacher teaches :p

kofotsjanne and ChokDK like this.
  7. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Punctures dont happen at all in AC yet but it should be more likely to get a puncture or damage suspension if running off track over big kerbs at very high speeds. I have not seen any suspension or tyre damage even if going 300kmh over a sausage kerb with 100% damage.

7he4Ce likes this.
  8. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

I have. Broken steering (very last corner in Vallelunga, right curb)

Phil64 likes this.
  9. Phil64

Phil64 Simracer

Me too. X Bow - Trento. Broken steering.

ChokDK likes this.
  10. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I guess I dont actually try to hit these but will give it a proper stress test. At trento did you break steering hitting a wall or a kerb as there aren that many high kerbs I can remember. Steering can break with a collision but I hoped for damage kind of like this from abusing kerbs.

11. Phil64

Phil64 Simracer

It was hitting a wall. My T500 was around 60 degrees off centre to go in a straight line afterwards.

12. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Chokd has done it on a kerb which I havent managed yet but have had it happen quite often in races with a collision. Even though this is getting a little ot having the fear of maybe wrecking your race by taking too much kerb is a good way to keep people on the track.

It also sorts the better drivers out and why I love street circuits like Monaco and Macau. There is no cutting here but a good driver will still use as much track as possible without abusing the limits which is a wall in this case of a street circuit. Its the same at every track and kerbs are placed as hazards in many sections to keep cars from abusing track limits.

Many real series put apex tyre bundles on track to keep cars within the track boundaries on quite a few corners and chicanes.

V8 supercars use a transponder system to count 4 wheel cuts and gives a drive through if you exceed the cut limit on some tracks. In qualifying exceeding track limits by setting off the transponder just disallows the lap time.

13. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Not sure if it's a bug (probably), but if you damage a tire enough to puncture it, it only goes flat after you reset to the pits.

14. Madsen

Madsen Hardcore Simmer

but i remember in that Massa video he did that more than once on that kerb 4 or 5 times so it shouldnt happen on your first fault ;)

15. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

if you could make the comparing to a reference lap(qualify lap, best lap, last lap, or in my opinion best: AI lap) work,
    the difference should be calculated like this, it is much more accurate than the performance delta we have in game.

Code:
    i = bisect.bisect_right(bestposlist,pos) - 1 # index of nearest stored pos value smaller than current pos
    c = float(besttimelist[i+1] - besttimelist[i]) / (bestposlist[i+1] - bestposlist[i]) # coefficient
    interpolatedlaptime = besttimelist[i] + c * (pos - bestposlist[i])
    t = (laptime - interpolatedlaptime)/1000. # delta to bestlap in seconds
    bestposlist and besttimelist are just two float arrays filled like this:
    Code:
    laptime = ac.getCarState(0, acsys.CS.LapTime) # current lap in milliseconds
    pos = ac.getCarState(0, acsys.CS.NormalizedSplinePosition) # current position on lap [0-1].
    if pos > prevpos:
          timelist.append(laptime) # save current elapsed laptime at this position
          poslist.append(pos) # save current position
    prevpos = float(pos)

jasjeet and Minolin like this.
  16. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

I can't give it a like, 'cause I don't know what it is really :)
    But it looks interesting...

Champion Hero likes this.
  17. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Haven't looked into the geometry accesible by apps, but I'd suggest a generic measurement, which is calculated to a "rating" equivalent to the seriousness of the cut. Server admins could configure different thresholds for any action triggered, depending on the server's purpose as well as the track.

Example: the first chicane in Monza, I tried to

1) draw a normal vector to the apexes of the corners (gray/blue), that needed to be calculated. I'll look into that in the evening.
    2) draw three paths: green is the legit way; orange minor cut, maybe accidentially; red the really serious one that should be banned for lifetime.

monza_t1.jpg

I would try to measure a/b, which is the distance between apex and car while crossing the normal vector. We might use a² and multiply with the speed at this point and I'm sure we had a good rating for further actions.

Simplest usage in an example:
    Red crosses with 200 km/h at a distance of a = 30m.
    Orange crosses with 85 km/h at a distance of b = 10m
    Green doesn't even trigger the calculation because no tyres were out.

The first approach would lead to some numbers:
    Red: 30²*200 = 180.000
    Orange: 10²*95 = 8.500

Let's divide by 1000 and you get a difference in rating of 8,5 vs. 180. Let the server admins decide, at which rating a penalty kicks in, e.g. 5 or 10 rating.
    Or let us configure a ratio to the current penalty system, maybe 10 rating = 1 second penalty. So the orange cutter has 0.85 seconds, the real cutter 18. The penalty system doesn't matter, choose whatever we have/get. I just like the idea of a rating.

Edit: 18 s instead of 180 s

ears1991 likes this.
  18. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

no problem, I'm used to not get many likes ;)

It's python code to get the time difference between two laps at a given position.

ChokDK and Phil64 like this.
  19. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

This is very interessting for my approach.. NormalizedSplinePosition sounds great. If we mark the splinepositions of every apex per track we could determine the cross of car and apex- normal vector. Then we just needed the "real" position and everything is fine.

20. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

I think your approach works fine for one corner, you described it very detailed. I think it just is too much work to get it working for every corner, your "rating" would be hard to compare between two different corners. I think if they would choose an approach like yours, they would define different areas with different amount of penalty. But again, this would mean a lot of work and fine tuning.

Minolin likes this.