1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Sound Simulation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Vel, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Vel

Vel Simracer

A lot of sim chat and discussion seems invested in the physics modeling of a car and how it impacts the feel of a vehicle. Yet i rarely see too much casual discussion about audio and related modeling.

How does/did Kunos capture/create sound for AC's officially licensed cars?

No doubt some are educated guesses (one of a kind historical cars), or with approximations? Yet for currently manufactured race and road vehicles how does Kunos capture it?

Is the sound we hear intended to be the sound within a vehicle without or with a helmet on?

Seria17hri11er likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting ingame Replay TV cameras are black but with sound Apr 20, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Sound reverb everywhere AC Mar 16, 2024
    ACC Audio Jaguar G3 - Engine Sound issue Feb 25, 2024
    ACC Audio AMG GT2 Interior Sound Jan 30, 2024
    General modding discussion Sound in traffic Oct 24, 2023
    Audio Bugs & Issues Sound doesn't work on my speakers Jun 25, 2023
    ACC Audio Sound doesn't work on my speakers Jun 22, 2023
    Sounds modding No sound or game crash Jun 16, 2023
    Sounds modding Sound shiftdown - help please May 10, 2023
    Audio Bugs & Issues quiicksound Apr 20, 2023
    Audio Bugs & Issues replays : no sound above a certain distance with TV cameras Mar 30, 2023
    ACC Audio Kerb sounds Nov 2, 2022
    Sounds modding Adding horn sounds to a car Aug 30, 2022
    Sounds modding How to match engine rev limiter with sound? Aug 16, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Replay sound Aug 6, 2022

3. Turk

Turk Alien

For the most part they record sounds from all around the real car, I've seen pictures of them doing it. I think for the most part they had access to the real cars too.

They recorded inside the car and outside, I'd guess the helmet didn't come into it.

Seria17hri11er and Vel like this.
  4. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

Perhaps adding more to realism than the actual fidelity of the recordings is that sounds are actually played when they should be. For instance skids sound do match according to the level of skidding during corners, braking and acceleration.

I suspect engine load plays a factor on the engine sound as well. An engine running at 5,000 rpm with no load (clutch open) would not sound the same as an engine fighting full acceleration at the same 5,000 rpm. If they only record the engine sound with an unloaded engine, we might be missing something.

Another aspect could be whether the sounds play from the correct speaker on a surround system. E.g. rear speakers on a rear engine car, etc.

In general I'm happy with AC's sounds, this is coming with someone with 2.1 speakers though. I do wonder if more can be done in terms in realism.

Michele Papis likes this.
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I'd prefer they not attempt to represent muffled sounds heard while wearing a helmet; for those that want that, it's easy enough to filter the audio for such effects. Pcars had that feature in Helmet cam and they eventually added the ability to switch it off due to many complaints from players.

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

There are some titles that do a good job of creating Engine-Load effects with increased intensity in intake and exhaust sounds; iRacing comes to mind.

A title that has very nice tire sounds is Automobilista; despite it's sound-engine limitations, it's pretty easy to tell what tire is locking or at the threshold of grip-loss.

7. Vel

Vel Simracer

Perhas, indeed. However the intended question i note in the OP here is more ... I rather wonder how Kunos go about capturing or creating sound for AC. How long does it take? Are there any particular software tools or mics used? What is the technical goal when KS's audio dev's start crafting the audio experience of a vehicle? How are the different effects we hear created for the different sounds a car can make in AC. Be it the engine, tires, etc.

8. I would use a U87 with a wind screen. HP FLTR @ 80Hz

9. Theobris

Theobris Racer

I wouldnt mind knowing how they do it, but even if the sounds were 100% genuine, eveyone will get a different experience because of the speakers they use. Even if you spent a couple of thousand dollars on speakers you may not get anywhere near the real sound depending on the quality of the speakers and the amp subwoofer etc.