1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's play Game Designer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by stefanoCasillo, Apr 2, 2016.

?

If YOU were the AC Lead Designer, what would be your #1 priority for next update?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2016.
  1. Brake temp simulation

846 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. VR support

1,195 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Steer ratio/brake pressure setup adjustments

236 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. False starts/Engine stall

932 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. Custom championships

368 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Possibility to change skin in "Pickup Mode"

124 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Sparks/Flashing lights

205 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Improved water/radiators interaction and simulation

221 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. Time based races

217 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. Pit stop strategy

457 vote(s)
    9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xvg

xvg Gamer

No one knows if that it's the future or not so, re-code the game for a peripheral that not will be used for all people, it's a waste of time. And if you don't understand how necessary is Sparks/Flashing lights for night racing, says that you don't like real races.

2. pika4u

pika4u Hardcore Simmer

3. 0verfl0w

0verfl0w Racer

Re-coding of the engine would need to be done to support night racing so you can make use of your fancy flashing lights.
    VR support is not re-coding the game!

And btw..not everyone uses a wheel, but still we got wheel support in the game. Does that bother you as well?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    gisen and pika4u like this.
  4. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

A sim is a 'simulator', I guess that word is subjective.

For me a simulator is where I can simulate being sat in a car, holding a steering wheel, changing gears, going breakneck speeds around a course inches away from the next player trying to get to the front of a pack of other like minded players.
    Where I can physically look around my cockpit, look over my shoulder at the car next to my drivers door as I inch further and further away (or even look behind me). Where I can move my head forward and under my steering wheel just to look at my fuel guage. Where I can look into the apex to work out where I am going to clip it and where my exit is going to be.
    Where I am TOTALLY immersed in the game with no outside distractions.
    My gaming chair setup and butt kickers make this even better.

A simulator is not sat looking at a static screen 2 foot away from me whilst I sit on my swivel chair. when outside the corner of my eye I can see my cat licking its private bits.

No amount of brake fade, false starts, stalling, etc will EVER come close to the feeling of being TOTALLY in the zone that VR brings.
    I can agree that brake fade, temps and stalling can help with the immersion, but they are a fraction of it. In fact most of the time they wont even bother you. You may stall once in every dozen games, you may worry about brake discs over heating on lap 15. With VR the feeling is there from the start of the grid, until the VERY end of the race (and every moment in between).

The first time I asked a friend of mine to have a go at AC in VR he did the usual 'go hell for leather' around the track, until he came to the first hairpin where he went straight off the track and hit the Armco barrier. He literally jumped off the chair and ripped the Rift off his head because his brain told him that he had actually crashed for real. I could see the panic in his eyes.
    I suggest you try VR and then review your choice.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  5. Robyn

Robyn Gamer

But we don't need to look to the future, it's here right now. And a lot of people want to use it.

gisen and ears like this.
  6. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Obviously, the "few" who already got DK2 or preordered CV1, are anxious to have it supported by AC. So they scout this forum often, asking for VR support over and over again, because sure it is likely a big let down, here and now, to have/get VR and not be able to use it in AC. The rest of us non-VR folks trust in features will come and things take time, not too worried. And we´re by far still the biggest part of the community.
    Of cause those who invested in VR will be voting this poll like crazy, while many forum members don´t even vote and move along.

7. xvg

xvg Gamer

How many simracing games support night races? How many simracing games support or will supportVR? I see...

Both features requires changes on basic code game so, if they need to re-code the game , it's better to change something that everybody will use or will have the opportunity to use in one click, than something that requires +500 eur. for the peripheral and other 1000 eur. to have a pc to manage it fine...

8. Robyn

Robyn Gamer

Xvg instead of only thinking about how to please existing players you should maybe consider it from the other angle of bringing in new players. It's worth development time if it generates money.

I hope you understand and don't think I'm attacking you. Oh BTW I'm not planning on getting VR for a year or two. I just want to see AC continue its success that's all. And rightly or wrongly I believe VR is worth the effort.

Besides, who doesn't love renderer level coding?! Right Stefano? :p

xvg and ears1991 like this.
  9. neel

neel Racer

I also suggest "fixing MP collision issue(s)".

I wonder how many would vote for that over, mhhh, let say, adding sparks ? o_O

Sorry for the bit of sarcasm in this reply Stefano, but so much time has passed already since the game was released and still so subpar MP collisions, really ruining MP for this game.
    And now we can even say the game will have been ported to consoles before the appropriate work has been done to fix this and offer the MP collisions quality such a great sim would deserve:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-twice-stronger-than-they-should.19454/page-8
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ted-collision-energy-transferred-1-1-6.24397/
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ng-maybe-giving-exaggerated-collisions.31029/

10. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

And the people who don't want VR implemented scount this forum often, asking for VR support not to be implemented over and over again, because they want other features implemented.

Just because VR mafia want it to happen, doesn't mean it has to happen.

Just because anti VR mafia don't want it to happen, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Nobody is 'voting like crazy'. Forum members are seeing the poll and casting a vote for the feature they'd like to see implemented first.

If any members don't vote and move along then they have no preference about what gets implemented next. It doesn't mean that they would all have voted for the feature you want to get the most votes.

Not just this poll, but this whole thread, has proved that VR in AC has a much bigger following than certainly I thought it had. These people are not 'few'.

I think most people are agreed that a complete VR implementation in AC would be one of the top 3 VR experiences in any headset. It will draw non sim racing enthusiasts to AC because people who have VR want experiences.

175,000 DK2s were sold
    15,000 HTC Vives were sold immediately after orders were launched
    Oculus didn't give precise figures but said all their stocks were sold out

If you want to talk numbers - how many new sim racers would brake fade, false starts, sparks, custom championships bring into the game? Maybe the people who want those things already play other sims and are happy?

But how many new players would full VR support bring? People with exciting new hardware desperate for new experiences.

11. 0verfl0w

0verfl0w Racer

Well in comparison to the whole userbase that plays AC, the people that post in this forum are a minority.
    So if you really think that "you" - the forums guys that want to have added things like brake fade etc. (which btw includes me as well!!!) - are the biggest part of the community, you are simply wrong.

Anyway Kunos decided to do a poll for the relatively small forum community.
    Out of this minority there is a clear winner in the poll, so please just except that.

And if all other members want something different than VR, but are just too lazy to vote, than they should get up of their BIG FAT *** and take the chance, that Stephano has offered.

And even if VR wins this poll, Stephano has clearly stated that it won't automatically be done at all.
    Maybe their timeline says that it would be better to included option 2-5, because it can be done way easier than VR support....

12. 0verfl0w

0verfl0w Racer

How many people will do multiplayer, multi class night races? I see....
    Probably as few as the ones using VR.

gisen, Lukimator, ears and 1 other person like this.
  13. xvg

xvg Gamer

Well...but...ok agree :(
    Only leagues and crazy people who uses GT3 on Nordschleife endurance instead Nordschleife tourist haha :p

Cheers

14. neel

neel Racer

What about TC ?

I've always (at least often) been very good at manual starts over 3 seasons in my league since game realease, then I started failing. Race after race, all my manual starts were utter crap, litteraly glued on track and passed by 5 cars.

As I'm always doing some manual start training for each race I wondered what could I have changed that suddlenly made me go from so good manual starts to those utter crap ones. Then I realized I was using TC (lowest level), as we switched car for the 2nd half of the season.

So I decided to do the start with TC off for the next race. Unfortunately I can't now remember for sure if it fixed my crap starts issue or not.

As a side note, as you also talked about the different clutch slip point from car to car, I will point out the fanatec csp v3 (and v2 too) that has this special mechanism to create this "hard point" somewhere in the pedal travel. And this hard point is "fixed", i.e. not configurable. So it's fine if by chance it coincides with the virtual clutch slip point, but if not...

15. Bags

Bags Rookie

ok i think i need to mention one thing about this whole VR support and the misnoma that you need a monster rig to run it etc.
    on driver .4 and .5 i would struggle to get a decent frame rate in Elite or Assetto (with many ai racers) in VR, it was a juddery mess. Since 1.3 has hit there is no more judder and i am running max settings (obviously on elite as we arent there yet with assetto.)

My CPU is an i5 2500k and the card is a MSI 780GTX. I have 8 gigs of ram and no solid state drive. Oculus home tells me my system is rubbish and cant handle VR. When i run any of their programs and i mean any of them, its smooth as butter and absolutely perfect. I believe that they have artificially raised the minimum specs to sell graphics hardware etc. I think they are in bed with NVidia and Intel and people need to realise they do not need the minimum specs to get a good vr experience, especially if still running the DK2. The 1.3 driver has been out a week and i haven't seen judder or frameskip once since. I'm sure the increased res and framerate of the CV1 will need a little more hardware but the difference with the new driver is night and day!

I will stick with my DK2 until CV1 is at a price i can afford or until the driver breaks it, i have stopped playing Assetto until its supported also as the driver switch is now more complicated and my pc does not seem to like it. I also can not go back to a monitor on a racing game. LFS will do me until this works again. Scawen implemented it a couple of days ago and its perfect.

One other point. I am willing to bet that anyone that says VR should not be implemented has either:-
    A) rushed into using it and become sick from it or
    B) has never tried it (In Assetto Corsa at least, tech demos are cute and all but dont really count!). You cant describe it. Its like trying to describe a flavour. you have to experience it but please stop knocking it until you have!

Its not going to be this expensive for long and you can use some fairly basic hardware to run it. My cpu is over 5 years old and the graphics card is also long in the tooth. The simple fact of the matter is that its sim racing. the clue is in the name. the closer you can simulate the experience the better and VR adds more in that respect than any other mod / change / upgrade you could possibly do, to your pc or within the game code.

TL:DR - Don't knock it until you try it and you dont need a titan to run it!

gisen and Robyn like this.
  16. Lino Carreira

Lino Carreira Hardcore Simmer

Shouldnt you people just choose an option and begone with it, i dont think that Stefano's ideia was to see YET another wishlist thread or a discussion here..... let me know if this is a wish list thread, ill gladly plaster mine here too....

ears likes this.
  17. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

VR will always be good for checking the quality of the stitching in the roof lining or that the missus hasn't dropped her makeup bag in the footwell where it could interfere with the pedals I guess :D God forbid that VR users are going to be driving around in front bumper cam mode..... that's really simulating the driving experience.

Sorry, I'm feeling extremely mischievous after good news about a new job :). I've got nothing against VR in the slightest and it is "the future". My cynical nature just won't allow me to see or justify the benefits over the current "traditional" viewing arrangements that I have. There's no getting around the fact that developers will have to provide for VR, I just wouldn't be jumping in until the technology is a little more proven maybe and can really justify the need to change (for all those who say once you've tried it you'll never go back, well, I have tried it and wasn't overwhelmed).

As far as AC goes, It's Kunos' toy and it's up to them which way they go with developing. They don't have to justify anything to anyone other than the shareholders. VR will come, those who think that topping this poll means it's coming next are slightly deluded methinks.

It's early in the day... but it's time to celebrate :D

18. Ted_R

Ted_R Racer

Thanks for posting this Baggs , it answered a lot of questions I had.

Bags likes this.
  19. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Well excuse me for not communicating my point clearly, but fact is that there´s 66% of voters that want something else than VR. And I´m pretty sure that the majority of DK2 owners playing AC have been around these forums, leaving the rest of the userbase out that probably doesn´t have VR or think about spending a dime on it before it´s actually available.

If anything, Stefano should or should not have included VR support in the poll, as it potentially divides VR and non-VR users here.

That said, would I feel let down if KS chose to work on VR before anything else in the poll? Not really :)

Best,
    T

20. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

It's actually available.

And I love your take on democracy. So in the UK, 60% of voters didn't want the Conservatives in Government, so even though they won the most votes, they should never have been allowed in.

But we'll go with your logic. Now the problem is 80% of people who voted want something other than false starts. And 87% want something other than brake fade.

So everybody wants nothing.

@Lord Kunos get your sunglasses out. You can have a holiday.

kalabaleek, SimDrive, Minolin and 3 others like this.