1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Tire Pressure and camber adjustments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Bob Peirce, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

First, I'm new to AC. Second, I am trying to create a situation that matches my car on the track I drive most of the time. I'm getting close but tire pressures are throwing me, and keeping pressure and camber settings is eluding me.

First, the initial pressure is 26 cold and hot, which makes no sense. I generally start at 28 and after a few laps I'm up to 35-36, which is where I want to be. Does AC increase pressures over time? It isn't clear it does. I've tried setting the initial pressure to 35 but I don't really know if that stays there or not.

The maximum negative front camber on my car is -1.1. The AC default is -1.5, so I have to change it.

Second, it appears under some circumstances the pressures and cambers are reset and you have to change them again. Is it possible to save desired settings?

2. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Yes, pressures increase over time before settling into a steady state.

Yes, you can name and save your set up in the pits, in the leftmost set up section. It is car and track specific.

3. Rigel

Rigel Alien

Are we talking about the actual values, or the values written on the sliders? They can be a lot different.

4. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Wally, you had an app or something that recommended tyre pressures? What was the name of it?

5. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

Where/how can I check this? Every time I look at the data the hot and cold numbers are the same.

6. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I think that is the point. In this example, I am trying for a hot pressure of 35-36#, which is what I actually see on the track. On the slider the default is 25# or 26#, I forget. Am I to assume that is the pressure that will result in the hot pressure I actually want and where can I check that?

7. Is this the app you are looking for?
    [​IMG]

sissydriver likes this.
  8. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Proody likes this.
  9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Use the tyres app shown by @Michael Hornbuckle and be happy. It holds all the important information IMO.
    In the pits you set a cold pressure. Then you'll have to run some laps and check what static hot pressure you end up with. It should be the same for each tyre - as you surely know from RL.

ALB123, Aristotelis and sissydriver like this.
  10. Rudski

Rudski Alien

WallyM likes this.
  11. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I just discovered the built-in tire app yesterday and have been playing with it a bit. It shows the temps across the tread and with an alignment you can actually achieve in a Cayman R and a tire pressure of around 35# you get very even temps around 78°, which I assume is C; it would be way too low for F.

One caution, which may or may not apply, since I haven't dug into it much yet, Super Sports on my R are happiest round 35-36# hot. Other tires are happier at other pressures. SSs will actually get slippery at higher hot pressures. I don't see how AC can cope with that. Consequently, you may find higher or lower pressures work better in AC but it won't carry over to the track. Can anybody with dual experience comment on that? It is too early for me to know.

LeDude83 likes this.
  12. WallyM

WallyM Alien

In the AC tyre model, each compound has reduced grip if it is overpressured or underpressured, so it should simulate the effects of SS tyres that are overinflated.

13. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I understand that. What I was wondering is how it can cope with variations in actual tires? For example, one street tire may work best at 32, another at 36 and a third at 40. If the model works best at 40 but your tire works best at 32, inflating your tire to 40 to match the model isn't going to work, nor is it going to help you to learn that 32 is the correct pressure.

It turns out that while 35-36 seems to be about the right pressure for my tires on track, in the model I get less grip than I expect. I 'm using the actual alignment settings on my car and the heat is right, but I don't have enough knowledge to guess whether this is really a pressure issue or something else. Nevertheless, to start, I plan to play with higher and lower pressures to see if it will correct that. I'll just have to remember that what works best in AC may not work best on the track.

Once I get that figured out I can start playing with camber settings. I think they may translate to the car better. A lot of folks use GT3 lower control arms in their Caymans to get more front camber. I am still at -1.1.

14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Essentially, you would need exactly your tyre modeled in AC. And I'm afraid that's not possible unless you have some modder create your tyre for AC.

As a work-around, maybe just accept that grip levels, optimum pressures etc. in the AC car are a little different than for your RL tyres. Would that be a big problem? You could still tweak grip level differences with track grip setting in AC.

15. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

I believe you're still confused about cold and hot pressure.
    Also we usually offer street and semislick tyres for the cars, and those have slightly different optimum pressures.
    As far as I remember, the optimum pressure for the 718 cayman (hot) is around 30-32psi for semis and a bit higher 38-40 for streets

Leonardo Ratafia likes this.
  16. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

That's my plan. I know the right track pressures from experience. They may not be ideal but they are close enough for my needs. I'll see what works best in AC and just use it. That will give me a bye for other experiments.

17. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

That is very useful. I am currently using the semi-slick tires because they seem to act pretty much the way the car does on the track. However, I have been running them at 35# hot, which is what seems to work best on the track, but that makes them a bit slippery in AC so the first way to go is lower. I seem to recall the default hot pressure is 33#. Rather the default cold pressure gets to 33#.

18. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

As I said, I still believe you're confusing hot and cold pressures still as you've just written the same value for both conditions. Or at least I read it wrong and can't understand what you're saying, so here's the steps I advice you to take.

Situation 1: tyre blankets ON
    - The default COLD pressures are 25front-26rear.
    - The blankets will bring the temperatures to 80°C and then you'll have 33front-34rear
    Keep in mind that by racing (depending on the track/ambient temperature/weather) you'll raise or lower the temperature and this will raise or lower the pressure too. Open the "Tyres" app and check what you're pressures are doing.
    - I advice you to start with 22front-22rear

Situation 2: tyre blankets OFF
    - The default COLD pressures are 25front-26rear.
    - You will start with ambient temperature at your tyres, around 25°C
    - As soon as you will start driving, the tyres will get hotter, check with the "Tyres" app and adjust accordingly. Same advice as above applies

Also keep in mind, in simracing you always drive/slide more than in real life, because you don't feel the g forces. You might think you're not, but guaranteed you're doing it, always. So this will heat up your tyres even more and destabilize your car more.

19. Well, most people at least :p

20. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I'm pretty sure we're saying exactly the same thing. I didn't recall the default cold pressure but did know it got to about 33# hot. That would correspond to using the blankets. I'm going to try that first and then drop it a couple of pounds to see what happens.

The lack of Gs IS a major factor in trying to get the best out of this. You don't realize how important it is until you don't have it. I also find I completely lose track of how fast I am going (there is no sense of speed.) and have to pay more attention to the speedometer. I just don't have the same feel I do on track, but I hope that will improve with experience.

Aristotelis likes this.