1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driver Ranked Servers

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Winston, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Hi Guys and Girls,

I just watched part 2 of the interview on Race Department.
    You touched on ranked servers and that tyou were still deciding what to implement.
    Could I respectfully ask that you don't make the mistake of allowing open servers with no effective ranking as we will end up with everyone in those servers and no one in the raked ones.
    Un-ranked (or all ranked) servers need to be locked or better still not allowed at all.

Thanks for your time and continued great work.

LeDude83, Slowbloke and Minolin like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Driver Profile / Stats / Track / 24H Nürburgring Apr 3, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Viewing wrong car following driver swap Feb 4, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Where do you find the the driver assist settings? Jan 31, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions How to show the team name in the driver list Dec 31, 2023
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Codriver Server is up again. Nov 24, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer dedicated server cant set driver info "black background" Sep 24, 2023
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Safety rating - differences between driver statistics and ingame Sep 2, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Career Mode Extra Drivers? Jul 26, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Invisible steering wheel/driver and greyed out button Jul 23, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Please insert a report function for dirty drivers Jul 18, 2023
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Limited tracktime / driver Jul 5, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions XBOX Series X - driver swaps May 24, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Nvidia driver 531.68 issues. Apr 28, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room 2.4 Enduro Club - New solo driver endurance racing community Apr 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Driver Animation Porsche 911 Gt3 2023 Apr 20, 2023

3. trucidatio

trucidatio Gamer

I'm not sure I'm getting this right. You mean open servers (like the one I have rented with rackservice) shouldn't be allowed? I like the idea of a good ranking system, but I also like wacky races with my friends from time to time.
    Is there a place for these kind of racing in your vision?

4. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Its a tricky one as I would only ever race on servers with ratings and strict safety entry. But I see why some would want unranked servers, actually in AC I only use MR servers with AB or A limits nearly always.

However many seem to fail to see the benefits of these and so rather join unranked open servers then complain about those in it or want to kick all the bad drivers from the servers they are actually allowed in to. Rather then just join servers the bad racers cant get into but they could if they simply cleaned up their racing a bit. Its not an elitest mentality as being clean really isnt hard it just means you need to show others in servers some respect, trying your best not to ruin others experiance.

PC2 has shown that the general user will fail to give themselves a better experiance that ranked servers give when they have full free choice. Most chose to not use the ratings but love to complain about them not having the rating they thinknthey deserve. They also like to complain about lower rated guys crashing into them when the reason they are rated lower is because they regularly crash into others. ;) Performance ratings dont mean so much to me and I would only filter by strength if servers with strictes safety rating were also easily filling up.

There needs to be some way to encourage people to want to participate in ranked servers and to want to get as good a rating as possible to get into the best racing servers. There needs to be some sort of incentive to make people want to join the cleaner servers, I thought this was a no brainer as the stricter entry servers are a much better racing experiance. I really have nonidea how this can be done so loom forward to what Kunos and @Minolin try in this regard.

gandlers, Minolin and chksix like this.
  5. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

What I mean is if you want to run a server which is open to all drivers whether by setting the ranking that way or if kunos allows for servers to disable ranking then they should be password protected so you can share the password with friends and set the server up however you want.

So if you like .. private servers = password protected and set it up as you like, public however (not password protected) must be ranked. that way the system will work for everyone.

Presently with MR everyone is forced to either enter an usually empty ranked server (hoping to protect their rating) or join a dirty server with everyone else and wait for the carnage.

6. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Also now I think about it this feeds into the conversation regarding fragmentation caused by DLC .
    Hopefully Kunos will design in a way to prevent this i.e you don't have to own a car to see someone else with it in multilayer.
    So provided you have the track and at least one of the cars you can join.
    Ideally the only fragmentation should be track and ranking related but that probably isn't possible all of the time.

7. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Thats kind of where I think peoples general mentality surprises me. I dont join stricter ranked servers to protect my rating I do it because it means all that can get in are competant in traffic and the mp experiance is way better for it. I see no point in joining a busy open server where the majority cant even complete a lap or drive next to anyone without hitting them.

I dont have any issues with the poorer guys racing in MP but until they get to a competant level in traffic I really see no point in being in the same server as them. These guys if they want to avoid the wreckfest type servers can see easily how to clean up their driving and improve their rating to also avoid those types of servers.

If everyone in these servers also tries to clean up their driving a bit the more open servers will also become slightly better. A server with no ratings at all means no standards really, so would encourage wreckers mostly so I again would see no reason to want to join an open unrated server. Some find wrecking everyone fun but I dont which is why I avoid such servers and others should too. ;)

Ironically these "open" servers are worse the more people that are in them yet the vast majority only joins them when they are near full and at their worst.

8. Serge M

Serge M Alien

It’s weird how people consider the rank as the goal or some kind of status symbol. The goal is to race well with others I though, not to attain some artificial rank...

M Waechter, bgil66 and Schnipp like this.
  9. martcerv

martcerv Alien

For many its sadly just a status symbol but it actually has a purpose. To allow you to race with other people at a similar standard. Which is the entire point of a ranking system.

If someone for example finds it easy to get to and hold MR A then racing people that cant manage this means they are clearly worse in traffic and so cause way more collisions then guys rated higher. The rank simply shows how likely others are at racing cleanly so you choose how clean you want the others your racing with to be.

If you dont care if others on average hit another car every lap they drive then join servers accepting D grade. C grade may hit someone every 2 or 3 laps, B grade every 5 to 8 and A grade guys will hit someone less then once every 20 laps or so. Many less then a couple times every 1000km. ;)

Knowing that when you see in the server list if its MR ABCDN then you know what to axpect from those in there. Choosing what grades arent allowed in will determine the minimum standard of those getting in. No point complaining about driving standards in a server when you chose a server that allows people already identifeid as having poor driving standards. :D

If you dont use the ratings filter entry limits of those allowed into the server then it means nothing at all and may as well not be there.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  10. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Can I just say the term 'protecting your ranking' refers to maintaining your ranking so that if ever against all odds there is a populated ranked ( Ab only for instance) server you can still get in it. Clearly the rank has no other value.

The reason peple join dirty low ranked servers is because of the flaws in the current implementation and user are left with a choice of no multiplayer or dirty races.I can't tell you the hours I have spent in empty AB servers waiting for someone to join.

The surprising thing is not that people who would like clean racing choose a dirty server in preference to no racing, it's that you can have a ranking system that allows configuration such as ABCDN along with no ranking at all.

What about the following presents a problem....

Say a 5 tier ranking system,the lowest being the crasher lever, the next one up being entry level, then 3 levels above that,drivers can join their level or the one below. All public (no password), for private password protected your own configuration. What problems does this present and what does it not do that people want?

Thanks

11. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Look I completely get your logic but yor are missing sometning.

You know that when a software engineer writes a piece of software there is alaway the danger of users doing something really odd you hadn't predicted , also by the way it's not unusual for people to be protective or precious about their ideas.
    The reality is that people are doing exactly that , being unpredictable and setting up for instance ABCDN servers, this is the bigest part of the issue and logically non ranked servers also. Rather than bemoan the behavour you could just fix the system.This is a great opportunity to get it
    right

12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

People leave servers ABCN to get large numbers. If you want serious racing it’s best to join a league, even if you don’t necessarily want to race in their championships you will still know when they have practice and can join then. I think hoping to get decent size grids of skilled drivers spontaneously is sadly a bit much to ask.

13. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

People say this all the time but I think it shouldn't have to be either/ or .
    Someone has gone to the bother of creating the system to solve a problem , it just needs perfecting. Also as many have said, they like to join races on-line casually when they have time.Horses for courses and all that.

Additionally it would be good for everyone if new users could have a good on-line experience from the off.
    Leagues have their place and no one is advocating getting rid of them.
    This is about the on-line open server experience.

LeDude83 and martcerv like this.
  14. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Is there anything about my proposal you don't like or that you think would cause unforeseen issues

15. Serge M

Serge M Alien

The main thing I’d say is you really can’t remove people’s options. It’s not commercialy wise. It would be less impacting if the sim community was much larger. If I check servers in Australia now I’ll be lucky to see 20 people online Australia wide, and at least half will be drifting. Forcing global ranking on everyone may complicate multiplayer server set up for people as well but unsure how much of an issue if any this would be.

One problem I’ve just though of is this: sometimes I set up a server for me and a friend to do laps and a bit of casual racing, his net is terrible though and it’s not uncommon to have contact due to packet loss. As this is a casual stuff around sort of thing we don’t really care that much but if a global rank was forced on both of us it could drop bellow what’s needed to join more serious servers

Johnnypenso likes this.
  16. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The reason many better drivers dont join pickup servers is because there arent many that enforce reasonable standards so getting half decent racing is unlikely. There are plenty anyone can join and ABCN may as well not have ratings so its pretty much a complete waste of a good system.

If people know its easy to jump into casual pickup servers where all in the server will be decent to race with then Im sure more would be up for this outside of league racing.

Id much rather be in a server with others then hotlapping on my own even if its league practice. But I dont want guys in there that make it pointless as they are complete hazards and thats why a good and well used rating system can really help with pickup racing.

Its not like the complete casuals wont have somewhere to still race but without ratings it really only leaves leagues and closed servers for those that want some proper racing.

17. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Hi Serge M

The idea is that password protected servers can run what ever the like including no rating at all.

Also , I didn't think servers where region locked so don't we all the the global community anyway?

If so and the numbers are too low no system will work

18. martcerv

martcerv Alien

There is no region locking but I do hope that ACC does have ping limits, we really dont need people with 400+ pings to get into aussie servers but ping limits should be something configurable by admins.

I dont know if a force all users into ratings is a great idea what we need is a way to encourage people to want to use ratings and to get the better end experience this can provide.

19. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Ping limits are a must I think, wonder why they were never implemented, every FPS I’ve played before has them. I think high ping and packet loss is a contributing factor to the carnage on public servers.

20. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Yeah, as said above. Just not viable playing on any servers past about New Zealand as the ping is way to high and you just cause problems for others

21. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Ranked servers are my preference, but why not allowing unranked servers? We live in a free world, no?