1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Actual road wheel rotation

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Dori, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

I love watching the replays in AC they look great, but one thing that looks a bit out of place is the unnatural way the road wheels rotate. Some cars look as though they have different wheels at different speeds.
    It's more like a wheel rotation effect in AC?
    I see in many older sims and games that they have actual wheel rotation, or some effect that looks exactly like real life.
    Will this be something that will change in the future of AC?

2. Fred Joseph

Fred Joseph I'm watching you ! Staff Member

Can you possibly post a video about what you would like to describe ?

Also when is happening ? what cars ?

3. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

It happens with every car some are more obvious than others. If you drive from a stand still and watch the wheels as you accelerate you will see the wheels change as speed increases. It looks like you have a different wheel model for different speed ranges and it's obvious when it switches from one to the other.
    It's noticeable a lot of the time when the car is speeding up, slowing down, or adjusting the throttle in a drift. Also it looks like the rear wheels are still rotating when you pull the handbrake. The lotus elise is probably the easiest to see it on.

4. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

Here is an example of it.

5. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

you do have different model, that's how "motion blur" works, there's no fast way to render motion blur, so they used blurred version of the wheel ( with blurred texture) and at certain speed they swap it out

o0thx11380o likes this.
  6. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

That's what I thought. So what is wrong with just having one wheel model and making it rotate at the appropriate speed?
    It seems a bit simpler than making different wheel models to me, considering that's how it seems to be done in older sims.

7. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

to create motion blur effect on it it's quite costly,

i'm not familiar with latest shaders of course, so I don't know how it can be done using newest shaders and what the actual performance hit would be, but if this was needed for every car, I can imagine that you could easily lose 10 fps or so,

in older sims it was done the same way, but maybe there was more in between steps ( not just 2 wheel models, but maybe 3 or 4) so that the transition is smoother, but pretty much all older games definitely use the same system

8. Hi.

I'm curious which sims you mean. AFAIK blurred wheel textures is the way its generally always been done(except in some mods) for increased performance. Full 3d wheels is relatively new like in rF2.

Regards.

9. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

one supercostly way to do this would be to render say 10 wheels, and offset them in time, and render them with transparency, ... but if one wheel has 2,000 you will be rendering 20,000 triangles just on one wheel, so you can see that this is really not the way ( of course you could render only the spokes .. but still)

10. Stereo

Stereo Alien

If you just leave it at one wheel model, you get weird optical illusions like explains.

Some AC cars are tuned to switch more smoothly from the base model to the blurred one than others.

Fullscreen motion blur tends to perform really badly on spinning objects because the gradient in speed isn't changing slowly enough for them to handle. If you have a whole car moving (or the whole track) it's relatively easy to blur those areas, but each bit of the wheel is moving a slightly different direction.

o0thx11380o likes this.
  11. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

Live for speed is one sim that has it and pretty sure I saw it in rfactor 1 also.

That optical illusion is more realistic than seeing the wheel change shape.

I'm no expert on this, it's just something I noticed and thought it would be nice to see it done like I've seen in other sims.
    AC is the first time I've noticed wheel rotation done like this.

12. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Sorta surprised you haven't noticed it in other sims, it's the standard method as far as I know for at least the last 10+ years. Maybe AC could do more to stop the 'pop' when it switches, there's similar happening with the back end of lots of cars due to LODs.

13. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

lol, in live for speed is more like "lack of motion blur" rather then feature not to have it,
    true, you don't see in on some camera footage (as in posted vid) however with your own eyes, you do see the wheel blurred ;)

14. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

In real life, in person you may see a blurred wheel, but there's problem with that.

Lack of motion blur is more realistic than motion blur and here's why.

It's impossible to drive a car and see it with your own eyes as it goes around a track, unless it is recorded.

You couldn't possibly see all those different views in person and follow the car around the track in real life like that, especially when you are also driving the car.

So it's obviously meant to be like on tv. Even the replay cameras are labeled TV1, TV2 etc. ;)

So seeing what you see in person is not realistic for replays, as the replays are on tv and wheel rotation should appear as it does on tv as this is a sim.

15. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

so what's the problem then
    ?

TV crews used QUALITY cameras, which do produce blur too,
    some cheal on-board cameras that people use that don't produce blur doesn't really represent what's out there in majority

or show me some example of major race with does show the effect you speak of

here are some various and all have "blurrerd" wheels

some slower cars here

I'm sorry, I admire your passion for Live For Speed, but live for speed is very old sim, and while it has great physics, the grapics is very poor, therefore the reason why they don't use motion blur on wheels is more like technical limitation, rather then they want to have it real ( where nobody else does that)

you could probably see in on some modded cars in games, when people don't know how to create motion blurred wheel

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  16. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

I didn't realise that there are cameras that cause motion blur so you don't see that optical illusion. I don't want it this way just because that's the way it's done in LFS, I actually prefer to see it, than the blur effect. It's just something I remember seeing on videos and I prefer to see that than the way it's done in AC. I could argue that the kind of thing I do on AC would be recorded on a cheap camera and not a tv crew, but that's not really going to hold any water lol.

It must have been mods where I've seen it in other games, if you say that it's not normally done this way, you seem to know quite a bit about this kind of thing.

Maybe if they can make that blur effect not look like the car has different wheels it would be great. But I doubt that will happen as it doesn't seem to bother anyone else but me. If that doesn't happen then I hope when AC becomes open for mods, I'll be able to change the cars wheels to my liking. Though I'll probably need someone to tell me how to do it. Do you think it's possible?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  17. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

Doh!!

18. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

well, the most simple thing would be not to swap to motion blurred wheel, and if such wheel isn't created it won't , but I don't think you will be able to do it for cars done by Kunos

I agree that the transition could be better, so we shall see if kunos will decide to improve it or not.
    it's not only about how it looks, but the blurred wheel also has less detail/triangles so it's also a bit to save FPS

19. Si3v

Si3v Graphic Lead Artist Staff Member KS Dev Team

Motion blur (in general, if done well) is probably one of the most "realistic" effects that a game can have.
    Our retina retains light stimulation for a period of time of about 40 milliseconds, (it's guessed, difficult to measure an organic effect, it will be different for any person), fading from 100% of the impression moment to 0% of the moment of complete decay. Let's assume that the decay is linear, at 20 milliseconds you still have the 50% of the scene impressed in your eye, but the eye has also the "new" impression at 100%. So basically life isn't "redered at frames" it's a succession of time, blended together in the human eye.
    These are quick examples:
    • The wheel of colors that made turning quickly blends the colors to white
    • Say hello shaking your hand quickly
    • Take a train and look outside the window
    So it's absolutely normal to see a rim blurred in real life, also after few km/h (it depends by the shape of the rim)
    There is only one man that can't see it, his name is Col. Steve Austin, but he's built better, stronger... and faster. :D

Patrik Marek likes this.
  20. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Of course, ideally, we could have 1000Hz monitors and not have to do motion blur in software anymore - just use the realistic inability of our eyes to keep up with the framerate. :D Maybe in 2034.