1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Anyone that uses 144hz with vsync here notice this......?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by MsportDAN, Feb 2, 2018.

1. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

I know its not the best thing and i don't use it that much. But ive noticed with AC running Vsync on my benq 144hz screen, If u turn off full screen the first run of a race it will run up past 72 and run into the 80-90s whatever, on any given track. If i then restart that session the fps get locked in 72fps and wont unlock. (like an half rate adaptive vsync).

when i enable vsync on any other title, my fps will lock at 144 providing i cant achieve it, but doesn't ever lock at 72?!

All my NVidia settings are default so I'm baffled here. I pretty much use fast sync but really want to know why AC decides to halve the FPS on full vsync. No other game or sim gets locked at 72 fps with vsync on - so not sure why AC does, has it got built in half rate sync or something? or ac isn't seeing my full rate of my monitor?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Can anyone play the game on XBOX now? 1 minute ago
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone else notice pink (missing textures) and street lights at Monza turning off as you pass them?? Dec 19, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Clear Calibration software logitech - anyone have this? Oct 2, 2023
    ACC Physics Anyone else finding the Alpine being much faster than any other GT4 cars since 1.9? May 30, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions DLC Issues on PS5 that were not an Issue on PS4,,, Can anyone help/answer reach out Dec 9, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Anyone find there is big "depression" on the track in Zandvoort, at this point!!! Jul 5, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone have experienced the same glitch? Apr 27, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Has anyone got the TMX wheel to work in the game yet? Apr 2, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Has anyone been able to use the extra buttons on fanatec gt3 v2 rim or similar? Jan 4, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Anyone feel the FFB in ACC is not as sharp as AC? Is Kunos aware of this? [Nope, never heard] Nov 10, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions anyone ever try the DJI FPV goggles with console gameplay? Jun 27, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Are you anyone driving BMW M6 in ACC? Apr 4, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone done this? Feb 6, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone use a Shifter? Feb 5, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality RTX 3090 SLI for VR ? Anyone tried ? Dec 12, 2020

3. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

AC in game VSync is not Adaptive, when you drop a few frames under refresh rate, it halves.
    Just disable in game VSync and use Adaptive in driver settings. Set max prerendered frames to 1 while there to help with input lag.

4. Mike Kadlcak

Mike Kadlcak Gamer

just don't use vsync at all.. not even adaptive / freesync / gsync... all create input lag. Some more or less. But it still is there. If you don't notice it, your eyes are not fast enough. :p

5. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

think thats incorrect adaptive vsync just turns VS on and off if you go over or under Refresh rate. Double buffered vsync is the one that halves it when you go under. So my question is the default AC sync is double buffered - it must be,.!

Anyway i use fast now which has no tearing, my eyes are very sensitive to tearing for some reason.

6. kraM1t

kraM1t Racer

The microstutter Fast Sync creates is worse than any tearing. On a 144hz panel it's almost invisible compared to a 60hz panel. If you want to be competitive Vsync should never be on, inputlag inputlag inputlag

nate likes this.
  7. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Unless you have GSync monitor or FreeSync for AMD, without VSync you have to deal with stuttering and tearing.
    The input lag "problem" with VSync is blown out of proportion and hardly noticeable on modern GPUs and monitors even with twitchy shooters. The crucial part is to set max prerendered frames to 1 as default (3) can be quite laggy.
    There is a good article dissecting input lag and VSync is not the biggest contributor to it.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/2803
    Every system is different, when on some you can not even tell the difference with vSync on or off, on the others it can multiply the inherent lag effect of less than optimal build or bad monitor.
    This is why opinions on the VSync impact are so polarized.

8. kraM1t

kraM1t Racer

144hz BenQ 1ms panel, 144fps, 1000hz mouse, Vsync easily distinguishable when its off or on in a blind test for me. Some people aren't perceptible to input lag but I've been playing CS 1.6 since 1999, so I am.

9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

At 144hz this refresh rate you are looking at 6.94ms delay due to VSync. Yes, it will contribute to input lag, I don't think anyone is arguing here.
    Wish my reflexes were as good as they were 20 years ago. :(

10. rycil

rycil Simracer

You should change your nickname to "terminator" :D

11. kraM1t

kraM1t Racer

^ lmao :p

Yeah Andrew no doubt I'll start declining soon xD

12. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

gsync lag is very very very low. If you are a high fps, low lag junky, you will love it, especially for racing, believe me. Lock your framerate just below the monitor max refresh rate and you will have the best experience ever!!!
    kraM1t, did you try DeNgO's CS scripts back then?

13. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

for me the tearing is worse, and i really don't see visible input lag even with vsync on. As Andrew said it been over exaggerated for so long now with modern gpus..

Anyway my issue is with AC vsync turned on why does it halve the fps like a double buffered sync?

14. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

At some point AC was using triple buffered vsync but it was removed in one of the consecutive releases. Why, no idea.
    So what we have now is standrd double buffered vsync, not even Adaptive.
    Fast sync should be the best thing with minimal lag but unless you can support very high fps, indroduces microstutter.
    Sounds as you can keep fps at 144 and higher, in your case that shouldn't be a problem.
    I have settled for Adaptive with max prerendred frames at 1. No isues with input lag with shooters, which I play a lot, or racing sims.
    YMMV, I am not going to debate if it's unacceptably laggy for someone else :)

MsportDAN likes this.
  15. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Why aren't you playing in fullscreen mode? Even if you want to use vsync, but use fullscreen as well. In case you minimize the game when you're in a session, when you return you should press alt and enter together to return to fullscreen mode, if not you remain in borderless window.

Also, did you set any fps limit while using vsync?

16. it should be possible to add triple buffering by editing (or adding if it is not there) this in video.ini :

[TRIPLE_BUFFER]
    ENABLED=1

in theory it should work

MsportDAN and brioche like this.
  17. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

thanks stefano for the information - this has driven me mad as I'm sure AC wasn't always like this with sync on.. :)

One thing i found strange though, even enabling Triple buffer thru NVIDIA control panel, will still not work?!

To add to the discussion. I like fast sync as you dont lose frames like vsync, but i dont get x3 the fps that nvidia claim that you need for fast to work.. In rf2 fast actually cures some of the stutter i get from that sim on certain tracks. IN raceroom fast doesnt even work for some reason, and i get slight tearing i can notice (like sync off). (probs most wouldn't notice it). In AC fast works well, and the micro stutter in all games is no worse than vsync on imo. In ac i get around 90-120 fps and fast sync seem to work nicely. But for some reason i do like the smoothness sync gives. It does feel more consistent in fps.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  18. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

NVidia CPL Triple buffering setting is only for OpenGL apps, DX based need to support it in the engine.
    I think you are just overthinking the problem, fast sync is hard to make work properly, plus you making GPU working harder by producing frames that are not rendered.
    It's your choice of course, but I'd just switch to Adaptive or try ini tweak Stefano suggested.

MsportDAN likes this.
  19. MsportDAN

MsportDAN Alien

sry that ini tweak didn't work for me. :(

I get some weird frame pacing, like jumping from 72 to 120... and get this bad stutter with vsync on. I don't know know if it is actually halving it, or just coincidently the sim is staying around the 72 mark with big jumps to 90-110 fps.

this correct:?

[VIDEO]
    FULLSCREEN=1
    ANISOTROPIC=8
    AASAMPLES=2
    VSYNC=1
    AAQUALITY=0
    SHADOW_MAP_SIZE=2048
    DISABLE_LEGACY_HDR=1
    FPS_CAP_MS=0
    [CAMERA]
    MODE=DEFAULT ; DEFAULT | TRIPLE
    [EFFECTS]
    MOTION_BLUR=0
    FXAA=0 ; doesn't work with OCULUS
    SMOKE=3
    RENDER_SMOKE_IN_MIRROR=1
    [CUBEMAP]
    SIZE=512
    FACES_PER_FRAME=0
    FARPLANE=500
    [MIRROR]
    SIZE=512
    HQ=0
    [ASSETTOCORSA]
    HIDE_ARMS=0
    LOCK_STEER=0
    WORLD_DETAIL=5 ; 0 to 5
    HIDE_STEER=0
    [SATURATION]
    LEVEL=100
    [POST_PROCESS]
    ENABLED=1; on (1) or off (0)
    HEAT_SHIMMER=1 ; on (1) or off (0)
    RAYS_OF_GOD=1 ; on (1) or off (0)
    FXAA=1 ; on (1) or off (0)
    QUALITY=3 ; range {0,5} this affects the effect buffer scale
    GLARE=3 ; range {0,5} 0 is off
    DOF=3 ; range {0,5} 0 is off
    FILTER=default
    [TRIPLE_BUFFER]
    ENABLED=1

20. Mogster

Mogster Alien

GSYNC’s great. I wouldn’t buy a monitor/card without a similar system now.

21. Beef36

Beef36 Rookie

I know this does not help the OP however I agree with above.

I was originally really sceptical of G-Sync and thought it was just marketing fluff, but I now run triple G-Sync 200Mhz monitors and G-Sync makes a much bigger difference than I thought across fast moving games, not just car racing.

From hereon I too wouldn't purchase another gaming monitor without G-Sync or an equivalent technology.

MsportDAN likes this.