1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Manual or used guide

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by mknorr, Dec 26, 2016.

1. mknorr

mknorr Rookie

I have done the searches for the above and found nothing.

If there is no manual or guide, is there at least an explanation for the ideal driving line guide? I get that the greed arrows mean accelerate. I thought the red would mean brake but that doesn't explain why there are several short sections of red in a long straight, nor why there are red,green,red on turns.

I have attached no log as it is irrelevant.

Many thanks for any help provided.

Manfred

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa Evo Modding Support? Apr 4, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.10.1 hotfix update OUT NOW! Apr 4, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.10.0 update and Nürburgring 24hr DLC are OUT NOW! Apr 3, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Assetto corsa 2 Mar 26, 2024
    Console Lounge How to share clips to Assetto Corsa club Mar 17, 2024
    ACC General Discussions An official Assetto Corsa discord server please. (iracing, raceroom, and gt7 has one) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Assetto corsa competizione ps5 Mugello best track Mar 14, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Competizione UE4-AC2 Game has crashed and will close. Feb 25, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa 2 Silence Feb 22, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Moving Game Files from One Drive to C:\Users\Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione Feb 19, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.8 hotfix update OUT NOW! Feb 1, 2024
    Bug reports Assetto Corsa Competizione PS5 Version 1.9.7 Wipers Bug Jan 29, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.7 hotfix update OUT NOW! Jan 26, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione v1.9.6 update and GT2 Pack DLC are OUT NOW! Jan 24, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Unable to Play Assetto Corsa on Steam due to Malicious code found by AV Jan 5, 2024

3. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Driving line is a pretty basic assist for people that dont understand how to find their own ideal line and brake points. It wont be perfect and it actually will hurt your development as you need to learn tracks by memorising sections, brake points, turn in points, apexes and exits. Following the line on track will normally take your focus away from the actual track objects you need to use for markers and so if you use the line then turn it off you likely wont even know the basic layout of the track.

In general the line will be green for throttle red for brake, its not dynamic and depends I think on the AI line. This means on mod tracks especially it may be very bad and even official tracks it likely wont be the best line for any particular car just a basic line for those that really need this. If you turn it off you will improve much quicker then you will keeping the line on so best to just disable it.

Someone that understands lines and brake points can learn a brand new track in 10-30 laps to a fairly good level. To be able to get the most out of a combo you will likely need more laps then that and every lap you do you will likely learn something.

4. AC_RAF

AC_RAF Hardcore Simmer

It's not AC related, but this website could be helpful to you, to learn the basis of race driving
    https://driver61.com/uni/

mknorr, Ace Pumpkin and rge75 like this.
  5. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Watch this video and when you finish watching it, watch it again.

6. Orne

Orne Alien

I highly recommend "Going nowhere fast in Assetto Corsa" by Amen Zwa. Computer setup information, track guides. Lots of info regarding vehicle dynamics, physics, etc. Chock full of info and its updated frequently.

stryder, mknorr, Aristotelis and 4 others like this.
  7. mknorr likes this.
  8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I wouldn't rely on the racing line the game indicates. That might be helpful to learn your way around a track, but for racing it's rather distracting and you should learn to get along without.
    It's not really that hard, once you understood how to analyze corners.

Do you buy chance own Grand Prix 2 by Geoff Crammond?
    That game came with a very lengthy and cool manual (like games used to do back then, it's one of the manuals I kept even though I don't play the game anymore, memories …:)). On page 118 to 120 you'll find explanations on the typical corners and how to take them.
    Once you've understood that part, you can find the ideal racing line yourself (although sometimes you will have to experiment a bit) and don't need any more help. ;)

(If you don't have that one, sorry I can't make pictures or scans of the manual right now and it wouldn't be allowed on the forum anyway since it's copyrighted material.)

mknorr likes this.
  9. Nobby76

Nobby76 Alien

The driving line is NOT dynamic. In most games the line is green, and if you are going too fast the line will go orange then red, to tell you to slow down And then when you are slow enough it will go green again. That is a dynamic racing line, IT changes colour to tell you where to brake and speed up. Assetto does NOT have this. Assetto has a Static racing line. Which means all it is showing is where the AC devs sped up and slowed down. It is not so much telling you where you need to brake, its just more of telling you where they braked..
    But it may not have even been in the same car as you are using, which means the brake points and speed up points would be totally different for you. a fiat 500 doesnt need to brake and speed up on a corner at the same spot as a F1 car and as the line colour doesn't change based on your speed the line will by lying to you..
    Best way to use the line ive found (and this is from an amature) is.. Use the line to show you where all the apex points are on corners for sure, that helps a lot. But in regards to speed just use the "suggested " braking points as a guide for the first 5 or so laps. The devs braked for a reason, probably a corner coming up, but as you will be i na different car those red section are just more of a "watch out something is here" marker than a " do exactly as we did" marker..

Also the line is used to tell the AI where to go. When we make mod tracks and we want to record the AI line, we are basically just recording the racing line... Whe do a lap of the track to record the path, but it also records what our pedals are doing.. If we are speeding up the line will be displayed green, if we cruise at a set speed or just coast along it will be yellow and if we hit the brake pedal it will record red on the line. Which means if we are going along a big straight recording our racing line and we hit the brake pedal Every other user who sees that racing line will also see a red " brake point" in the middle of a long straight.. But you will clearly be able to see it's a long straight and you don't need to brake.. So REALLY the Racing line is nothing more than just a visual recording of what the person did when they were actually recording the racing line..If the dev was a scaredy cat on the track and didn't drive to the best of his potential then the racing line isn't even gonna be 100% accurate .. So hopefully you can now see why relying on the racing line so heavily is a bad thing.. Use it to get familiar with the track and where the rough braking points are, but after that leave it well alone, you will learn the tracks much quicker that way.

Hope that helps,
    Nobby

mknorr and Andrew_WOT like this.
  10. mknorr

mknorr Rookie

I want to thank each and every one of you for the great comments and advice.

Marty and others, you reminded me of a time I did some real race car driving where a pro sat next to me and they had witches hats set up to show the line and brake sighs to tell you where to brake. I was so busy trying not to hit the witches hats that I never got to focus on the track at all. When the pro then took me for a ride, they ignored the brake signs and the line they drove just meant to witches hats were run over.

Rudski, there is so much to take in from that video, I doubt twice will be enough for me. Thanks for the link.

Orne, I bought that ebook and some others that were suggested afterwards. Cheers.

Roberto, I may have seen some of those iRacing videos, but will check them out again. Thank you.

For me, trying to get the right driving line, right brake and turn points as well as gearing is all very difficult to even just get fair at. My skills are only sightly better than an old house brick :)

Thanks again everyone!
    Manfred

AmorFati and Orne like this.