1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Better quality LODS and shadows!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Chazz Ranger, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

I only half understood what you said, but I get the idea in context :D Is there a compromise between these shadow map settings and reduced artifacts that you could recommend?

Filippo94 likes this.
  2. gahorneck

gahorneck Gamer

I like it. The trade off's are far less obtrusive than the goofy shadows.

Chazz Ranger and andrea_gi like this.
  3. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Oh, I can't wait to get on my laptop and make these changes! I can't stand seeing the shadows LODs on guardrails and such, as I'm coming around a corner. For some reason it always grabs my attention out of the corner of my eye. Thank you for sharing!

4. Filippo94

Filippo94 Alien

It's a trial and error process, I honestly never bothered to discover what's the unit measure of those values. Start with a value as low as the one reported in the first page, then work your way up until you're satisfied. You've surely noticed that further distance shadows had an higher value, that's simply because pixels get larger in world coordinates.

5. andrea_gi

andrea_gi Alien

If u use a matte car u will change idea.. They suffer more the issue

Inviato dal mio LG-D855 utilizzando Tapatalk

6. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

hmm i tried it for a while but nords midday the effect is still there, so will stick to defaults
    shadow quality set to high btw

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Patrik Marek likes this.
  7. GLENNYBOY1

GLENNYBOY1 Gamer

I'm confused by those images,the second one looks worse than the first one,is the 'pumped' image the improvement or is it the wrong way round?

I'm only asking because the horrible looking shadows in the second pic ( around the headlight/panel gap/front intake area ) have always bugged me,is this fix a possible remedy for that or is the LOD problem something different altogether ?

8. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Off topic I know, but my livery for HP Racing Andrea...did you change the map file chrome-ish settings, or is it just your ability to pull better fotos from AC than me? :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  9. andrea_gi

andrea_gi Alien

I change the map and metal detail

10. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

SHARE :D Just realized I misspelled your name above...corrected :D

Curious, I'm using the "high" shadows setting in-game, DX11.2 GPU...when I use low FOV for camera angles, I am still getting split/artifacting shadows using stock graphics.ini LOD shadow settings.

11. jajp999

jajp999 Gamer

This does improve things and with minimal FPS hit (if any)

Kunos should implement this by default

Thanks for the pointer guys

12. not really DX11 but more to do with the hack(s) used to calculate shadows in games.

13. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

CAN shadows be fixed or improved in the future? Or are they already as optimized as possible for AC? :cool:

14. rycil

rycil Simracer

I still have the "chasing shadow" on the armco. It is very noticeable on the nordschleife !

Anyone with the same experience?

LeDude83 and ears1991 like this.
  15. andrea_gi

andrea_gi Alien

That track have the longest view section in this game...so even cheating on lod bias isn't enough...but put some cars in front of u and i assure you that you'll do not notice it anymore

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  16. AnnieC

AnnieC Gamer

I noticed this a lot a on Brands Hatch and it can ruin the immersion when I see the "chasing shadow" effect.

17. matt2380

matt2380 Gamer

Thanks Chazz Ranger for helping to share this info. I'm glad it's helpful. It made a massive difference for me, I've stopped obsessing about graphics tweaking and now find I have a lot more time to drive! :)

Chazz Ranger likes this.
  18. bzucobzuco

bzucobzuco Hardcore Simmer

I made test scene in unity3D for better understand how shadow map splitting works. Scene use 4 cascades. You can adjust some values.
    Keyboard shortcuts:
    -camera movement: W, A, S, D, E, C, SHIFT(slow), CTRL(fast)
    -camera FOV: numpad +,-
    -mouse sensitivity: M, N
    -sun position: I, J, K, L
    -shadow distance: HOME, END
    -shadow cascade 1/2: NUM1, NUM4
    -shadow cascade 2/3: NUM2, NUM5
    -shadow cascade 3/4: NUM3, NUM6

[​IMG]
    PS: small capsule object on dashboard is for better adjustment of cockpit shadows, because car model isn't so good.

download

Alexandr66, liakjim and Filippo94 like this.
  19. matt2380

matt2380 Gamer

bzucobzuco, your test scene has 4 shadow cascades/maps, but AC has 3 doesn't it?

20. bzucobzuco

bzucobzuco Hardcore Simmer

I gues 4...maybe cockpit view has lower number. But 4 or 3..large area is really problem cover with shadows without glitches. 50 m area is no problem...but 500m or 1000 is really mission impossible. Five or six cascades will be probably better but dont know if possible or efficient in games.

Filippo94 likes this.