1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Bmw z4 gt3@spa 2:27.668

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by The Law, Apr 4, 2015.

1. The Law

The Law Rookie

Obviously, that time is nowhere fast despite chipping at it for two days, so I wonder if one of you fast gentlemen can take a look at my lap and tell me where I am losing most of the time or what is wrong with my driving style in general.
    FYI, I am using PS3 gamepad and I know I will never be able to match the wheelers speed, so please do not suggest to get decent wheel, it is not an option for me right now.

Thanks everyone.

F430_458_F12 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay Can’t Choose BMW for Sprint Nov 26, 2023
    ACC Physics New physics didn't work for the BMW M4 GT3 May 2, 2023
    ACC Screenshots & Videos BMW M4 at Spa Multiplayer May 2, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars BMW M2 CS Mar 5, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions BMW m2 Jan 3, 2023
    ACC Screenshots & Videos My Valentino Rossi BMW M4 livery - DOWNLOAD - Dec 18, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos BMW M Team WRT 2023 Dec 17, 2022
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Problem when I try to shift down with BMW GT3 2022 Jul 14, 2022
    Screens & Videos BMW M3 F81cs Jun 14, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Baden GT BMW M2 CUP May 23, 2022
    Screens & Videos Drifting Bmw e46 M3 Downhill May 21, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars ROWE RACING BMW M4 GT3 STARTING NUMBER Apr 28, 2022
    ACC Physics Bug with Tire ware and drag (BMW M4 GT3) Apr 6, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars BMW M2 CS Door Glass Disappearing Mar 29, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room The BMW M2 "BritGrid"! Mar 22, 2022

3. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

1st off turn your racing line off, when I briefly had it on I found myself too concerned with getting back on that line rather than do what's best according to where my car is and how it is moving

PhenOm likes this.
  4. Don't drop to 1st gear at La Source.

5. HelplessDeer

HelplessDeer Simracer

Youre missing a lot of apexes, your setup seems far from optimal, having to lift in corners like blanchimont is pretty uncommon on 100% grip, but you also seem to lack topspeed, Z4 can reach 264 on a hotlap on Kemmel straight easily. Also your Pouhon entry speed (line was good) was too low, try going in around 180-185 when you use soft tyres. And also try applying power later, you seem to go on the power really early, which gives you understeer and either makes you run really wide on corner exit or forces you to lift off.

This is my old RSR world record lap, it has already been beaten by Anssi, but it should be a decent reference:

Hope this helps ^^

Zune and snyperal like this.
  6. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Simracer

I'm not THE expert on fast laps (I do 2:19s at best, with a wheel), so I am going out on a limb here, but anyway, here goes:

- As Mr. Low said, you can save the mid-turn upshift from 1-2 at La Source by simply staying in 2nd. It actually saves you time

- I'm not sure about the last chicane, but I don't think you ever need 1st gear with that ratio on this track

- Your cornering can be improved: you turn in too early in some corners, which causes your car to miss the apex and run wide on the exit. try to enter corners from a wider approach and turn in a tiny bit later and sharper. you won't miss the apex and you can accelerate earlier without correcting last-minute-widerunning by braking or lifting off. On 100% grip and warm tyres you can take eau rouge and blanchimont flat out.

- If excercised correctly, a "slow in, fast out" is the overall quicker way to go for slow corners. Also, if you need to upshift mid-way through a corner, it's probably better to take it in the higher gear in the first place, unless you absolutely underrev and miss the power curve.

Edit: Also, try to keep "coasting" to a minimum before entering a corner, as in: brake as late as possible, and as hard as possible, but don't lift off the brake from 100% to 0, but rather "ease" off the brakes as you don't want to spin. Braking during turn-in should be done with caution.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    snyperal likes this.
  7. The Law

The Law Rookie

Okay, thanks guys, will try to put this advice to practice.

8. michael_

michael_ Simracer

Not to be rude, but you're not even slow yet.

There's not much point asking fast people for advice until you can beat slow people.

The best slow reference you have in the game is the AI. Unless you have some faster buddies who will
    drive around the track with you following.

From what I can see you're at least 4 or 5 seconds slower than the AI on 100%
    Do some quick races with you at the back and AI on 100% - Don't try to overtake or race them, just follow them around using them as a reference. That should get you to the point where you either conclude a controller is not going to work for you, or you're now 4 or 5 seconds quicker than you were.

The process of trying to keep up with someone that's faster than you should tell you what's wrong with your driving. If it were a different game I'd say, "stick the AI slider down low at first" but, unless the 1.1 update changed things, the AI are completely fruity loops in AC if you do that so it needs to be fairly high so they drive sanely.

If you're similarly off the pace on all car/track combinations compared with the AI, I would suggest starting on shorter tracks with less powerful cars (the caveat here is that the AI don't really work well on all track/car combinations - if you see the AI mowing the lawn every lap try picking a different car)

Once you can keep up, then race them. When you can comfortably beat them perhaps then fret about setups and whether fast people can look at your lap.

snyperal and PuffTheMagicBelgian like this.
  9. MJP

MJP Racer

You also appear to have tyre wear turned off so you're stuck at 90% grip with soft tyres. For some reason the gt3 softs are out of step compared to other tyres concerning starting grip.

10. Nao

Nao Alien

He wasn't that bad at all, not really "fast" level, but i've seen worse online. Frankly go ahead and try beating his time in his conditions, something tells me it won't be a breeze :p hint: soft tyres + no tyre wear + probably default setup. From the tyres alone he's down on pace like 5+s

@The Law Don't be discouraged about using pad, some of the fastest hotlappers use them, for example 9th place on rsr boards in this combo belongs to a pad user (2:18.8).

As for hints im not a pad driver, but i would try setting up the car more toward oversteer (less rear wing, less front ARB, less forward brake balance etc.) and try to carry more speed into the turns (trailbraking), and then have more cornering ability on exit.

Your problem is that you are slowing too much at first, then accelerate too early in turn so on most corners you are too fast (!) at apex and thus get thrown out of the line at exit. In a single corner sections it's not that bad, but in the multiple corner chicanes etc, you are too wide through the first corner so you have to lift and loose a ton of time on the second.

Racing line in AC is not really helpful (the green-red is completely useless) but do try to follow the line in chicanes, preferably watch some real world onboard videos or maybe a hotlap in AC on youtube to get the idea of proper lines.

Also if you want to compare yourself to others, listen to MLP and turn on the tyre wear.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    snyperal likes this.
  11. You're full locking a lot around corners... Not sure if you can do something with your gamepad settings, but that would help. I never see higher temps on the front, personally.

12. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

@The Law ,

I believe my 360 pad time with this car is around 2:20. I have some specific points of improvement:

- Eau Rouge:your exit speed is ~224 but it should be 230+. Your left turn on entry is spot on but the right one comes too late. Turn right sooner and you should be able to take more speed to Kemmel straight.
    - End of Kemmel straight: you gotta hit the first apex, that right-left-right is very line-sensitive. On the last right here, the outside curb is very much rideable - use it!

That's it, have fun improving.

Cheers
    Chris

snyperal likes this.
  13. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

This. You're creating huge understeer by turning the wheels too much. To go fast once the car has been thrown into a corner you should have the steering almost straight.

14. LT1-Z/28

LT1-Z/28 Gamer

I am using a Xbox controller myself and my best is a 221.099 in a 458 GT2 on the ALOOG server . So what ever settings they use is what I set that time with . I am no expert and I know the controller is holding me back. But you seem very timid entering corners .You need to brake later and try to carry more speed . Do not be scared to let the car slide around a little . You need to know how far you can push it to get faster . Going slow and trying to be careful you will never be fast . Join a mp server and just sit in the pits and watch the fast guys run there laps . That is how I went from 228s to consistent 221-222s . Which does not seem fast but it is enough to run in the top 10 . That is all I am going to get running with a controller IMO. I am using Kubro's settings for the controller . I also bought theses two books http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Spee...28196060&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=speed+secertds and http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-...F8&qid=1428196089&sr=1-1&keywords=skip+barber . It might seem odd to read a book on going faster with a real car but they have made a difference for me in the game.

snyperal likes this.
  15. SirJack

SirJack Racer

Would you mind sharing your set?

16. HelplessDeer

HelplessDeer Simracer

This is my old set, the one used in the video. Patch 1.1 brought some changes but the set should be a good starting point.

Attached Files:

SirJack likes this.
  17. SirJack

SirJack Racer

Thx a lot...will try it later :)

18. Wedge598

Wedge598 Gamer

Ok, I'm no alien and I think my best with the Z4 is in the 2:22 - 2:23 range. But for the love of Pete don't go digging into the car setup until you have mastered the apexes, gear shifts and the default setups. About the only thing I change in my setups is the Aero, Fuel and Tires. If you change anything drop the rear wing a notch or two but otherwise with soft tires you should be able to hit my times pretty easily.

Too many people start fooling around with car settings before they've fully mastered the driving line and nuances of the car. Master those first and then you'll have a better understanding of what the various car setup options do to the car. If you aren't consistent lap to lap you won't be able to tell the difference between one setting from the next.

Christopher Low likes this.
  19. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

@The Law A few tips to get you closer to the 2.20 - 2.22 times of the real drivers:

1. Even with ABS cars, they are not completely free of brake issues. Releasing the brake by degrees upon entering some of the turns can create great front rotation which, if properly controlled can help you enter corners faster, and carry more speed on exit.
    2. Lower aero grip. By a lot. I mean keeping the rear wing at 4 or under. Yes, it will feel like you have no grip at first, you will have to learn how to drive the car differently. But it will really open up each car's top speed on the long sweeping curves which are key to passing and maintaining speed on the course.
    3. Related to 2, when removing rear wing, you need to adjust your driving style. Go watch Jorg Muller racing for MarcVDS on their YT channel...he's using very low aero, and as such adopts a very smooth steering style that relies on gradual movements, no sudden reactions. This helps him maintain optimum tyre temps to keep grip in the tricky turns so he doesn't slip and slide around.
    4. Dial in a lot of camber. The real drivers use upwards of 4 degrees on the front wheels. This will help you keep grip in the long turns which punish tyre sidewalls.
    5. Lower the car's ride height within reason. SPA is a relatively smooth track with few undulations and generally easy curbs. This means you can push the height of the car to a much lower ride than say Imola with high curbs. This will help with your grip, as the lower center of gravity keeps the car stable. Just watch out for going too aggressively over the curbs.
    6. Add toe. This will help with turn-in grip, again a key issue at SPA with such long fast corners.

PS. Love the Jagermeister avatar :D

20. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Only an American would use "love of Pete" on a European...:p

21. Wedge598

Wedge598 Gamer

I don't understand that comment. I used "Pete" instead of "God" to try and be less offensive.