1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Change the "enhance understeer effect" to an assist

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kade, Mar 25, 2016.

1. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Oh no I didn't mean it that way. I thought I was clearer before but it seems not. I would be ok with a proper amplification of what's happening in real life for low torque gaming wheels.

The reason why I see the enhanced understeer effect as a driving aid is because it simulates something that doesn't happen in real life. A drop off RIGHT AT peak slip angle.

Sure you feel a drop off in your E30. But it's not aligned with lateral forces, it never is. AC is not giving you THAT drop off with enhanced, it's giving you one that is right on target.

Kade and Seria17hri11er like this.
  2. Ok, I am sorry. That is my fault for not paying more attention. I can see why you would want to call it an assist. It still wouldn't be right in my opinion to make it an option that can be disabled by server admin.

If they change it so that it is "proper," and perhaps only an option for lower force wheels, then I think everyone would be happy and no one would feel the need for an option to be disabled by server admin?

I think/hope everyone can understand why I have a strong reaction to the OP and am against it rather vociferously. It's rather terrible to drive without it for me.

MAUZERIS[LT], Dean Ogurek and PhilS13 like this.
  3. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

I had to disable it to pick up speed. It doesn't quite have the desired effect if your already comfortable at peak performance of the car. It falls off too soon removing the margin of slip angle and the drop off can mess with the force you're putting on the wheel, leading to exaggerated effects.

Perhaps it's better on lower end wheels, but on a CSW v2 it might be a bit much. But I've never tried it on street cars...

Dean Ogurek likes this.
  4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

It might also be useful to consider that the control API that all of our wheels use is quite old and was designed long before the existence of modern hardware. Just because such API doesn't include certain features, it shouldn't exclude the use of additional effects that may be effective in simulation - whether it be for realistic or immersive reasons IMO.

Some hardware manufacturers have said that they wish an updated standard existed today that added more features to drive FFB wheels, motion and tactile. There could be many effects added such as grip-loss, rear-traction loss, wheel lock-up, etc. Some things have to be canned effects or faked by other means but, ideally, they would be directly supported through a more robust API and driven purely by simulation physics where possible.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I think you are correct about the timing of the effect, it does seem to occur too early. Also, it seems to me that AMS has a gradual building of resistance as it nears grip-loss instead of a sudden fall-off over the edge; when combined with more variable tire-scrub or squeal, it is much more effective - at least with more dynamic wheels. The variability of the tire noise is a key component to make it very convincing and may be the main reason I find AMS FFB so effective at defining the edge of optimal grip.

6. Stereo

Stereo Alien

IRL data shows that aligning torque generated by the tire drops earlier than peak slip angle - although most cars have some amount of caster reducing the effect of this.

[​IMG]
    This is a synthetic pacejka picture (although fitted to real tire data) you can see that at peak SA (red) the self-aligning torque (green) is already 1/3 or less of the peak. The actual aligning force on the steering rack is this plus mechanical effects (trail and so on)

Whether this feels 'right' to sim drivers is a different question, I'm speaking only of how an actual car handles. In early versions of AC where SAT was exaggerated in comparison to mechanical effects, this is what you felt - maximum grip was slightly after the maximum FFB resistance. I'd guess enhanced understeer does roughly the same thing, makes SAT a stronger component in the overall ffb.

When considering if Kunos would add a 'canned' effect you should ask: would it be easier to do it physically? In this case, they're already modeling SAT, so the answer is yes, it's easier to make it a physically based effect. Arbitrarily cutting FFB strength during understeer is going to be more work so why do it?

7. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Probably most people didn't want a simple amplification that would still make sense physically. They wanted the steering to go light at peak slip. So Kunos gave them exactly that even if harder to code?