1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Cheating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Richard Avery, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I heard that AC might use VAC (Valve anti cheat) system but then I also read that the system doesn't work too well. In sim racing cheating is much more of a problem because 0.05% more grip is hard to spot, maybe just awesome driving?

In rFactor it was a major issue and there were many times when me and my friends would question lap times others were doing, it was impossible to know for sure and so we just dropped the sim. It is the doubt that causes the most problems.

Cheating will be a major issue for leagues and multiplayer if nothing is done to tackle it. I don't know how iRacing do it but somehow the game has virtually no cheats, it might have something to do with it not being worth the cost of loosing an account, this is why a subscription system and paying for content also works against cheating.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer Is Cheating in ACC still possible -Seriously- Dec 13, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Cheating, does it happen, is it possible on Xbox Sep 10, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Cheating or server timing bug Oct 13, 2020
    Physics Bugs & Issues CHEATING? Jul 2, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Cheating Jun 8, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Server 1 - 25/05 - 4PM CEST - Cheating driver May 25, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Cheating on Multiplayer Apr 12, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Is is cheating server or ACC Grip-Power BUG During online race? Jan 24, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards People cheating silverstone/bently hotlap 1:27s Jun 5, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Cheating Sep 18, 2017
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Cheating in Assetto Corsa (Online/Offline) possible. surface.ini Oct 9, 2016
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Possible cheating right now Dec 27, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Some people are cheating or i'm a total loser? Oct 18, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Stability control = cheating? Oct 13, 2015
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Ease of cheating Sep 18, 2015

3. i believe iracing has cheaters too, don't fool yourself. ;)

4. JesperGB

JesperGB Gamer

a quick google on it actually found some hacks/cheats for iracing ... :/

5. Jesper, please feel free to try them on your account, bet you wouldn't dare! If you open new account it takes you a couple of months to get into decent races and you'll probably be caught before that happens. Also if it's as easy as using Google, well it's just as easy for iRacing to find and catch members using those hacks.

No cheats in DWC I bet and it's just not worth the effort after building up iRating and paying for lots of content. Seems to me like cheaters will see this game and hack it easily, then they'll join leagues and win all the prizes, it doesn't cost much if they get caught. Also with iRacing we know that cheating is taken seriously and the team are actively working on it and that's enough for most of us. If there is no anti cheat and nothing is actively being done, well what's the point in racing online?

6. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

It's something that bothers me too. VAC is completely useless (look at Race07!). The only way ATM is having 24/7 adminned dedi servers.
    I'd like to think KS have put as much thought into tackling cheats/hacks as they have developing the game.
    Any word on this yet Kunos?

Risto Kappet likes this.
  7. JesperGB

JesperGB Gamer

I would NEVER try any cheats - it's stupid - don't see whats the fun in racing when you cheat - it's just an aknowledgement that it actually exists.

Let's get fair racing only.

8. Words are not enough, if I pay hundreds of pounds to run a league, I need reassurance that work is actively being done against cheats. Again, it's not something that is easily spotted. Give one alien 0.025% more grip and he will still get beaten sometimes but he will also beat the other aliens more often than not.

9. $in[laIR

$in[laIR Rookie

It´s real sad, but as long as there is a lap time to beat there will be someone who tries to do that with some unfair help if this unfair help exists. As i said, it´s sad... but get used to it, i think you can´t avoid that. I have no idea what forces some people to use cheats, as Jesper wrote - it´s just stupid.

10. I will add that in rFactor I knew one guy that said it would not be too hard to create an anti cheat program. I have no idea how he would have done it but if you're smart enough to code a complete sim, you're surely smart enough to code an anti cheat system. But the biggest deterrent imo would be loosing content, if the core package includes only let's say half the content and the rest would cost another £100, that would be a strong deterrent. Of course a subscription based online racing system like iRacing would also act as a deterrent because it takes time to progress and time is money as they say.

The key to stopping cheats even trying to cheat is to make it cost them money and time while also having a firewall in place. Then instead of normal drivers saying "it's not worth the effort", the cheaters are saying it.

I would like to try the preview but this cheating issue is stopping me, been here before and got the T-shirt.

11. First Valve Anti Cheat does not secure Race 07. Second VAC is MUCH better than you guys say. I have a long Counter-Strike (+ Source + Go) history and I can tell you that ALL cheat providers that sell public have been detected by VAC so far. Most several times not only once.

Some years ago VAC was very weak but it evolved. In the beginning of this year they even detected a expensive and very advanced hack which even ESL Wire AC (which is much more advanced than VAC btw) couldn't detect. So VAC banned MANY guys in that banwave. Better providers code a driver which operates on Ring0 as VAC is not a driver and can't communicate to that software layer. But only very few cheat coders are that skilled and even that guys failed. Ban wave.

So in the long term VAC is very strong and I would use it.

marlo0081 likes this.
  12. The advantage with sim racing is that there's isn't much money in it because it's more geeky and more of niche thing than for example, popular FPS. Most leagues are just for fun, so the hacker doesn't have much incentive to hack because there isn't much of a market and there are very few hackers/sim racers I imagine. Hacking AC would be just a bit of fun and there's little incentive, so it wouldn't take much to deter hackers, maybe VAC is sufficient but more is always better than less. And if the online side of things takes off and more money starts appearing, there'll be more hackers. The problem with rFactor is that there is no deterrent at all and hacking it is very easy.

Does VAC mean that servers must be with Valve or is it something that gets installed on the server?

13. VAC runs client based (but does communicate with Valve servers of course) afaik and not on gameservers. But there are servers with VAC disabled and then Vac won't get active on the PC while playing on it. At least in Counter-Strike Source. In Global Offensive, the most recent CS, VAC is always active - even offline against bots.

14. 3316V

3316V Alien

I'm Overwatch in CSGO and I can assure you there is A LOT of cheaters.

15. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Wouldn't any anti-cheat need to simply check the performance files of a client against whats stored on the dedicated server? And then periodically check them whilst racing is taking place?

I understand some cheats work as "injectors" that inject code after the server has loaded the client. I think that's how RACE07 cheats worked, so the server would load up and accept the client as cheat free, then the client would then inject code and the server wouldn't detect it as it only ran client authentication upon first connection?

16. GeraArg

GeraArg Simracer

The haxor's will always exist, in any game.
    There are two things that can help to keep them away from you:
    1) Participate in a league with good camaraderie (also you can get a good friends) and WITHOUT prizes of any type.
    2) The cost-benefit ratio, to write a program to manipulate the data of other software is not easy and take time (bah, is easy with a little experience, but it is beside the point :p) so, if you are in a place where there are no awards and only runs for fun, is not going to make sense to the haxor run there because they will want to recover their lost hours running somewhere where they can get a prize.

Don't expect the super security system helps to eradicate the cheaters because they are like cockroaches, will always exist, just look for a good place to be able to run just for fun. ;)

marlo0081 likes this.
  17. GeraArg

GeraArg Simracer

The mainstream cheats don't work changing the data in the client or servers files, work by changing the data stored in RAM because is rarely revalidated once loaded, in the last 20 years all anti-cheat systems of any company and game was violated, is a problem that is solved socially, not with more lines of code.

18. Yes of course. The cheats are not always dt and many cheaters just buy new accounts (or have many already) to keep cheating going.

But the point is that ALL cheats everyone can buy are detected sooner or later.

19. Avery . Are you the guy claiming to be me on iRacing ?

20. AC Support

AC Support Official Support Staff Member KS Dev Team

Not the right place for this type of discussions. Please use the public community forums. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.