1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Classic Run - how to tame the Beast (Lotus 49)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Brainspiller, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Brainspiller

Brainspiller Rookie

Hello everyone

I do really like the "Classic Run" Special-Event which takes place on Monza Classic with the Lotus 49. I am no Sim-Expert, though I played GTR2 for a year or so. I am currently stuck at the second tier which is a time under 1.31.

The last two days I've spent two session only practising this track and car. Each session was somewhat over an hour. I learned that I cannot break and start an turn-in. Or that I cannot just hit the brakes hard and shift down two gears since this will just block my wheels.
    Stil, I cannot beat tier 2! The closest I've got was 1:31:015...ok, I think I will beat that one some day but how the hell can you carve even 2 more seconds out for tier 1 (1.29)???

After a couple of turns I am quite stable between 1.31.5 and 1:32:5 but thats it. I had like 5 runs under 1:31:5 and currently I cant imagine where the time lies on this track. I bet its within the Ascari (edit: I mean Parabolica).

Long story short: does somebody have any advice what lines are important or how I have to handle that car (maybe a youtube video. I will try and make on tomorrow)? Btw, I am without TC or ABS, only Auto-Clutch is enabled.

Thanks

P.S: I've played with the setup but basically I just tried longer gears and it turned out that the standard-setup was still the fastest.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Cheapest (Real) Classic Car To Run? Jul 1, 2017
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues "Classic Run" Achievement and Medal Dec 22, 2013
    Online Leagues / Championships room Association of Classic Motorcar Enthusiasts May 28, 2022
    Screens & Videos Classic Cars Trackday at Feldbergring | Realistic Graphics | Porsche 911 RS 2.7 1973 Aug 12, 2021
    Online Leagues / Championships room [AC-PC] Virtual Le Mans Classic 2021 May 25, 2021
    Console Lounge ASSETTO CORSA PS4 CLASSIC CARS ONLINE RACES Apr 16, 2021
    PlayStation 4 Discussions ASSETTO CORSA PS4 CLASSIC CARS ONLINE RACES Apr 16, 2021
    Online Leagues / Championships room [ Assetto Corsa] Special Event-Virtual Le Mans Classic 2020 Jun 15, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room HISTORIC SIX HOURS OF SPA CLASSIC 2020 May 10, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room Classic BTCC series - Sprint races with mandatory pitstop Nov 16, 2019
    Online Leagues / Championships room [Assetto Corsa] Virtual Le Mans Classic Main Race . Jun 17, 2019
    Online Leagues / Championships room [Assetto Corsa] Virtual Le Mans Classic official qualifications . Jun 11, 2019
    Online Leagues / Championships room [Assetto Corsa] Special Event-Le Mans Classic 2019 Opening Registration. May 30, 2019
    Online Leagues / Championships room sim-racing-vintage -Special Event -Spa Classic 2019 May 1, 2019
    Online Leagues / Championships room Join the F1 Classic 1967 Series - S2 Broadcasted Apr 22, 2019

3. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

if you like i can upload my vid of a 1.29.5 and you can see if you can pick anything from that. (i will have to do it tomorrow tho as i will have to quickly re do it.)

Deleted member 18758 and Snarffu like this.
  4. JocoG

JocoG Simracer

Old verion(over 1 sec slower now)

The car has ALOT of suspension travel so you just have to predict how it's gonna behave. And oversteering it is the quickest way to go. I think driving "on rails" only a mid 28 high is possible in this car ;)

Hope this helps

Snarffu likes this.
  5. Snarffu

Snarffu Racer

I knew I was bad at racing but these special events make me wonder. I can't beat any of them on any difficulties :oops:. Really need to spend more time racing.

6. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

You should be able to, particularly into Lesmo 1 and the Parabolica. Try moving the brake bias for starters, I think the default is 62, I've a feeling mine is in the mid 50s. Whatever setup you have you won't be able to trail brake very much on this car, you might even want to look at your brake gamma settings in the Controls menu so you have more pedal travel to play with.

Differential coast settings might help too. And you will definitely need to heel and toe on downchanges to avoid chirping the rear tyres and losing the back of the car.

I found the default setup is very understeery and I want to try to get around Ascari nearly flat. I have to lift the throttle very slightly on turn in to hit the apex, then carrying the extra speed down the following straight gets you a LOT of time. It'll also help you brake less for Curva Grande and get on the power earlier, again a lot of time. Try softening the front suspension and tyres to get better balance and turn in.

For me locking up the differential to about 40% (power and coast) seemed to make the car understeer less, but I know from Grand Prix Legends different drivers have completely different approaches to setting the differential, maybe it's the same in AC?

Having said all that I spent 2 hours last night setting laps consistently between 1:29:030 and 1:29:4 and just can't quite get the last tier. Very frustrating to fail by 0.03 of a second :D

Hope that helps, good luck!

Snarffu likes this.
  7. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I know what you mean, in the bmw challange i lost out on the lap by 0.003 of a second. ! Lol

8. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

I've run wide a couple of times at the Parabolica because I'm looking at the Lap Delta app saying "Stay green, stay green.... nooooo!"

Fat-Alfie likes this.
  9. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

It's not very often that words on the screen make me laugh out loud, but your post really did! Good job I wasn't drinking a cuppa at the time or I would have sprayed it all over my desk :D

10. Brainspiller

Brainspiller Rookie

Thanks for the replies...so it is possible at least :)

Here is a short clip where I captured my driving style. Havent put to much effort in it since I just wanted to show the comparision to JocoGs oversteering run. The first corner was pretty bad though (usually I get the apex quite smooth), I've lost about 0,3 there I guess.

But JocoGs breakpoint before the Parabolica (in the opening thread I wrote Ascari which was wrong, sorry) is just insane! I tried to break later than what I am used to and this is the result

:D no chance. I am just sliding off track.

Anyhow. I will fiddle around with the setup and see where I can get. I am always a bit scared from the setup because durin my GTR2 times I usually messed my setup more and more.

11. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

Yeah, that's what my laps look like on the default setup, lots of understeer and long braking distances. Probably similar lap times too.

Get the front end to stick and adjust the brake bias and you'll go a lot faster.

Also your field of view setting looks quite wide, you may find lowering it helps you go faster more consistently.

12. Brainspiller

Brainspiller Rookie

Ok. Tested "Brake Bias" for 10 minutes and it seems I can break much better, even though at the end the rear end starts to overtake :)

But the setup page needs an overhaul. Just take the brake bias: does less mean more breaking on the front? or does it mean less? I guess it means more to the front but from the menu I just cant know.

13. JocoG

JocoG Simracer

Brainspiller it's not my lap/video :)

14. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

the number is normally the percentage of front brake bias.. i know it doesnt say but in the majority of games ive played and real life when someone quotes a number its just taken as %front.

Brainspiller likes this.
  15. Stereo

Stereo Alien

It's also tricky to compare braking points between field of view differences... the visible distance to the corner looks way higher at larger FOVs (esp. if you're playing it in a little video player), but you might be hitting the same braking point. Gotta use a point of reference near the car to figure it out for sure.

16. rge75

rge75 Simracer

Nice thread, especially because I also have problems to achieve tier 2. I'm quite sure I lose time in Ascari because I often miss the correct spot to turn in there (and I often have to lift too much). So maybe somebody has a hint when to steer left to get the apex right? I doubt I'll be able to get tier 1, but I'd be happy to at least get under 1:30 once. I have to admit that I did not play around with the setup though.

Furthermore, I'm probably simply not that skilled. I remember when I switched from my old 2 pedal/sequential shifter to a 3 pedal/H6 combo (I do not use any driving aids at all). That simply cost me some time because of the whole blip thing. I think it's more difficult to brake when you also have to concentrate on the clutch and the blip (however, I'd never want to miss it anymore). But my question is about shifting down. Do you use the clutch all the time, giving some throttle and shift down directly from 5 to 2 (e.g. Lesmo1) or do you go 5-4-3-2. I often go from 5th to 3rd and then to 2nd, doing two blips though. It feels more "controlable" to me.

Personally I really liked to watch replays of the fast guys within the good old GPL replay analyzer. This allowed you to check out the driving line of the fast guy and you also noticed where you lost time. Too bad such a feature didn't make it in any new sim anymore so far.

17. JocoG

JocoG Simracer

The video above is from eariler version which is almost a sec faster than now...

18. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

I'm surprised how basic the telemetry is in AC, maybe there's more to come in the full version or a mod.

I was very surprised how different the car felt in AC compared to GPL, and how much more open Lesmo 2 is in AC. But after getting used to it I find I'm making the exact same mistakes in the exact same places in both games, and setting very similar lap times. I guess there's no escaping a lack of talent. :)

Fat-Alfie and Snarffu like this.
  19. rge75

rge75 Simracer

Well said. Yeah, you can't go faster than your skills allow. You can only "max 'em out" by doing a lot of practice. But there's a point somewhere where you can't go faster. Or easily said, I remember when a new track came out. The fast guys were 1 second faster from the beginning ;-)

20. rge75

rge75 Simracer

This might indeed be true. I just did a race against the AI and I noticed that they have a better exit out of Parabolica, even at 98% strenght. Also, one lap I was quite a lot behind my pb at the 2nd intermission and I got Parabolica probably just "right" and I catched up a lot of time until the s/f line. So there seems to be quite a lot of potential at Parabolica.

But don't give up. Like you, I'm around the 1:31.5xx in general but I just did a 1:30.977 and got the silver achievment. I improved some time by breaking earlier for 2nd Lesmo to get the apex (I always went too wide in the beginning). There's no way I'll ever get the gold one though.

21. CTR69

CTR69 Racer

I'm currently buzzing just above 1:30. Huge time can be gained (and lost) in lesmo 2. Ascari is flatout, if you hit the apex or a bit of lift-off to keep it on the track. My breaking point for the parabolica is just before the huge billboard, into 3rd then slowly onto the power to the straight.

So basically Lesmo 1 and 2 are critical, especially 2, where you pick up the speed till the parabolica.

I did change the setting a bit, to give it some camber, toe and lower height. I also played with tire pressure and arb settings, but it all feels the same, very little difference. Driving line is all what matters.