1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Damage and Collisions

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by HemiR, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

Thank you very much.
    I wasn't enitrely sure so I better asked (to avoid misunderstandings).

I totally agree @Turk: That would be very cool.
    Thank you for your detailed explanation. Very much appreciated.

@DoubleJ93 and @ShredatorFIN : In rFactor 2 engine damage can be caused when you drive closely behind someone - due to dirty/hot air from your opponent's exhaust. Such things should be considered as well IMO - even or maybe especially in online races. Ah, that would be fantastic. Or damage which is caused by debris. (My personal dream-mode is now acticated. :) )

But I'm very confident that Kunos have found / will find a good way to simulate damage in an more authentically as in AC - visually as well as physically.

2. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

Dont want to revive that older thread to post this..but i belive Tire Punctures should be something that happens pretty often in game...a lot of tire punctures in race so far ..so it deffinetlly should be in game if you mount curbs to much tire punctures happen and if you scrape or hit somebody there is possibility of tire puncture and you limp back to pit to change it... will make people watch out and be careful.

3. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

iRacing working on a new damage model, video was released yesterday:

Don't care for iRacing but have to admit that looks nice. At 6:40 some hard crashes

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Rehooja, AmirHM, Coanda and 8 others like this.
  4. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Before cosmetics, the feel of a collision and the consequence for driving are more important, I would say.

I mean, the first without the latter would be pointless somehow, wouldn't it.

MjNoisen likes this.
  5. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Kind of go hand in hand. Watch the iR video, crashes looks realistic in terms of physics. In AC the car would have looked like a pingpong ball hitting that wall. The parts flying in iR looks solid too compared to any sim I've seen before.

6. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

I agree with Tberg.
    It would also be important IMO - as I stated above - that debris (I mean fallen off parts of damaged cars stay on the track) can cause damage as well - not only the collision per se.
    So, as Tberg said, cosmetics and physics go hand in hand.
    I am still very keen on what Kunos will come up with.

cr4wl3r0 likes this.
  7. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

damage IS vital for online racing

its the difference between an online race and an online bumper cars session, this is something that makes iracing races so much better while other sims just turn into bumper cars when someome wants to overtake

Pulley, hristo1026 and D.Jankovic like this.
  8. mkotechno

mkotechno Simracer

For me realistic damage is also a big part of the immersion of a game, is not like we need soft-body physics, but hitting a wall at 15 degrees and bouncing only with some scratches is a big suspension-of-disbelief turn off.

That IR video looks amazing BTW

9. Raklödder

Raklödder Simracer

I would expect nothing less from a modern racing-sim in 2018. Incomplete vehicle damage models is a thing of the past. Even the 4 wheeled museum known as "iRacing" has been updated.

cr4wl3r0 likes this.
  10. ConcreteC0w

ConcreteC0w Rookie

If KS can create damage even 50% of what IR have done, then damn this would be an amazing addition to ACC

cr4wl3r0 and chakko like this.
  11. chakko

chakko Alien

Absolutely, that really looks great (already watched it elsewhere), and, one can only gratulate them for implementing that.

Hope Kunos takes notes. ;)

12. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0 Racer

Me too :)
    In fact a realistic collision model and the proper particle/sparks/smoke/dust amount is very important when trying to reproduce Blancpain; in fact IRL I saw much "action" during Blancpain Races !!!

13. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Still no word about anything damage related. Well tbh, first thing I'll try is ramming the Huracan into the wall :cool: For science. But I won't be disappointed if there is not much yet, I just hope it's on the cards

14. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

It is unrealistic to expect big changes in damage model.
    There are many new features and redesigns in ACC.
    First things first.

GRFOCO and Patrik like this.
  15. chakko

chakko Alien

Actually, i don't even mind a good damage model. A good collision model is much more important. And, i'd be very "disapoint" if Kunos wouldn't improve on that, compared to AC.

16. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Honestly i don't aspect too much changes in this, from ac.

17. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

Just to avoid disappointment and keep you informed:
    In the first EA release(s) you won't see any damage (visual or mechanical).

Generally speaking we would like to improve the mechanical damage aspect that actually affects driving, especially resulting from tyre abuse, while in terms of visuals we are currently not aiming at anything significantly more complex than what you saw in AC, so please keep your expectations aligned.

18. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0 Racer

Why ?
    Even Rfactor2 has detachable parts ; iRacing too.....
    Some degree of debris/particle plays an important rule in Blancpain Simulation IMHO.....

rainey06au and Pulley like this.
  19. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

I fully agree, damage & crashes happen in motorsport yet Devs have always shied away from implementing proper collision damage (until now with iracing), RF2s is very basic but better than nothing.
    I applaud Kunos for wanting to add in further Mechanical damage, that's a good start, but there's so much more to it than just what's "under the hood" so to speak.

cr4wl3r0 likes this.
  20. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0 Racer

Yes, definitely what is "over" the hood could be really a "game changer". I do think Kunos is going to loose quite an amount of players if It focuses only on mechanical damage. Simulated racing could be very flat and boring without proper collisions/debris/smoke/dust simulation. This is the fact....
    I kindly ask Devs to open a little bit Their mind: it is non only a cosmetic matter, it is part of a proper simulation.................
    Thank you