1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Damage - most realistic setting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by MJ911, Feb 11, 2017.

1. MJ911

MJ911 Racer

i know the answer to this should be 100% but from our league racing experience, minor contacts would result in too much damage to cars and exaggerated loss of pace. So we steadily dropped it to 60% and then 50%. But in our most recent round we had cars with quite heavy impacts into barriers or other cars yet still able to race like nothing happened, so it's gone too far.

Has the damage been improved in recent updates? It's about getting the right balance, just wondered if you guys had found the sweet spot ? Particularly for league racing.

Cote Dazur and chakko like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay plans for more realistic damage mode Feb 20, 2020
    ACC General Discussions plans for more realistic damage mode Feb 18, 2020
    Physics Bugs & Issues Damage seems unrealistic Jan 2, 2015
    General modding discussion Realistic damage modeling Apr 3, 2014
    ACC Multiplayer Change damage multiplier? Jun 17, 2022
    ACC Physics What does damage actually DO? Apr 6, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Damage Feb 6, 2021
    ACC Gameplay How do I know how much time do I lose with damage? Jan 1, 2021
    ACC Physics Discussion about car damage Dec 22, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Engine damage nursing? Dec 1, 2020
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Engine Damage and watertemperature Nov 28, 2020
    ACC Gameplay AI struggles to overtake damaged a car [OBSOLETE VERSION] Nov 18, 2020
    XBox One Discussions New damage model? Sep 13, 2020
    ACC Gameplay skip race in career mode after damaged car? Aug 1, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Disable damage in multiplayer Jul 22, 2020

3. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

Damage was rebalanced in the last major update, also because of feedback from other leagues, so it might be worth it to try it at 100% again.

4. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

I still think it should be at 100.
    I race in a league where it s at 70. Made a huge crash first race. Irl definitely a dnf.
    finished seventh overtaking several cars with a 'damaged' car slightly pulling to the left. :rolleyes:

5. It's not gonna be any good no matter the setting frankly... Not AC's strong point.

LChaves and Xenix like this.
  6. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

That's an understatement... Although driving physics first for me, then the rest

7. Sean

Sean Simracer

It would be nice if there was more steering or suspension damages from impacts, rather than just reduce the top speed of the car.

8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Even at 100% it feels more like 75% Compare to IRL damage.
    I run damage at 100% on my Lotus 49 classic server and it is a good incentive to stay between the lines if you intend to finish the 10 laps race.
    I wish Street Fight servers were at 100% as well. Yes it sucks when you got rammed, but it damage also the rammer.
    I believe in the long run it yield cleaner and more realistic racing.
    Among the future improvements of AC better damage would bring AC to a higher status as a racing simulator.

Tim Meuris and Solmyr like this.
  9. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

I think it should always be at 100%. Lets face it: If you need to lower the damage setting, you really should be in a slower car working on your driving skills.

Christopher Low and Solmyr like this.
  10. You'd be surprised. In close racing where the level of driving is high, your still going to get very slight contact (gt racing), which IRL would have little to no effect, but previously in AC this was causing quite dramatic Aero damage, causing poor top speeds or unbalanced aero.

This has apparently been changed, though I haven't tested it myself yet.

nfsw55, LChaves, MJ911 and 5 others like this.
  11. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

Interestning thread.
    Personally I keep it set to 100% for offline training/racing.

My question : Does this setting affect the mechanical, non crash-related damage aspect too ? I mean if I do wrong downshifting like an idiot, or bad clutch coordination, etc.. Is the 100% setting more uncompromising than a 50% one ?

I believe since I started AC that yes, but not so sure.

12. chakko

chakko Alien

In my experience, the aero gets damaged, when someone bumps you from behind, as if you get run over by a truck. At least with the damage settings on most servers. If you want to experience a non-forgiving damage model, which even is supposed to be less than in real life, try iRacing. A little tire to tire contact in the Skip Barber F2000 for example can lead to suspension damage, which makes you have to go to the pits, to have any chance to continue in race speed. And that's really how it is in such cars. Other cars are a bit more stable of course. But, with the damage settings on most servers in AC, you can just happily continue, if someone bumps into you so that it caused a total loss in real life. Not sure if i ever raced on 100% damage settings though. I will look out for servers with that settings next time, and try it out.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  13. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

I'm quite surprised to see the solidity of today's F1 cars though (for open-wheelers I mean).

14. When trading paint robs you off 20kph down the straights... the hell with damage. No idea if its still like that tho.

LChaves likes this.
  15. chakko

chakko Alien

IMO, no. But what do i know. Let's just say i haven't experienced that for a while now. Of course, if the aerodynamics of the car is messed up, and the wings are missing, it should have an effect on the aero, the one or the other way, i guess.

16. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I believe they altered the damage model a little bit so small contacts made no difference to the aero, so you should be able to rub each other with no consiquence.

17. Xenix

Xenix Simracer

I wish i could select 500% damage. The damage model from AC is too weak for me compared to RL.
    Only Iracing (and sometimes rfactor2) seems real for me. One big Hit and the Game is Over.

In RL its impossible to reapir most of the damages we make durring a Race. Thats one of the reasons why we have the first Corner War in most Racing Games. Everybody believe he driving a tank :D
    Nobody care about little contacts.....

18. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

As far as im concerned, damage as well as slipstream etc should be set at realistic or off.. thats it. None of this 80% etc.

But it means that kunos have to work extra hard making sure the damage model is brutal as in real life but fair so you damage what you really would do irl.

I think they have altered the damage values so it would be good to try at 100% and see how it works.

19. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I used to use 70% on ALOOG1 and even at that % the drag from damage was very frustrating. Seems better now (not sure how much but def better) turned it back up to 100% recently.

20. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I dont think low speed impacts effect aero at all regardless of 10% or 100%

21. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

As in, the drag from damage is the same regardless of pale yellow body damage or dark red? I never tested this but always assumed the drag would increase with increased body damage and the lower the damage % on the server the less damage taken per impact.