1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Desk mounted wheel - CSW 2.5 or DD?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by manuelecelestiale, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Hello together,

please let me shortly explain my current situation.

I am currently using a desk mounted T300. I bought the desk with simracing in mind, so it is pretty heavy (at least 30kg) and rigid, including a pretty thick desk plate, around 4cm.

Now I am contemplating about upgrading my wheel. Unfortunately a sim rig is not an option, because I have no space for that in my office, so I will be using the new wheel on my desk as well. Now the options that make sense for me are the Fanatec CSW 2.5 or a DD.

What I am asking myself mainly is, does it make sense to use a DD on a desk? Fanatec's desk mount is usuable for every wheel of their lineup bar the DDs..is that a hint of some kind?
    What would you go for in my situation, rather the CSW 2.5, or the DD?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting No FFB after switch to Desktop Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error - ACC Crash to desktop during loading Hungaroring championship Oct 6, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC crashed to desktop without error message Sep 30, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game Crashes to Desktop - Only in League Races Sep 28, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game Crashes to desktop Sep 19, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting game crashes to desktop Sep 13, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting frequent crashes to desktop May 23, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game goes back to desktop at random times. w11 , 3080 12gb May 16, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting crash o ritorno al desktop - UE4 Feb 19, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Crash to Desktop UE4-AC2 Feb 9, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC crashes to desktop without any error sign Feb 7, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game freezes and back to desktop [Corrupt .pak installation] Jan 8, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Crashe - UE4-AC2 - Game freezes and back to desktop Jan 8, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game just crash directly to desktop Jun 15, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Quick change options between VR, Triple and desktop Mar 8, 2021

3. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

4. You are right, I missed that bit with the "Podium wheel bases".
    In the manual it says "while it is recommended to hard-mount the podium wheelbase on a dedicated cockpit[...]" I wonder why it says that? What is the downside of using the DD on a desk in comparison to a wheelbase like the CSW? Checked the CSW manual, and there it doesn't say something similar.
    That's the main reason why I am asking.

5. ohjeah

ohjeah Hardcore Simmer

DD bases are much stronger, that's probably the main point. Also they are big and heavy and it might be a bit cumbersome to install and remove it from the desk all the time. I'd go with the csw in your case.

6. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

I have a wooden desk plate where I drilled holes fitting the screw holes underneath of my T300. To mount it I use M5 screws (hexagon head) and a washer to have more pressure area to the wood and an cordless screwdriver.
    It's done in a minute to mount or dismount it and it is absolute rigid.
    If you don't have a desk which is elegant and expensive but like mine just a wooden workplate with some legs screwed to it.... :D

7. Dezember6th

Dezember6th Gamer

I was using a CSW V2.5 with the Fanatec Table Clamp on a wooden Desk and from time to time I had to reattach/realign the wheel. In the end I just had enough and drilled the necessary mounting holes into the wooden plate as I could in worst case replace the full desk plate without too much fuss. The change also gave me more freedom for my legs under the table which was a welcome benefit as I use the Fanatec Clubsport V3 inverted pedals.
    So if you plan to stick with the desk I would go CSW 2.5 - or you go for a Simrig and a DD if the financials allow that investment.
    The DD is really another beast - my own Simetik K2 rig is strong enough but any desk is probably going to fail sooner or later....

Hope the helps in your decision making process

Nikolaus

AndyK70 likes this.
  8. Many thanks for all your helpful answers. In the end I could persuade my misses to put a simrig in the office after all, the argument about my back pain when racing on the desk and a normal chair did the treat!
    I still only went for the CSW 2.5 for now, but with a wheel that is also compatible to the DD full force, if I plan to upgrade later. Anyway, this thread might help other people who are contemplating what to buy without owning a sim rig, so many thanks for all the answers

JanR and AndyK70 like this.
  9. henkjansmits

henkjansmits Simracer

I run a DD1 on desk using tableclamp v2 and its fine. The main downside in my opinion is that you cannot "tilt" the wheel upwards.

I dont even use the torque key though so its effectively the same as CSW.

I mainly bought DD1 for longer lifetime as well as less maintenance. Also i think it reacts a bit faster (I can certainly catch slides more easily)

You do need a sturdy table.