1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Do you think ac holds it's ground against upcoming project cars?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ShredatorFIN, Mar 5, 2015.

1. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

hmm not sure how you can deduce that, maybe someone who has the game can check out some of the stock setups for stuff like the BMW 1M and see how it compares to the AC one. itd be pretty lame if it was with slicks and high camber out of the box. add the improved brakes they claim to have added, and the car has already drifted a long way from being the road car its advertised as anymore

GT cars are already easy to drive so I dont see why theyd be referring to them, especially given the title of the question: " I can't get the back out?".. if they were referring to GT cars theyd say: these are designed for racing not drifting...

2. SimonTek

SimonTek Simracer

hello, as i have already been able to affirm on previous occasions, i believe that the real competition is not between AC and PCars, but between AC and RF2, at least it is supposed to be..

come on.. more engagement!

3. plaid

plaid Alien

Pure irony, posting this here. :D

It depends on the person and his priorties. All current sims got its fans, mostly cause they all offer it different things and it depends on the priorities.
    You can prefer the physics of RF2, but play IRacing cause its the best package, cause the weight of the online-features etc. for you personaly.

I would like the physics and FFB similiar to AC or better, animated pitstops with strategys, the graphics, rain day/night-cycle from Pcars, the sound of RRRE, the max amount of cars (around 100) of RF2, the modability of AC and RF2, the MP-system from IRacing, the content of GT and Forza, the laserscanned tracks of all the sims, a career with management, intros etc., additional rallye-tracks and cars and a ****load of tracks like Lake Louis and an island like in Test Drive Unlimited and parts of the german Autobahn.

Till then, they all got their pros and contras. :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  4. Well, AC cars all have semi-slicks by default after all. As I said, street cars have very little adjustment possibilities. So I doubt this question related to them.

GT cars are easy to drive yes, but good setups have a certain amount of oversteer to them, they're not terminally understeery. Which can be tricky for what unfortunately is the majority of people. Getting the back end out doesn't mean drifting, it means oversteer, just asked in a very "ignorant" way. Remember that most people know nothing about racing terms, so yeah... Also, the game doesn't just have GT cars, but older race cars as well.

Dean Ogurek and ears1991 like this.
  5. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

Well for me it's simple:

- the most important thing PCars is missing is AC's physics.
    - the most important thing AC is missing is PCars graphics.

Let's see which one gets which 1st.

Then there's always 2020, didn't you hear? It's the magic year!

6. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

imo pcars would be perfect if it had AC content (laser scanned tracks, accurately recreated cars with as much manufacturer data as possible)
    factory assists option, and oem setups (at least available as an option, doesnt need to be default)

the mp system in pcars alone is enough to make it more desirable than AC

jc1993, Dean Ogurek and PAKFA like this.
  7. PhenOm

PhenOm Alien

TADAAAAA! It's magicallllll :D

PAKFA likes this.
  8. I pretty much hated pCARS for the longest time, but they've moved forward so much in the last year or so... I don't think it's as black and white as you say regarding the physics department. Maybe in the car dynamics, haven't try the game (and haven't seen more recent footage) so I can't say, but they model some stuff that AC doesn't.

9. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

I was just trying to narrow to the most important feature, as in 1 feature only, not list all the things missing in each game. Otherwise if I was to make a larger list, I agree with what you said.
    Of course it's not black and white and they did make improvements, but what I still don't like about PCars about their physics as a whole is the randomness of quality: 1 car good, 3 cars bad and the inconsistency across the board. You don't see that in AC, there are no such extremes in physics realism and not so random either.

ears1991 likes this.
  10. Enforcer-J

Enforcer-J Racer

I get better graphics with my system for AC (max everything except low reflections and shadows) than I do with pCARS (medium settings).

So for me atleast, the main thing pCARS supposedly has over AC is void!

11. Tony Rickard

Tony Rickard Racer

That doesn't bother me so much. There are always cars in sims I prefer driving even if the ones I am not keen on were to be modelled perfectly. We still seem some way away from a generic physics model in any sim that works instantly without tweaking the model for every combination of tyres and chassis characteristics so I kind of accept that car X in sim Y may be the best driving experience at a point in time.

12. iRacing experience talking ? :D

I guess for pCARS this might have been the case during Alpha (or whatever it's called) stage, but I doubt it's gonna be like that when it releases. We'll see.

13. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

And if I had a 10 year old PC, both of these games would be a non-factor since I could not run them at all, so my NFS Underground would look better than... nothing. That's how you logic works.

I'm not talking about optimizations for not so good PCs, that's clearly where AC shines, but I'm talking about the beauty and quality of maxed graphics on AC vs maxed graphics on PCars, that's where AC looks like is a generation behind and where PCars stomps all over AC easily.

And before it even begins please let's not start that "in my eyes PCars maxed does not look better than AC maxed" discussion, I posted enough videos and screenshots and evidence in this and other topics about this subject to clearly demonstrate that those who see it that way need to go to an eye doctor and have a check up.

If there is one clear and superior aspect about PCars, no matter how much the fanboys spin it around, that is undoubtedly the better graphics engine. Even the PS4 version of PCars looks better than AC.

I stand by what I said above: although there are many missing or lacking things in both of these games, if I were to choose 1 aspect that I wish tomorrow to make a major leap forward for each of them would be: AC to have as good or better graphics as PCars and PCars to have as good or better physics as AC.
    If any of these 2 things would happen, it would shift my affinity for that particular sim in a big way.

Although I do a lot of (constructive) criticism towards AC, I would actually prefer if the leap would be made by AC into graphics instead of PCars into physics. I would gladly remain here and be satisfied with AC and not care about other sims, if that would happen soon, instead it is the number one reason I'm looking into other racing sims/games - I just can't stand console games looking better than PC ones, it really does not make sense to me when their hardware is already outdated by a few generations by PCs. Make no mistake Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2, Driveclub and PCars on consoles all look better than AC on PC and that is a very big disappointment to me.

So yeah, I'm counting the years it will take AC to upgrade their graphics engine.

14. MrGiggly

MrGiggly Racer

Not if it launches on console. PC gamers are used to ongoing patches and wip titles.
    Console is a very different market. You can usually get away with a big patch thats developed between going gold and launch date but the console crowd expect a fully finished and polished article out of the box.

PAKFA likes this.
  15. Tony Rickard

Tony Rickard Racer

The biggest game changer for me personally is VR. In which case the needs from a graphics engine perspective change significantly, what works well with VR isn't necessarily the same as on 4k monitors. The graphics engine of the future will likely be heavily influenced by VR.

PAKFA likes this.
  16. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

Well, I agree with that. Even though I'm not that interested in VR I believe making immersive graphics for VR is actually a step beyond making immersive graphics for monitors. That's actually even better.

So yeah, the stakes are going to get higher and higher in this department. Just look how static the driver model in AC is, no footwork, no body movement from Gs (except from head), even gear changing still is not complete and believable for manual transmission. When all that is properly implemented to work for VR everyone else including screens will benefit from that.

17. ouvert

ouvert Alien

Nah, next step has to be some kind of augumented VR .. seeing your own hands and steering wheel .. or virtual representation of your acctual hands and wheel .. special VR gloves for a start :)

PAKFA likes this.
  18. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

Hey, you kind of jumped more than 1 step there, so technically it's not the next, but I like how that sounds. ;)

19. ouvert

ouvert Alien

yep probably ..but VR gloves represented virtually in game should be super easy .. kind of implementing what we already have :) basically more detailed Wii controller you can wear .. sensor on each finger and wrist .. forearm will be calculated in relation to hands as it is not that relevant :) so if you operate your stick with one finger, your virtual ingame hand will do the same ... adjusting your rearview mirror .. you know :) ..

in regards of wheel and button boxes .. more complicated till we get to "scan your surroundings" thing ... maybe some sticker :)

PAKFA likes this.
  20. Mogster

Mogster Alien

You'd need some sort of sensor gloves. With accelerometers in the fingers maybe...

I would call that "super easy" :)

The next step would be generating feel so when you touch something you get some sort of feedback. But that's making this even more complex, lets sort out VR and head tracking that doesn't induce vomiting fits in 50% of users first.

PAKFA likes this.