1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Downshift Gearbox Failure

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Joe McCormick, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Joe McCormick

Joe McCormick Rookie

Hi everyone,
    I am very new to the sim racing community and I am experiencing a problem when racing a Dallara F307. I am in 6th gear and I shift down to 2nd at the first corner (of Monza) then later in the lap with my normal driving style I end up with smoke at the back of my car. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong! Is there a setting I need to change or am I driving incorrectly?

Thanks,

Joe

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay Slow downshifts with automatic gearbox Dec 6, 2021
    Physics Bugs & Issues 911 Turbo S downshift bug (auto gearbox) Jan 1, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Wrong behaviour on downshift for semi-automatic gearbox Dec 20, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Downshift protection to gearboxes Oct 8, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues Automatic gearbox downshift problem May 15, 2014
    Bug reports Downshift problem Apr 25, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals G29 skips gear(s) on upshift and downshift Apr 1, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds G29 skips gear(s) on upshift and downshift Mar 30, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals CSL Elite v1.0 with P1 rim downshifting issues Feb 25, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Downshift stops working mid-game [Resolve by changing Keyboard shift down binding from 'Alt'] Jan 10, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer No Downshift - Team Endurance Event Aug 9, 2021
    ACC Physics Porsche 718 Over-revving with downshifts Jul 16, 2021
    Physics Bugs & Issues Unable to downshift after being swapped into car Mar 30, 2021
    ACC User Interface Downshift Protection Indicator Mar 10, 2021
    Bug reports Weird downshifts... Dec 16, 2020

3. I think that this car simulates real-life engine rpm range. To not damage the gearbox you should wait a bit between repeated downshifts so that the speed of the car is appropriated to the gear that you are about to engage. You can do that by ear, or reading the engine graph in the car's technical sheet (look at the RPM values) and looking at the rev meter.
    Should you want, you can even set mechanical damages off (you find the option into the Realism settings, one of the tabs that you can find on the bottom part of the screen when you are about to start an offine session).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Joe McCormick likes this.
  4. Joe McCormick

Joe McCormick Rookie

Thank you!!

gregack and Roberto Olivetti like this.
  5. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

First, from your description, it seems like you are not getting a gearbox failure but rather an engine failure.
    If the gearbox fails there isn't smoke coming from the car, but rather you won't be able to select any gear anymore.

Regarding the engine it sounds like you're over-revving the engine, which you should actually also hear. If you look at the damage graph in that moment, the engine component should blink red.
    If you rev too high, the engine will take damage and eventually fail, just like you have experienced.

To improve your driving, I'd advice you to take steps in between gear 6 and gear 2. It's ok to skip gears, but skipping 3 (3, 4 and 5) gears is too much. It's more work, but it also has the benifit of using the engine as a brake releasing burden of the disc brakes.
    You might need to shift the brake bias a bit forward though to prevent the rears locking up, depending on your settings.
    The second thing that might be a good idea is to use heel'n'toe to match the revs of the engine and the selected gear which will improve the lifetime of your gearbox and also make the engine braking better controllable.

Getting these things right requires practise, quite a bit actually. Especially in a fast car where all of that has to happen in 1-2s.
    But this as part of the game to master these awesome classics. Remember that the real drivers did it like that. ;)

chksix likes this.
  6. gregack

gregack Racer

Heel'n'toe. That's what you need to learn. Just youtube it. There are tons of videos for you.