1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Exhaust Smoke and Setup Variations for AI

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by PeterR, Jan 19, 2014.

1. PeterR

PeterR Gamer

Firstly the exhaust smoke. In an effort to increase realism and spectacle of the game, it would be nice to see some exhaust coming from these cars when under load, and when they backfire etc. Especially with the higher performance turbos and race cars they're not gonna be completely clean and so it would be great to see this modelled in game. Im sure some parameters could be modelled for example density and colour based on whether its fuel (darker black) or oil (lighter blue/grey) if the engine is becoming worn. It would be great indicator of engine wear if that is something we will have to deal with as the game develops. A small thing that would ad to overall feel of the game.

A similar idea could also be applied to over heating brakes and clutch.

Secondly, it would be great to the AI employing setups that are not all the same so that the cars are forced to behave differently. Nothing over the top and keep them within a practical range for the track at hand. Even the option to assign our own setups to the AI so that we can see which ones work and what doesnt.

Keep up the great work guys, looking forward to seeing where this game is at in the future it has immense potential.

Sand., Soulvex, Snarffu and 4 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Suggestions [Graphics Sugesstion] Exhaust smoke Apr 20, 2014
    Bug reports Exhaust backfire Jan 18, 2024
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars 992 Cup car exhaust flame going sideways Mar 26, 2022
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Exhaust glow does not appear in Replays. Jan 23, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Multi-player no exhaust glow. Dec 3, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Almost no exhaust flames Nov 22, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars BMW M4 GT4 exhaust flames Dec 3, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars No exhaust backfire for jaguar g3 Jun 24, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars FPS Drop with effect exhaust backfire Apr 28, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Exhaust flames from Bentley cause VR stutter Oct 11, 2018
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues F40 exhaust flames Oct 15, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Alpine A110 exhaust note! Jun 26, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Maserati MC12GT1 exhaust flame offset bug May 19, 2017
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Car Valve exhaust option Nov 29, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Exhaust flames are basically invisible Nov 23, 2016

3. I agree with the idea. But I think the different colors for fuel and oil is overkill. It'd be hard to implement and wouldn't be very noticeable.

4. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I remember watching touring cars from the 80s and 90s, both turbo and naturally aspirated engines and they would all on occasion belch out black smoke, particularly when on the brakes / backing off the gas. What I believe causes this is how "fuely" they run the engine mixture (more fuel / air etc). Would be good to have, though smoke is often difficult to make look convincing and is often a big performance hit.

mclarenf1papa likes this.
  5. damys

damys Racer

+1 exhaust smoke

6. PeterR

PeterR Gamer

I hadnt considered the likely performance hit when writting, however many of us would have a lot of fps leighway to use up if this was made an optional extra/effect. And its no critical loss to those who cant spare the resources.

Even minor details like this ensure all bases are covered and it would look so good particularly in and driving behind a large pack, so hopefully the idea can be properly considered.

7. Glen Orpheus

Glen Orpheus Racer

yup i'll plus 1 the exhaust smoke too ;)

8. alex72

alex72 Alien

Had to chime in here. After watching some older cars (and newer hillclimbs etc) i agree that exhaust smoke would be awesome. Especially maybe add it when on throttle hard. Make a couple of very transparent blue/grey exhaust clouds come out and rather quickly fade away. Optional setting would be nice as well in case it eats performance.

Made a quick dirty PS:

EXHAUST.jpg

Sure, its easy in PS to get a decent result fast. But im sure Si3v could whip up a nice faint exhaust effect. Nothing over the top, just that its there. I think it would make amazing vids and screens also hehe. And thats always good for promoting + it would look awesome. :)

plaid likes this.
  9. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

As I wrote some time ago, different cars used to be more susceptible to pushing out smoke than others. The Lambo GT1 was a car which used to belch smoke a lot when on track...

10. alex72

alex72 Alien

Its usually not detectable when going fast, but for when taking off from stand still/slow and when going slow through a corner and then pushing full throttle again it could come out a little exhaust. Personally im not after "super realistic every car has its own color and amount" etc (even though it could maybe be adjustable through an ini file for each car in each car folder?).

Really small thing, but could be very nice. Adding more immersion/realism visually (and a bit more gritty as racing usually is). :)

11. cr4wl3r0

cr4wl3r0 Racer

+1 exhaust smoke

12. Soulvex

Soulvex Hardcore Simmer

you cant beat a bit of exhaust smoke.