1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

GPU prices... is this going to kill PC gaming?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by arthur666, Feb 1, 2018.

1. esox71

esox71 Alien

2. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Amazon UK have a few Gigabyte 1080s for just over £500. Cheapest I've seen them in a long time.

3. @esox71

Nice cards. This design worked out great for me...I used to do the SLI and waterblock both cards etc, but this is just ez pz and stays really cool. If they are just as reliable as the EVGA 980ti's, then all the better.

esox71 likes this.
  4. APC900

APC900 Simracer

That's also a worry, since many will be past the 'sell-by' date as a result of 'processing years' of heat and use from cryptomining.
    I don't plan on purchasing any used videocards for quite some time.

5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

pc gaming will never die.

6. I never purchase used graphics cards. When I decide that I need a replacement, it's always a new one....and generally that happens when I upgrade to an entirely new PC.

Tim Meuris and Fat-Alfie like this.
  7. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Why? It's usually not an issue. I sell my used ones and buy used ones, no problem. You can always ask the seller how the GPU was used. Sure you can go wrong at times but usually sellers are honest.

Also, why don't you upgrade a GPU in an existing PC? Games quickly get more demanding GFX wise. Physics wise the progress is a lot slower. My i5 2500k was still not bottlenecking my R9 Fury (I upgraded, anyways). That PC was built 8 years ago with a 560 ti. That very GPU is still running like a charm btw in my brother in laws' PC. The GTX770 I picked up 2nd hand 2 years ago (was already like 1.5 years 0ld) is still running like a charm in a friends PC.
    So upgrading GPU in a gaming PC is most reasonable.

8. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

The prices will be mad, though...if the hype properly crashes you can expect the same tendency, just in the other direction. Imagine if you'd be able to pick up 4 1080s for 500 € - no problem if 2 of them break, right?

9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

LeDude83 likes this.
  10. This^^

*Also, what I like about buying from EVGA is that you can add up to 5 years extra warranty. I sold my previous cards through local classifieds and watching the way the kids handled my cards after purchasing, I said to myself I will never buy used lol. Also, you will never know what kind of conditions that card has gone through, or what overclock or bios it has run....I would consider it if I knew that information, but I would "prefer" new.

11. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

As an EVGA owner, you can also participate in the Folding at Home Program. This allows you to earn EVGA bucks for future GPU upgrades. I'm doing this to hopefully lower the cost of my next GPU upgrade. Note that not all countries can participate. You'll also be advancing science.
    https://www.evga.com/folding/guides.asp
    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Kind of surprised folding at home is still going. You get much for it from evga?

13. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

Yes, it's on its eleventh year. $10 EVGA bucks max per month. I took about two days with two 1080Tis (CPU also used). EVGA sells at MSRP...I just don't want to pay for my next purchase's shipping and handling fees. So as long as it covers that, it's enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

14. Typer

Typer Simracer

15. GPU manufacturers should introduce GPU's "mileage"/watt-hours*temp degrees/wear counters implemented in hardware that cannot be reset or altered.

Derrellbiffle and GCCRacer like this.
  16. LeiF

LeiF Alien

If they did it would be great for us consumers!

But why should GPU manufacturers spend money in R and D to develop an un-modifiable counter just to help the second hand GPU buyer?
    I reckon they would prefer to sell you a new one :)

LeDude83 likes this.
  17. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Took your joke to the slightly more serious side - indeed the Fiji Chips take more power than their back-in-the-day counterpart - NVIDIA 900 series. For the Fury that would be the 980/980 Ti.

The reason for it seems to be that AMD set the lower core voltage limit fairly high. At some point however they unlocked the limits to the public (NVIDIA didn't) so users could "undervolt" their GPUs. Unless you bought a GPU of the first batch it is reported to run without any issues and it's possible to get very close to the 980. In a German article from Tomshardware a TDP of 213 W under load was achieved @-96 mV lower voltage limit (980: 195 W).

Here's the article:

http://www.tomshardware.de/radeon-r...-effizienzsteigerung,testberichte-242015.html

Seems to me like NVIDIA did a better job managing power, voltages, clocks from the get-go whereas AMD took a conservative approach first.

I felt a bit bad when I realised how much power the GPU uses so thanks Serge for the heads-up. With the lowering of the voltage limit I hope to achieve a lot better efficiency. I'll report back when the GPU will have arrived from France.

18. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Done. Slightly underclocked the GPUs from 1050 to 1000 MHz and "undervolted" by 75 mV. This should bring single GPU power consumption from 280 W to 200 W. System TDP should sit at around 550 W with a 750 W PSU. Runs AC benchmark like a charm:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/benchmark-results-food-for-thought.28103/

19. Wouldn't cost them much at all..There are already sensors in the hardware. I would think they could include it in the overclocking software. But why should they? It would be more accurate to say "Why would they"?

20. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Following the Nvidia tendency, also Radeons have come down in price now:

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...agon-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1236596.html

That's a ~140 € price drop in fee weeks and the GPUs are now at price tags I'd consider borderline reasonable.

Still, 1070s are about 80 cheaper than 56s but I think the prices will be on par in a couple of weeks' time.

1070s now being available for about 430 € seems like things are back to normal again.

mms and Tim Meuris like this.