1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Guidance...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by snyperal, Mar 31, 2015.

1. snyperal

snyperal Simracer

Soo...

I'm completely new to stimulated racing, I've come from an Xbox background and controller (forza motorsport predominately) back to the pc. Why? More realism, more diversity and flexibility and ultimately no more fighting over loungespace and tv domination!

So while my wife sulks in front of the telly, I've invested, after a bit of tinkering with the Xbox controller into a G27 and all that it offers.

However after trawling through the two help threads I have many novice questions which I'm hoping to get some guidance and opinion on. That's not to criticise the two threads they've helped no end with gfx settings and getting everything set up and running alight.

My questions are more practical in nature.

In no particular order:

Is it best to stick to the default tuning setup until you're cornering like a boss and laptimes are consistent and the track / breaking points are memorized?

I currently run with the racing line on and I'm finding the red breaking zones to be a little conservative. Are they the same whatever car you're driving or do they change dependant? Is it a worthy tool to use? On most race tracks I probably have a rough idea of what's coming up next, but something like the ring would take days to memorize.

What are a) essential apps, recommended apps and b) handy apps to try out but not use all the time?

The same goes for mods, there are so many I am not sure where to begin and what if any conflicts can arise from them. I've been enjoying the darche but only because I'm a Porsche fan.

Finally tyres, what's the shelf life on some of the differing sets boots? Which are preferred? If you pit during a race does it change them or do you have to hit the back to pits button and start again to "pit"?

That is all for now but any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Ps. Do I really need to post my specs and gfx settings? I don't have an issue with this I just haven't got around to it yet.

Cheees, al.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Newbie looking for guidance Jun 16, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Pit stops guidance Aug 9, 2019
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Some advise and guidance regarding a wheel Aug 11, 2015
    General modding discussion New to modding, interested in making tracks, could use some guidance. Jan 13, 2015

3. Qwaribo

Qwaribo Alien

I'd stay in the beginning with the standard setup and learn the cars and tracks. Try also different track settings with very low grip for example.

From now on, no racing line. Imo it is very bad for learning and you need to learn the breaking points, steering points etc. Memorize the track! A racing line don't help you with that. Start with slow cars or race cars, supercars aren't the best for learning imo.

snyperal likes this.
  4. Hippy

Hippy Racer

Get that racing line turned off, in fact, put all driver aids to factory, they don't help you learn the track or the car.

I'm still running standard setups (oculus, innit) and can mix it with most of the mid paced drivers, don't get fooled into thinking a different setup will make you fast, its for refinement

As Qwaribo says, start with slower, easier cars, road cars and gt3's until you've learnt the track

snyperal likes this.
  5. snyperal

snyperal Simracer

Brilliant! I know most of them from various racing games so I'll try without the driving line. I've not changed the assists but from some cars have abs and some cars tc but it's not a conscious decision on my part.

What about apps? Do you guys use any?

6. Hippy

Hippy Racer

No apps are available in the rift, So, No.

snyperal likes this.
  7. Qwaribo

Qwaribo Alien

Only the time app too see my lap times and the chat app for online racing. besides that, no apps.

snyperal likes this.
  8. Mogster

Mogster Alien

When your in car if you move your mouse to the right side of the screen then you'll see the apps list. If you click on them they appear on screen and you can arrange them to your liking. You can activate additional apps if you change the dev apps setting in the .cfg file. Google AC dev apps activate. The way the apps are implemented is one of the best things about AC imo. Lots of people have the RSR timing app, it adds online hotlap leaderboards and integrates with AC. Once gain Google RSR Assetto Corsa.

Just to be clear. The factory settings some of the cars have, ABS, TC, stability, aren't really game assists, that's just how they really are.

I think when most people mention assists they mean the global difficulty settings that add ABS etc to cars that don't have it. This is a simulation of real cars, using (or changing) factory settings they have is OK.

snyperal likes this.
  9. Qwaribo

Qwaribo Alien

True. But every car with TC has an option too disable it. So I've TC totally disabled. I would do that irl too, first thing when you're going on track -> disable TC. (okay with supercars I would't irl) :p

snyperal likes this.
  10. Hippy

Hippy Racer

I don't agree with that, I don't really like ABS but I wouldn't disable traction control in the P1 for example on track, I'm much faster with TC enabled.

Mogster and snyperal like this.
  11. I disable TC on all cars, but I have not actually tried any of the supercars with it enabled. I get the feeling that the road version of the McLaren MP4 12C would be easier to drive, because it is one twitchy beast without it!

snyperal likes this.
  12. TunaWiz

TunaWiz Gamer

....it means nothing in a world of brutal time.

snyperal likes this.
  13. Hippy

Hippy Racer

You've got to drive them differently with TC enabled, once the car is stable into a corner, you can put your foot right down and let the computer find the edge

snyperal likes this.
  14. Enforcer-J

Enforcer-J Racer

Im the opposite, TC always off (I like to steer the car with the rear and it really slows down some cars, especially the P1 ime) and ABS usually on

snyperal likes this.
  15. Epocx

Epocx Alien

1) yes, you can and should learn what the setup does by reading the forum, but its not a bad thing to race standard setups as a beginner.
    2) yes, racing line is the same always and it helps you as you learn the track.
    3) a chat app is pretty essential (mini apps chat app for example or another one) less apps the better ac runs....
    4) you'll find them over time, ac has loads of cars/tracks to start with
    5) there is a pit option to change tires, changing tires is only needed in very long races with soft tires though. (8 laps or more)

happy racing!

snyperal likes this.
  16. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

Is it best to stick to the default tuning setup until you're cornering like a boss and laptimes are consistent and the track / breaking points are memorized?

Take some other setups in sites like racedepartment or rsr, find one you feel better and stick to it. If you now little about setups it will taka a while to start taking results from your own changes.

I currently run with the racing line on and I'm finding the red breaking zones to be a little conservative. Are they the same whatever car you're dri
    ving or do they change dependant? Is it a worthy tool to use? On most race tracks I probably have a rough idea of what's coming up next, but something like the ring would take days to memorize.

Never used it. Like the map, you look at it instead to look at the track, cant help...

What are a) essential apps, recommended apps and b) handy apps to try out but not use all the time?

rsr to see lap times, and "copy" setups by looking at sector times and top speeds. Aside from that, just the lap counter when racing and the wings/suspension apps for setup adjustment.

Finally tyres, what's the shelf life on some of the differing sets boots? Which are preferred? If you pit during a race does it change them or do you have to hit the back to pits button and start again to "pit"?

In what car? it varies greatly. Most medium/hard/smislicks/street tires will last hours.

snyperal likes this.