1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Has Kunos made a mistake?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by gregack, Jan 7, 2017.

1. gregack

gregack Racer

I'm an AC-junky. More than 1000 hours since early access, bought every DLC on release-date. Just to show you, how much I love this game.
    But I have to say, that I'm extremely dissapointed on how Kunos handled and handles the console-version. Let's be honest: They released a game which was insanely unfinished, you just have to check youtube, reviews in magazines, reviews on amazon and forums on how bad it really was. Many potential customers were discouraged and didn't buy. From what I hear, Kunos has fixed many issues pretty fast but their reputation has suffered, no doubt. It makes me especially sad because I know damn well what a great company Kunos is and what they have achieved with the PC-version.

Was the console-release too early? Do sims even work on consoles?
    What's your opinion?

2. Why/How does the console version affect you on PC?

I predict that the console version will always be vastly inferior to the PC version in pretty much every way other than physics/FFB. It's good that Kunos are continuing to improve the port, but the correct answer will always be 'get a PC'.

Markim79, LChaves, Cote Dazur and 2 others like this.
  3. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

There are deadlines that have to be kept, and if those weren't there, games would never be released until money runs out -> Duke Nukem Forever.

That being said, it would have been nice if there was enough time to prepare a Day One patch that would have brought the console and PC versions closer together upon release.

Didn't we already have that exact discussion several times now?

nate likes this.
  4. gregack

gregack Racer

Because there is so much potential in console-releases. More players ->more money for Kunos -> more stuff for all of us.

xela1 and lelinuxien52 like this.
  5. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Absolutely wrong, IMO. Kunos handled - and is handling - the console releases the absolute best they could given the situation. There were time, money and staffing constraints to be sure, but they were also breaking new ground for themselves as devs and as a company by getting into consoles. It could never have been a perfectly polished game release, and I guarantee they anticipated that. It was a learning experience that required huge, fast growing pains, and exactly like the PC version, the console versions are a constant work-in-progress. Think back to how rough a sim AC was in early access and through the first few versions.

Kunos' reputation hasn't suffered one bit. They gained fans with the console releases. There was only ever going to be a select group of console gamers that could appreciate AC. Many who purchased it did so under their own false assumptions and expectations of what kind of game/sim it would be, and these kind of console gamers will never be happy with an "unfinished" release. It's common knowledge the PC version is and will always be better, and Kunos' rep as arguably the current best racing sim developer won't be tarnished just because of what was always going to be a lesser product.

Vel, Dean Ogurek and Horus like this.
  6. gregack

gregack Racer

>Think back to how rough a sim AC was in early access and through the first few versions.

I doubt consoleros are as 'patient' as we are...

I just read in the console-forum minutes ago, that there is no possibility to change FFB similar to the PC-version.
    Console or not, AC is a hardcore-sim and this feature just has to be there, no excuse. If anybody whines about a proper carreer-mode, the graphics and so on, I would tell them straight that he should look for Forza and not for AC which is a sim. But the console-version just lacks of basic "sim-features" and for me that's a real problem...

As I said, it just makes me sad to read all the negative comments about the console-version. I think Kunos could have done better. Way better.

Michele Papis likes this.
  7. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Criticizing others is so easy. What people forget is how hard Kunos has worked to make it happen. Just by watching "Look what the cat hacked" videos we could tell that they were working even in weekends. For my part I respect a lot hard work because I know what it means. But unfortunately not everybody knows what that means. They sacrificed their lives and themselves with such a small team.
    As some say Kunos to Kunos.

sacredaardvark and rycil like this.
  8. gregack

gregack Racer

Why has it always be "praise Kunos or stfu"? I don't get it.
    I know damn well what Kunos has accomplished, believe me.

ouvert likes this.
  9. nate

nate Hardcore Simmer

It doesnt always have to be that way... The devs are always open to constructive criticism as it makes the game better. Although the fanboys of any game will always be more populous and in favor of their game of choice on the official forum for that game. That shouldnt be any surprise. But I agree, that mentality is plenty annoying to me as well.

In the same vein, why has it always got to be reposting and rehashing the past? This topic has been beaten to death and that horse has been set ablaze more times than i can count. Im sure Kunos knows the flaws with the game (that's why they are working on adding the things missing), we know the flaws with the game, and the console players know the flaws with the game.

Not much point in opening yet another thread about the topic when there are an abundance around.

Gevatter, Ace Pumpkin and Horus like this.
  10. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

This I totally agree with. It's tough for us to listen to the console gamers rip into AC (in some cases, deservedly rip into AC, because again I agree, the console versions really lack) when we know how amazing AC is on PC and how far it's come. I hated the idea of AC on console at first, then I really supported it, but was feeling pretty down when it all went sideways upon release. Maybe if they'd worked on it a little longer to iron out more of the issues before release, and maybe provided more content right from the start...

11. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

Consoles simply don't have the cpu or gpu firepower to match a decent gaming PC let alone a high end PC. Therefore the console version will always be a limited version of what is available on the PC.

Furthermore AC has never produced a great gaming environment. The career and challenges modes are highly uneven, they have no story line and aren't very compelling in and of themselves. I was disappointed when Kunos didn't deliver a new career mode moving at least a little ways in the direction of GT to make AC more attractive for console players.

I have read some feedback of AC on Consoles and it seems to me that Kunos did a decent job of creating the best AC they could within the constraints of the consoles. It seems to be at least moderately successful which has generated cash flow which benefits both console and PC users.

12. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

It's a shame. I was rooting for AC console release like so many, hoping it would blow the console audience away. And in a way it has, but not on the scale it could have been. What is shame about it, is that it was well within reach (if release was in 2017). Or even if the game was released in the state it is now.. with improved frame rates and tearing problems fixed, AI updated to current build. Add the upcoming private lobbies. Who knows what kind of reviews it could have gotten.

It still would have the basic problem of bad career mode, but with Custom Championships it would have offered more SP value. But it was Kunos's first console release. It's different environment, with different problems (like the stupid certifications).

Some bad reviews of AC stemmed from the fact that wrong type of gamers reviewed it, with wrong expectations and bad driving skills and/or no wheel. You could say that console game has to work with gamepad, but why it has to? You don't review Oculus Rift games without trying it on Oculus Rift. AC isn't all that great on gamepad, on PC either. Why should it be, you don't drive IRL supercars in high speeds with gamepad (if it was possible) unless you're suicidial. Consoles are already cheaper, don't afford a wheel? Don't get into sim racing then. Flight sims... you don't playtest DCS flight sims with gamepad and keyboard.

It doesn't affect PC version directly, but it affects Kunos funding, and thus PC version. PS4 alone is much much bigger market, than PC is. In any game. They would have deserved a mega success and ton of money. They are just that good, I would have hoped it for them. Maybe with AC2 then

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Stephen Driscoll likes this.
  13. Snoopy

Snoopy Alien

Ofcourse they ****ed up bad. They released a game with no private lobbies on a console. People were livid and madly dissapointed after the massive hype kunos built up pre-release. Many traded in and many other didnt even buy it because of the bad publicity. They missed on A LOT of sales and good reputation. The general opinion of the game among console players now is : "that game with good potential that is not quite there yet"
    How can anyone say they couldnt have done it better? Who knows how much money, time and manpower they had on it. Who knows their deals with 505, PS and dealers?
    The mere fact they work non-stop SCREAMS bad management. When you set a deadline you have to be realistic. Now if they planned on releasing a game that's not worthy of being called complete or at least up to par with other games' features, then that's a another problem with their strategy. (did v1.0 feel ready on PC?). One that absolutely strips them of any "professionals" and "perfectionists" title.

14. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

I know approximately the console performance. On the opposite, I think they did quite a surprising job keeping the game running at 60fps or running smoothly overall while keeping the fidelity of the graphic & gameplay.

15. Psit

Psit Alien

Kunos will never lose any credibility for us, pc simracers who are here since forever, or for every simracer in that matter.
    But for the console release, in my opinion, they should at least have bindable keys, multiplayer lobbies and track rotation IN before the release, because they are selling a _sim_ to _gamers_.
    Also, the fps hiccups hurt the reputation a lot, but got fixed.

SMOKING__MONKEY3 likes this.
  16. Eddy Baldon

Eddy Baldon Gamer

Pc gamers are significantly more vulnerable and forgive more than most consoleros. If there are some probs, mostly - ex and hop. Also this species hasn't realised, that both hardware and generally limitations set clear limits. Independently of this, with acquirering the other platforms Kunos has done everything right.

17. petesky

petesky Simracer

I'm glad the console version is crap, how many times do PC gamers get crappy console ports?

18. Horus

Horus Alien

Amen brother, Amen. :D

petesky likes this.
  19. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

How can you say the console version is a crap? I can see AC YouTube vĂ­deos, and find it difficult to see diferences between the two version, graphics, physics and I belive FFB are very similar. Looks like console ver. Is only missing some Game options.

Mogster and stefanoCasillo like this.
  20. Mogster

Mogster Alien

There are YouTube vids from the PS4 version and performance looks fine. I don't have it, but I can't see any serious issues here. It looks good tbh.

Xbox One

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017