1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Help me choose a vga [760 4gb vs. 770 2gb]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Roland Osza, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Roland Osza

Roland Osza Simracer

I'm thinking in Nvidia models only, so far I have my eyes on 2 models:

- GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-4GD for €240
    - GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD for €270

First of all, I already know that both of these cards will be bottlenecked by my current CPU (i3 3220 3.3Ghz) but I'm planning to replace that with an i5 in the near future. Also, AC is more VGA dependent as far as I know but please clarify that one. Currently I have an HD7770, it runs fine in 1080p at low settings but once I enable effects it's barely hitting 30fps. So it's time to get rid of it.

Basically I only need this for AC, I don't play BF4 on ultra specs. The thing I'm not sure about is the memory, 4GB vs 2GB. Obviously the 770 is more powerful, but if a 760 is totally enough running AC on high settings then I can live with it.

I would like to hear your opinion about these cards and the memory size, since I'm totally not sure whether 2GB is more than enough for AC or not. I don't want to throw it away in case AC gets more gfx features and memory would be the only limit to run it without issues. Thanks for your help in advance. ;)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay Can’t Choose BMW for Sprint Nov 26, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Don't work, when i choose wheel control. Sep 5, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Unable to choose tyre set Aug 21, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Why choose AC if u not there for SIMrace ? Mar 18, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Whatever i choose it brings me only Lotus Elise and the Magione circuit. Please help! Dec 22, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Friends can join but can't choose car Jul 3, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Can't choose 3440x1440 resolution in ACC Dec 22, 2019
    ACC Physics Why would AI choose to run slower engine map in Sprint race? Sep 1, 2019
    ACC Virtual Reality HP Reverb vs Rift S (no real issue had to choose a prefix) Aug 16, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer Choose car # in entry list Jul 8, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Championship: can't choose all the cars Jul 6, 2019
    ACC User Interface If possible, allows us to choose Setups from other tracks May 30, 2019
    ACC User Interface Choose Superwide resolution with triple screen windowed Dec 4, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Why Can't We Choose Time of Day In Full Race Weekend Modes? Nov 20, 2018
    Suggestions HUD app sets 1-4 ----- Shortcut to choose them? Oct 7, 2017

3. Snjper

Snjper Hardcore Simmer

If possible add some extra cash to that and get the 970

Test show it has almost the same performance as a 780 (non Ti) and support all the new tech. The 970 is also replacing the 770 (discontinued). Same goes for the 980 which replaces the 780/780Ti.

Nasos Charalampou and BMASTER like this.
  4. TheBestBeast

TheBestBeast Simracer

Hi!

I have GTX760 and it runs silk smooth all and you can see my settings below :) I have a 2GB version and I think it was my best decision made in past few years :) Memory is not the point for the game. If I were you, I would go for 770 ;)

5. TheBestBeast

TheBestBeast Simracer

Ohh and btw...go for gigabyte! It's super silent and cools my graphic card superbly!

6. Roland Osza

Roland Osza Simracer

Thank you. Also, could you explain where/when does memory matter? Can't think of anything at the moment, maybe triple screens? I'm a not a tech guy and I'm just interested. If memory is not important for AC then the 770 seems to be the real deal.

7. TheBestBeast

TheBestBeast Simracer

Lets take for an example clouds in this game. If you want to modify them you can do it. But more clouds you add to the game more gpu memory will take. GPU memory is affected by the level of the details in the game. But as far as I know there is no need for a 4GB version of the gpu. You can look at the tests where they have compared 2GB 760 vs 4GB 760. There is no important difference at all in FPS. Maybe max 2 FPS but really MAYBE!

For the triple screen you need really strong gpu which normally already has 4GB or the RAM. Those are high end gpus and are combined in SLI or CF. Even low end gpus can have 2gb of ram which is irrelevant.

So go for 770 and you won't regret it ;)

You can check this link for more info ;) http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2013851/gtx-760-2gb-4gb.html

EDIT: Wonderful example of the difference shown with tests :D You will be surprised :D

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/

8. AugGust

AugGust Racer

I think this mainly depends on your game resolution. The extra VRAM on the 760 will not benefit you if you're only gaming at 1080p, so you'll be better off getting the 770 2GB which has more horsepower and will give you better FPS and can crank up the graphics settings. However if you're gaming above 1080P, the extra horsepower by the 770 will be bottlenecked by its low amount of VRAM and will instead perform worse than the 760 which has 4GB.

My two cents is, if resolution > 1080p, get the 760 4GB, else get the 770 2GB for better FPS

TheBestBeast likes this.
  9. Roland Osza

Roland Osza Simracer

Thanks for the explanations. I have a single 1080p monitor, not planning to go SLI or triple screen, so it's been decided.

10. DaveRS

DaveRS Racer

+1 for the 970. Amazing performance for the price.

11. AC performed very well on my old PC, and that used a 1GB GeForce GTX 560Ti. My new one has a 2GB GTX 770, so I think I can say with some confidence that I will never experience any framerate issues in AC. Mind you, I run everything at 1280x1024 resolution on a single 19" LCD monitor, so I am not exactly throwing the book at it!

12. rdBaZti

rdBaZti Gamer

All I can say is that even with FULL HD I reached 2,8 GB used Vram already.

13. T'PAU

T'PAU Hardcore Simmer

When driving on very large tracks (Transfagarasan comes to my mind), 2gb vram could be not enough. At least it has been discussed in the thread of this track, afaik.
    But normally using 1920x1080, there shouldn't be a problem with 2gb.

14. greamec

greamec Gamer

I run an MSI GTX770 with an I3 and get about 150 to 170 fps with just me on track.
    Greame

15. Turk

Turk Alien

I have a GTX 770 with an i7 and it's not enough to max out AC. I have to run at medium - high settings go get a stable frame rate of about 120fps. I wouldn't buy one now knowing the 900 series is out. I'll be waiting for the oculus rift to come out and I'll be upgrading to one of the 900 cards.

16. greamec

greamec Gamer

is that a S1150 seems low for an I7?

17. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

This isn't necessarily true. With developers switching over to having next-gen consoles a baseline, vRAM requirements are going to go up, even at 1080p. 2GB will probably do *ok* for a while still, but it will be a bottleneck for certain settings in an increasing number of games. Ryse, for example, requires 3GB vRAM at 1080p for the Very High texture setting. I would bet my monkey's banana that The Witcher 3 will require more than 2GB for the higher settings. Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity will all likely take advantage of cards with extra vRAM. And the list will grow larger as time goes on. And if you like downsampling or using SGSSAA or whatever, these can be hampered by limited video RAM.

So choose carefully. I'm not going to advise *against* 2GB so long as you are aware of the limitations it will have going forward and you are fine with that.

Personally, what I *would* advise is what several others have mentioned already - spend a little bit extra and get a GTX970. It is a big jump up from a GTX770 for not much more money and you will not have to worry about vRAM limitations.

18. Turk

Turk Alien

Ya, it's an asus p8p67 pro.

19. kruether

kruether Rookie

I have the gigabyte 770 2gb that you listed above and can confirm that I cannot hear it (even under full load) and that it can handle this game with everything maxed out no probs. I run it with an i7 3770 and 8 gb of ram. The only thing about this card is that it is quite big! The dimensions are: Length=292mm Width=129mm Height=43mm.

TheBestBeast likes this.
  20. Why do you need 120fps? I could live quite happily with 40.

21. Turk

Turk Alien

It's not so much that I need 120fps but I get frame rate drops the odd time or when there's a lot happening on screen so I run the graphics lower to avoid the frame rate dropping to low during races. V-sync doesn't work to well for me either.

I think my PC may be due a format and clean install of windows.