1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How is the laser-scan size incorrect at S-Schumacher?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by M346ZCP, Mar 19, 2014.

1. M346ZCP

M346ZCP Simracer

Hi chaps,

ok, the title is more a joke, but i really dont understand this and how this is possible:

You are really proud that every track is laser scanned. I love the fact so far.

Kunos also said, that the Nuerburgring GP is laserscanned too. How it comes than, that in 0.7.5 patchnote:

- Fixed Concrete size at S-Schumacher, Nurburgring GP

If the track would be laser scanned, than it wouldnt be possible to code a wrong size at a corner. Where am i wrong thinking?

Seen here or in the patch notes:
    http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-early-access-beta-0-7-5-released

Im not hating at all - just wondering :)

Cheers

Mark

(PS: Just 12 days till i can ride my ///M3 again - im so happy haha)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Suggestions Just a thought: laser-scanned public roads Oct 1, 2014
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Next Gen Grid Size Feb 9, 2022
    ACC General Discussions Resize Bar Mar 31, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars [improving] focus area and far size Dec 30, 2020
    ACC User Interface Menu & UI Size Jul 27, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Adjust screen size Jun 26, 2020
    ACC User Interface Virtual Mirror Size Option (Solved with 1.8.12) May 19, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds In Game Menu Size May 6, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Porsche 991 II Cup Tire sizes Apr 24, 2020
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Floating Tire FIX? (Width, Rim radius, Tire Size) Mar 20, 2020
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Replay size & length Nov 2, 2019
    ACC Physics AMR Vantage V8 GT3 fuel tank size Oct 26, 2019
    ACC User Interface V1.1 - UI and HUD don't respect increased grid sizes Oct 23, 2019
    ACC Virtual Reality Why is game small on my monitor but in VR it's correct size? Oct 12, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Size of Right side app menu Aug 30, 2019

3. plaid

plaid Alien

After you laserscanned the track it isnt magicly is done in 3D.
    If the virtual surface needs to be place manually on the scanned data, its clearly the case.
    So even the data is there and correct there is still the chance to make a mistake in the process.
    If its about the track itself, maybe the patch note adresses a part outside the actual track. Edit: or something just visually like a texutre.

Whatever im no expert, but I think so.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  4. deathsquid

deathsquid Gamer

Not sure about that one. But you could of worded the title of the thread a lot better.

5. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I think calling the dev's "liars" is a bit excessive, no?

6. M346ZCP

M346ZCP Simracer

God...
    Guys please read, just a joke.

I changed the topic for you sissis :)

7. Darren Blythe

Darren Blythe Hardcore Simmer

Plaid is absolutely correct. I work with scan data on a professional basis. It easy to think laser scanning is a magic bullet. Nothing could be further from the truth. All the scan does is provide accurate source data that still has to be interpreted and modeled up by the artist. It's arguably more time consuming and difficult than traditional modelling, but it produces a more accurate end result - eventually. Mistakes are still easy to make. Imagine doing a join the dots puzzle, but with several million points in 3D space and you get the idea how easy it might be to put a line in the wrong place. :p

8. M346ZCP

M346ZCP Simracer

Okay, i get it then :)
    Thanks guys.

Additional Question:
    Does the laser scan also gets Bumps or the "plates" found on the nordschleife for example?

Im wondering because in Forza 4 (I know, not a SIM) the GP course is very very bumpy on the little straight, 2 Corners after the Schumacher-S, 1 Corner bevor the Long Counter Straight.
    I was told that this is accurate because the track is very very bumpy there in real.
    I drove it 2 Years ago with my Toyota MR2 Turbo but i cant remember.

9. sketchyterry

sketchyterry Simracer

Yeah the laser scan will pick up bumps, think its accurate to a centimeter or so. Can't remember exactly how accurate but more than enough :)

10. Darren Blythe

Darren Blythe Hardcore Simmer

It'll pick up bumps no problem. It'll pick up coins and cigarette buts if it's fine enough. It just depends on what you are scanning and how accurate you need it to be really.

11. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I wouldn't call them "liars", that's a very strong term. However I am curious how discrepancies like these are made. Laser scanning is supposed to have a 1cm accuracy (I think), so to miss a kerb, and a massive gravel trap... I dunno, it's kinda odd. Especially when you look at the building issues and misplaced grandstands, I mean to me that kind of stuff doesn't really matter all that much, but to some people it might.

marlo0081, Mogster and Erwin like this.
  12. Bailey

Bailey Alien

There are a number of different laser scanning methods, software, and equipment. It just depends I guess.
    ~Bailey

13. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

has that part of the track changed much in the last few years? I thought I read that with Nurb GP (and maybe Mugello) some stuff was carried over from Ferrari Virtual Academy. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Mogster likes this.
  14. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Yes, it depends when the track was scanned.

15. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Nothing has changed for years at these locations. Those Nurburgring kerbs were installed some time between 2002 - 2007. Even if it was scanned in 2010, the scan should have picked them up.

16. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

exactly same point of view

laser scan is great, gives you additional layer of accuracy , but at the same time, you take longer to do it, because you make sure it's accurate, and as always, you can make mistakes

the biggest mis-conception is that they scan the track, but that's what you see, and not also completely on what you drive as well, visual mesh needs to be done from scratch, since scanned data is way to heavy, and the physics collision mesh can be used from the scan, but it still needs to be simplified a bit

here is a nice video of work-in-progress, other companies might use different techniques

17. marlo0081

marlo0081 Hardcore Simmer

Laser scanners create point clouds, a 3d designer still has to assign and arrange polygons etc as normal to create the environment. The cloud will be correct, the designer however is human ergo capable of error, it happens all the time with games. Hence having beta/early access testers. Liar is a bit harsh for a geometry snafu

18. marlo0081

marlo0081 Hardcore Simmer

With all these critics of kunos over minor details, I'm really looking forward to all the flawless mods people will be creating ;) Although I wonder thinking about it, if some of the harshness in the varying forums comes from the moniker 'Early Access', people are accustomed to betas being buggy and unfinished, maybe to some early access implies a greater level of completion? Or am I forgetting that this is the internet..

19. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

modded content will of course come with mistakes too, because it will have probably even less testing than what kunos has done

every person who understand a bit how games are made accepts this and has no problem with that,
    if someone expects finished game with early access, well, it's his fight

and this is the Internet after-all, where everybody knows everything, but hasn't done anything

however, let's not say that all critique is coming from people who don't know anything, there is lot of valid points here and there, and while Kunos does their job well, they are still only human

"early access - it's not for everyone"

20. M346ZCP

M346ZCP Simracer

Jesus christ - bros that was just a joke, calm down!!

I really know what a early access is and i appreciate it very much, i play AC 20-40h a week.
    I also pointed out 3 Bugs / improvments and created topics so i guess im useful for kunos.

And again, it was just a fck*** joke with thay lair thing, i even pointed it out in the first sentence of the first post....

21. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

[​IMG]

they released this pic on fb, thats what they got i think
    but nürburgring seems to be from fva game, so dunno how accurate this was.