1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

I wonder about how RAM is used

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Skybird, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Skybird

Skybird Alien

One thing I wonder about:

It was said that the replay file is kept in RAM (until saved after the race).

I have 8 GB RAM.

During a session with AC, I see in a graph that my system uses not all those 8GB at all, but more than the half, but still less than three quarters. I think saying it uses 5 GB of my RAM, is a fair estimation.

That leaves 3 GB RAM untouched. Even more, the virtual RAM on my HD nevertheless gets accessed. Why - if I have 3 GB RAM left?

What I am wondering about is why I cannot have longer replays than 500 MB, when I have so much RAM unused?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions PS5 vs PC lapt time comparison, for those who wonders... Nov 20, 2022
    ACC User Interface I wonder if the game "Assetto Corsa Competizione" released by XBOXONE ver support Korean subtitles. May 23, 2020
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues I wonder if anyone have tried this for controlpads Jul 3, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Newbie wondering if fanatec wheel is supported Oct 13, 2018
    General modding discussion New to the game, wondering if this was possible. Jan 4, 2017
    General modding discussion For those wondering if the URD paymods are good... Nov 22, 2016
    Liveries Mazda MX 5 Cup Wonder Bread 26 Jun 6, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Why do I prefer the smaller cars, I wonder? May 19, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Merry xmas and a wonderful 2016 !!!! Dec 23, 2015
    Liveries Dorsche 991 gt3 cup - #26 wonder bread Sep 14, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Just wondering... Mar 15, 2015
    General modding discussion Wonder if possible in ac Mar 12, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Noob question wondering if my computer is safe to play this Nov 28, 2014
    Chit Chat Room I'm wondering if grid autosport can really be this bad Jun 25, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Wonder if they regret putting ai in now? Apr 14, 2014

3. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I am pretty sure AC is a 32bit application so it can only address a maximum of 4gb if ram. On 64bit apps can use more not sure if its possible for a 32bit app to use a seperate portion of memory for something like the replay filek8nd 9f like a virtual ram disk to get the total amount above 4gb. On a 64 bit Os a 32bit app can use 4gb just for itself and leave the rest for OS and background processes. If you were on a 32bit OS then the total amount of ram useable would be 4gb no matter how much you had. Currently I havent seen any need for AC to need more then 4gb other then the replay size and the limitations of this method currently used.

4. OffAgain

OffAgain Simracer

They should be being streamed to disk anyway, thereby making RAM a moot point.

5. Festa_PWR

Festa_PWR Alien

There is a file that addresses the replay file size, and I`m pretty sure I had it set at 500 (coincidence) when the in-game limit was still 25MB.

Maybe try editing the file manually to 1000 (essentially 1GB) and see if it saves a file over 500MB? You would have to do a pretty long race though, because if my memory serves me correct, a 15 minute race took about 300MB?

Skybird likes this.
  6. g4b1bb097

g4b1bb097 Hardcore Simmer

That's because acs.exe is a 32bits executable that can only access to a maximum of 4GB of ram where 500MB of this space is reserved for replays

7. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Oh, I thought it were truly 64 Bit, "next generation" and all that. 32 Bit explains it all. The additional 1-1.5 GB in use must be system-related, then.

The replay size edit in the ini does not work too well, since I did that and know it causes the maximum number of cars to drop. When fixing the replay (by mistake) in the ini to 1 hour, the game did not launch to race with more than 12 or 13 cars in the grid.

8. Skybird

Skybird Alien

That depends on the number of cars in race. With 16 cars and 0.61, around 5 laps were covered. With 24 cars, at least the first third of the race already was missing. Well, roughly estimating by my memories. Obviously, it also depends on the length of track, and the speed at which the cars do one round. The more time it takes, the fewer distance the replay covers.

9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I suggested that in a thread three weeks ago or so. Staff said that doing so would mean a nightmare for the HD. I had no idea in what way that would be a nightmare for the HD, but I am technically not competent to put the programmer's reply into question.

10. Festa_PWR

Festa_PWR Alien

I never tried editing the time limit in the ini file, so can't vouch for that, but have you tried increasing the max file size past the in-game limit?

11. g4b1bb097

g4b1bb097 Hardcore Simmer

This is not because of poor coding but because a lot of people are still on 32bit systems and then if it was only 64bits then a slice of market would be cutted off

OffAgain likes this.
  12. OffAgain

OffAgain Simracer

Two, say, 50mb buffers, one being filled and one being written out in a couple of big writes on a separate thread once filled (then swap 'em over) would barely make the machine blink and wouldn't block the thread filling the current buffer for the sort of amount of time that makes game programmers wince (i.e. anything perceptible).

Voila one 2 minute "I wonder how quick it'll actually write that amount of data in one hit" bit of code...
    Code:

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
    {
       byte[] buffer = new byte[1024 * 1024 * 50];

System.IO.FileStream fileStream = new System.IO.FileStream("c:\\test.crap", System.IO.FileMode.OpenOrCreate, System.IO.FileAccess.Write);
       fileStream.Seek(0, System.IO.SeekOrigin.End);
       fileStream.Write(buffer, 0, buffer.Length);
       fileStream.Flush();
       fileStream.Close();
    }

...profiled at 45ms, and 5ms of that was allocating the buffer. So that's 500MB dumped to my crappy C: drive in ten 50MB chunks in 0.045 seconds, during which time a writing thread would be asleep anyway (so that's not wholly lost time on a given core). Streaming the stuff to disk in chunks is child's play and has no performance implications beyond, er, freeing up more memory.

Okay, appending every single record in the replay to a file the moment it was created would be horribly slow, but it would also be a truly stupid solution to the problem.

Non-techy version - Nah, it's dead quick. Whoever told you that didn't have their thinking brain in.

mangal likes this.
  13. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I just said I did, and I just gave the description of what consequences that had! ;) It comes at the cost of reducing the number of cars you can have in a race.

14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Just to avoid any misunderstandings, I nowhere said or implied "poor coding".

15. Skybird

Skybird Alien

As I said, it was somebody official from Kunos team, Giovanni Romagnoli. See this thread from February 1st, and post #10: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...f-memory-replay-size-too-big.5914/#post-70282

Maybe he reads this and could leave a comment ?!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  16. Festa_PWR

Festa_PWR Alien

You know what, i`m having one of those days today where i`m reading bits of information and it's not sinking in!

I give up lol

17. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Maybe they release someday a 64 bit exe. That would be nice, some games already use only 64 bit.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

18. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I wonder how many people are still on 32 bit os, 64 bit processors have been the only ones sold for quite a few years but its amazed me why windows dragged its butt for so long continuing with 32 bit when it can run 64 and 32 bit apps without issues in 64 bit OS. Sure driver issues was probably the main hold up but all new hardware over the last 5 to 10 years will have 64 bit drivers too.

19. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

20. Aceking

Aceking Racer

With the very fast and large SSD's available i believe there should be the option to save to disc rather than memory for those who are able to! :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  21. Darren Marsh

Darren Marsh Racer

iRacing streams replays to disk and it's not an issue even on a HDD.

Here's a better place to look for stats on gamer systems
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

6% for XP32, 1.3% Vista32, 12% Win7 32.