1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

If you wanted to show of VR and sim racing, which car and track would you use?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andysonofbob, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Andysonofbob

Andysonofbob Gamer

Hi

Some mates are coming round and I want to show them VR and various gaming hardware. I am going to show them RoboRecall and Elite Dangerous but also want to demo AC.

I have a G29 wheel but I have used the awesome LUT generator thingy which has transformed the wheel beyond belief.

Question. What car and track would you use. I dont have R2R but have all the others bar P3. I was thinking the Lotus 2 11 (or whatever it is called) because it is great fun to drive and is fairly immediate with regard to ffb. But what circuit?

I would love your thoughts.

Thanks!

ps
    How much more fun is the 3 11 (or whatever it is called) that you get in R2R. Is it worth the asking price?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Drivers wanted Wed/Fri/Sundays Sep 20, 2022
    ACC Tools ACC brakepoint- indicator/trainer wanted, pls help Mar 20, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos BMW M3 GT3 Need For Speed Most Wanted on Assetto Corsa Jul 18, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting IMPORTANT: editing engine settings and unwanted results Dec 10, 2020
    Chit Chat Room BMW M3 GT2 @redbull ring advice wanted Oct 3, 2020
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room New team - Drivers Wanted Sep 23, 2020
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Commentor and broadcaster wanted Aug 23, 2020
    General modding discussion Help wanted for 350z car mod Jul 7, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Wanted to say Hi, Permission to post on the troubleshooting forum? Dec 23, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Wanted: As many drivers as possible to stress our dedi Server tonight. Nov 3, 2019
    Chit Chat Room oversteer correction techniques wanted! Sep 10, 2019
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room You wanted it, so here it is...MrGit's ACC League! Jun 8, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Tire pressures.. Tips wanted :) May 10, 2019
    Online Leagues / Championships room Australian based PS4 community, clean racers wanted. Jun 9, 2017
    General modding discussion Say I wanted to paint the Silverstone curbs black... Jun 9, 2017

3. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Porsche GT4 Clubsport around a track that most people that have played racing games know already - Nurburgring GP.

Andysonofbob and paul_wev like this.
  4. mms

mms Alien

First of all, make sure they don't suffer from motion sickness, and let them know to take off the headset as soon as they start to feel dizzy (someone got really sick when trying AC with my Rift, and it was only for 30 seconds, on a flat track, it was really scary for me!!!).

It depends on whether they have driving/racing experience with other games/sims. If they already know a track from other games, use that track (just avoid tracks with lots of elevation changes, those can make some people dizzy fast even if they don't have motion sickness). If not I would put them on Highlands.

For the car I would start with a lower powered car, than go to more high-powered cars if they are good at it.

Andysonofbob likes this.
  5. Tberg

Tberg Alien

+1 @mms suggestions.

I've had both children, my age friends and my dad and friends trying out AC in VR. Something like 15-20 people, and a lot of situations a very similar regardless of age and prior simexperience.

Number 1, is to make sure they're comfortable and know how the up, down, left and right positions of the HMD, together with the IPD adjust, affects the overall sharpness and experience.
    Next, good idea to fire up a demo or some easy game, to let them try 'VR'.
    Now, when going to AC, one thing has been certain with all that has tried my setup: nobody can drive a "difficult" car from the start. It also pushes the limit if they tend to get motionsickness, if they can't control the car.
    Pick something easy and slow first, and preferable a short track with less to no elevation, like Magione or Silverstone National.
    Preferably pick a car with padle-gears, as clutch+shifter is a little much for a rookie trying VR, unless everything goes fine and they ask for it.
    If they 'pass' playing an easy combo, maybe put in a laptime without puking or flying of the track, then advance to a faster but easy car. Any GT3 will do usually :p

In general, make it as easy a possible at first. Put on tyrewarmers, 100%grip, TC/ABS on and so on. Then based on how you can see they perfrom, ask if they want to proceed to something more demanding.
    Also, if you see them strugling with a track, don't change track when changing cars. Let them try one change at the time, so the less they have to focus on learning, the better the initial VR experience.

Cheers!

chksix, Andysonofbob and mms like this.
  6. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Racer

Any car around Imola, the porsche gt3r around nords. The corvette c7r around VIR

arthur666 and Andysonofbob like this.
  7. Turk

Turk Alien

You should start with something normal just to give them a familiar environment A BMW or something convertable. But the open seaters are going to wow them, I had a friend try it and he kept shouting "I can see the wheels!".

Andysonofbob, mms, AvGas and 2 others like this.
  8. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Yeah, openwheelers or the KTM are good 'wow!'s :D

Andysonofbob, Nahkamarakatti and mms like this.
  9. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Maybe give them a passenger ride in an open top car round nords?

Join a server and spectate somebody in an open top car. Then use F6 to cycle through the cameras to put them in the passenger seat. Then as am added thrill, get them to stand up and experience a lap standing in an open top car round nords :D

I tried this when I tested the CV1, as a passenger in the MX-5, really appreciate the quality of the AC VR implementation without needing any driving skill. And I kept bracing myself for the corners :p

10. St3fan

St3fan Alien

The combo I've been using was BMW m235i at Vallelunga Club. Most of the people who've tried on my rig are not car guys (those average type of US people who don't even understand how different gears work on a car), and the paddle shift is much easier for them. I turn on ABS, TC, and 40% AC for them, so they don't spin too often. I chose this track because it is short so they can remember the corners quite easily and I know the track pretty well and I can coach them (while in the mean time I need to teach them the basic concept of shifting gears).

I find people getting motion sickness very easily if they aren't driving in VR.

Andysonofbob, Tberg and kofotsjanne like this.
  11. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Good question, first thing is that what you want to show is the being there feeling, not how good AC is as if they are not into SIM, they will not know the difference.
    If they are not into SIM, they are not use to to being on a track either.
    I would put them in a road car, something they can relate to, Audi, Beemer, Mustang or even maybe an SUV at Trento Bondone or any well done up hill road, like Transfagaran and tell them to drive like they do IRL No app on screen, just them in the car.
    Then, if they like it, I would put them on a easy track, Silverstone national, in a Tatuus with AI, just because seating in an open wheeler with other car around is a mind blowing experience in VR.
    Then after that let them choose what the think could be interesting.

Andysonofbob and detoit like this.
  12. detoit

detoit Racer

I'm going to likely disagree with most people here. But I've done this demo to a more than 2 dozen people now -

Miata or Boxster on highlands at sunset.. keep it simple first. Having a convertible also tends to give you tons to see and lets folk get over the desire to look all around while driving.

No tracks, no race cars on first try. Even for an experienced driver. Keep it simple at start. A road and a not to powerful convertible let a person get acclimated quickly. People generally want to look around when they first start in VR and then they just crash. Plus you want the sensation of speed and altitude change to come on subtle as to not make people ill.

I generally start there and up it to a fast road car (Nismo, gt3rs, 458). Then to a easy race car (gt4 or 235iR), then the tatuus open wheeler to end it.

Nathan.

13. Some slow open wheeler or Miata. KTM X-Bow has been succesful first ride too. Do not give any demo passenger ride because that's the way to get people feel very sick.

Andysonofbob and Tberg like this.
  14. Andysonofbob

Andysonofbob Gamer

Thanks for all the tips!

I like the Highland at sunset idea, combined with the Bow. The bow looks good and you can see all the car's little details. :)

15. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

Something open-top, definitely. If they're not familiar with racing games/sims, I'd just put them in the modern MX-5. If they are, then maybe something like the 2-Eleven. The 3-Eleven is amazing, but it's very fast. So yea, totally worth buying, but maybe not for demonstrating to 1st timers.

As for track, just dont pick something flat or overly challenging. Find a track where the corners tend to be fairly visible ahead of time so there's less of a 'learning the track' aspect to their experience. Highlands Long is a good pick. Was just driving there this morning at sunset in a Boxster and it definitely gives you a good look ahead to the corners.

16. Turk

Turk Alien

The only thing about a long, or even normal length track like silverstone is it will take them a while to figure out the track. The short highlands track in town is very easy to learn. The problem wit the highlands track is the variable surface is going to be difficult for newbies.

17. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

The best for VR is a track with plenty elevation changes (roller coaster like). Nords, Bathurst but UK tracks like Oulton Park or maybe Mosport Park across the pond.

I would try a formula and a tin-top.

18. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

Well that's why I suggested a track that you could see the corners in fairly well ahead of time. You dont need to 'learn' the track. For a newbie, it's not going to be about competitiveness, but about the experience. So long as they can drive around without crashing and missing brake points and corners by miles(cuz they didn't know what was coming up), I think the user will be able to really enjoy the VR aspects rather than worrying about getting around the track at all.

19. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Most definitely Nemuno Ziedas and Jaguar XJ13 :D

Joke... XJ13 doesn't fit Nemuno Ziedas. Would take 908LH

Seriously, would take brands hatch, and open wheeler, open wheelers are the best with VR IMO

20. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Not for first timers, unless they're comfortable and show no sign of motionsickness. Elevated tracks are the worst, but they bring the biggest 'wow' for seasoned VR players.

Tiago Fortuna likes this.
  21. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I myself tried KTM at one of the short Highland tracks (I think it was the drift layout) and felt a bit dizzy in town :( Maybe it was because the buildings were too close to me.