1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Life tip (and frustration) about long video card and asus

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by St3fan, Sep 9, 2015.

1. St3fan

St3fan Alien

When I built my gaming computer a year and half ago I chose an ASUS GTX770 instead of EVGA version because it was about $50 cheaper then. ASUS card is about 1 inch longer (or maybe 1.5 inch longer) than the EVGA one which forced me to upgrade my midtower case into a full tower one. But the trouble didn't stop just there.

Last Friday I couldn't boot up my system. After a couple of testing I found that the problem was the video card was now a little bit bent due to its weight. This led to poor connection between the GPU and the PCIE port, and I had to lie down the huge computer case.

Now I have a very wasteful setup on my desk and it's very annoying. Besides, I still can't get the computer to boot occasionally, and I have to open the case and give the GPU a little push to the top of the case when this happens. I would recommend whoever's gonna invest in an extra long type of video card to have a video card weight support, or find a way to support the GPU if you want your system to last longer.

Also I found ASUS/ASROCK products quite disappointing:
    All my 3 monitors are ASUS 24 inch monitors (cheapest on Amazon), and I've got them one by one the past 3 years. The newer version is always a tad worse than the old one, and the latest model with integrated speaker has a very low volume which renders it useless (I quote a comment on Amazon: turn on the volume to max and sounds like a mouse fart).
    I have an ASUS external optic drive which I've been using very slightly these 2 years, and the USB port of it just dropped a couple of weeks ago.
    This extra long ASUS GTX770 is a pain.
    The ASROCK B85 motherboard that I'm using has a bad design on the PCIE port. The clip that secures the cards doesn't go back far enough to allow smooth plug in/out of your GPU, and is not strong enough to hold your card tightly. Also it took me 2 boards to make the system work. The first motherboard shipped in was broken.

I guess I get what I pay for.

Here you can see the video card is bent thanks to gravity:
    2015-09-07 09.59.35.jpg
    2015-09-07 09.59.51.jpg

I used to put my computer case on the floor like this:
    2015-09-04 00.51.22.jpg

But now I have to put the case on my desk and have this pretty bad setup:
    2015-09-08 17.50.28.jpg

Well I think I can look on the bright side though: I'm now forced to be much closer to my monitors and have a wider FOV. I'm not saying that you should avoid ASUS products at all cost, but do take the build quality into consideration when you find something cheap...

LeDude83 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Le Mans Tips (Real life) Apr 5, 2014
    ACC Physics Does ACC not implement real life braking mechanics?(Need some insights on this recent youtube video) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Wrong angle on the side mirrors compared to real life Mar 31, 2023
    Chit Chat Room AC "anti-rollbar stock setting" VS real life cars "anti-rollbar stock setting" Mar 16, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Battery life Nov 8, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Blacklisted from Touge Life 3 Sep 22, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Some Tracks won't load (Nordschlife for example) Jul 10, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Problema con inquadratura vr al nordschlife Nov 16, 2021
    Screens & Videos Tokyo Shutoko Expressway | Cruise Life Experience Mar 16, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Custom Championship And True To Life Feb 14, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos Real life cockpit videos Feb 9, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions This week - I'm wasting my life away on 24hr endurance (offline) Nov 11, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Gameplay Suggestion - List of potential improvement on ACC Quality of life Jul 18, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB vs Real Life - Something to Try Jul 18, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Real life VS AC - its still the Daddy Jul 16, 2020

3. flyingpig

flyingpig Hardcore Simmer

Get a bit of thin wooden dowling, cut it to length then jam it somewhere under the droopy corner of the card to keep it a bit more level. Computer back upright on the floor, no more loose connection, more gaming, less annoyance.

4. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Did you use the little screw to hold the gpu on its rear together with the case vent opening where gpu's rear is? That usually holds it tight without letting the gpu tilt, in most cases.

5. Both great suggestions.

As mentioned try to tighten it with the two bolts onto your case and see if it does the job.If this wont work then add the piece of wood.

6. SuperBobKing

SuperBobKing Racer

I am pretty sure that my video card is longer (Gigabyte GTX760 Windforce) and it is fine. Video cards sagging is normal these days but I haven't heard of one failing because of it until now, so it isn't a common issue. It could be that the slot on the motherboard couldn't take the weight, or you just happened to get a bad unit. I would suggest figuring out which one it is and send that part in under warranty, if you still can. Even if you can get around it now the issue can only get worse.

It is definitely a good idea not to cheap out on parts. When I built my first computer I was on a tight budget, and every component that I went cheaper than I should have broke after 2 or 3 years at very inopportune times (I am pretty sure it was all within a couple of months of the warranty running out too.

7. I was a long time buyer of Asus GPUs, until the last time when I found they'd started using a 3-slot wide cooler which just wouldn't have fitted along with the other cards I have - so I gave HIS a try, and was pleasantly surprised with how quiet & cool this card has been. Performance has been stellar too. I think I'd still get another Asus motherboard, though.

The worst things these days seem to be PSUs - I've gone through three BeQuiet units in three years which are definitely not cheap or supposedly poor quality, and now I'm using a Seasonic KM which has thankfully survived nearly two.

8. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I'll probably get something adjustable to have easy fitting.

I can't find a way to screw and secure the GPU rear to my case.

I'm thinking the problem is both fthe GPU and the motherboard, considering my experience with ASUS/ASROCK.

Speak of PSU, my Corsair PSU's 24pin is extremely hard to plug in and unplug. It feels very plastic and cheaply built.

9. Quffy

Quffy Alien

This is a picture from google images, but my gpu is also held like that on the pc case. Just the pcie slot is not enough. Your pc case should have free screws for this stuff.

[​IMG]

10. SuperBobKing

SuperBobKing Racer

You can see those screws attached in the images that he posted.

11. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Hardcore Simmer

You have to search something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Brace-G...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00VC34NPM

If you want you can build a similar one by yourself with meccano parts (more simple model of course) or 3D printer...

St3fan and Quffy like this.
  12. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

13. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I found these two:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPU-Cooler-...table-Stand-/281484091804?hash=item4189c2619c
    http://www.moddiy.com/products/CPU-Cooler-&-Graphics-Cards-Weight-Support-Adjustable-Stand.html

I think I could just run a Home Depot trip and make one myself :)

DaVeX↯ likes this.
  14. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Hardcore Simmer

15. Wow, that graphics card must be heavy if it has bent out of shape :eek:

16. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

With rear facing pci-e connectors on a card, there are also some tricks you can do with case wire routing, so that some of it's weight is supported by the 2 pci-e cables coming from top. This is done after plugging the card, by fixing them with brackets/zip ties, and keeping them short enough to pull the card a bit.

17. kikie

kikie Simracer

Bought the card, saw the problem and took action immediatly.

[​IMG]

18. Berry

Berry Alien

I no longer have a huge GPU, but I used to have a AMD Radeon HD5870, which was pretty big, and so I used the 6/8-pin connectors to support the card at the end, just made the wiremanagement tighter in the back of case, adding tension to the cable and pulling the card up.:)
    Sorry that you've had to go through this, a friend of mine's MSI GTX 970 had serious issues, the PCB actually cracked near the GPU core, really silly stuff, especially considering how much money these things cost.

19. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

On long cards I normally use the power connectors to create some tension and lift the card with them. This can be accomplished by tying them to somewhere inside the case where they can lift the video card. Alternatively you can use a tie-wrap (or velcro strip, or whatever) to tie the end of the video card to the HD cage, tensioning it a bit so that its not hanging on the PCIe connection. This way there is no need to have a foreign piece (wood) inside your case which I wouldn't really call an elegant solution.

20. speedbee

speedbee Hardcore Simmer

Well. You hate ASUS. I love it. You say avoid it, I say get it!

I have an asus p8z77-v mobo, and a asus directCU2 670GTX. A huge card with a huge cooler. And a really badass backplate. It's mounted inside an corsair 600t. I have had 0 problems with the card, or my system.
    And I have NOT been careful with it, and have not in any way babysitted my system. I always throw my legs on top of the case, quite roughly. I push it around without lifting it. When I carry the case I don't pay attention to where I hold it. I don't care about what way I orient it when transporting. I never secure my GPU additionally when carrying it around. I dropped my system. I spilled water INTO the case 2 times now. And quite a lot of it. A whole glass' worth. My GPU got very wet, while turned on. I don't think I've cleaned the insides yet. I sometimes vacuum the filters. I frequently carry my PC around. And i've never ever had a single problem. The only thing that broke was the top fan, and that was because of the water.

So my experience with ASUS was really good. Super quiet, super cool, super reliable GPU.

21. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

Well just look at the fury's.
    HBM will change the lenght to a good way and problems like yours are gone.
    And yes i am waiting for the Nano oder Fury X, because i need such a small gpu :)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk