1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Mod Downloads to be Closed Indefinitely. (READ LAST REPLY)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by garyjpaterson, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Please permit us to know better as we run this thing. You don't get to see the threads that are deleted or the personal messages of complains or whatever. Also I guess you'll agree that it is rather pointless to ask for "examples" as that means that we should forget any privacy issues of emails, personal messages and so on, just to satisfy your curiosity or frustration about the matter (perfectly understandable)

At least let's keep the discussion logical. Also go back and check my last post about the whole matter, as I believe explains quite a bit.

LHMGTR, Xez, Epistolarius and 3 others like this.
  2. kevin.maatman

kevin.maatman Staff Member KS Dev Team

I invite you to re-read post #523 posted by Aristotelis. If that's not clear enough then there's no much more to do here.

3. TDS

TDS Alien

which hasn't been an issue;... until now.
    Move on mate seriously

/thread indeed

4. Jim Layhee

Jim Layhee Simracer

I'm thinking its not the ripped model problem, which was well in hand, but modders using companies IP without permission or even credit. Porsche and F1 are often touted as the bad guys in this area but it's possible other car, track or race companies are beginning to wake up to a perceived problem. This is pure conjecture .

.Repa24 and TDS like this.
  5. pika4u

pika4u Hardcore Simmer

Speaking about timing i have a proposal.
    What about a modding section with only FICTIONAL ORIGINAL content?
    This could lead the how to session to be a booster to bring console sales to the next level thanks to always new original content officially released, quality is mandatory of course.

Now imagine original championships, cars, tracks, whatever you like through years. Years.

Modders will have their name known and the right praise for their jobs.

Kunos will have free for all new content without hassle. Someone other will make the next black cat county.

This will make the buyers happy.

The modding section would become a lab where modders can learn and teach.
    Gran Turismo have its own fictional prototype became reality. Who knows...

Of course Kunos shoudn't stop with laser scanned tracks and real cars.

We could have the best of both world and Kunos could have another record after the first laser scanned nurburgring and the first real sim on console.

Jim Layhee likes this.
  6. Turk

Turk Alien

What makes you think it hasn't been an issue?

7. xystof

xystof Hardcore Simmer

Fair enough for me. Aris' honesty changed my mind (especially paragraph about local Italian law).

Glaurung likes this.
  8. 1.

I'll stop arguing because there's no good foreseeable outcome, but I'll end on the note that these arguments completely contradict each other...

Because there hasn't been an influx of ripped content on the forums (and when there was quite a while ago, the community was pretty well on top of it and notified the devs fairly quickly). That said, if there has, in fact, been an influx that we're unaware of - deleted before we were able to see them - (assuming that Kunos has worked hard to find these rips instead of previously letting them go for however long it took the community to find out - in the case of the Koenigsegg One:1 rip, months), I apologize.

Considering that the sound modding, screenshot, and video forums are all still open, I'd be surprised if that was the case (if it is, then the aforementioned forums should have been/should be closed).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  9. Wow, how long is this thread going to go on for! :confused: Can't quite believe how large this thread got in such short time... Pretty gutting to think this thread has gained more views in just a couple days than my Transit thread ever had in over half a year! :eek::p

Bill Wiskins likes this.
  10. RGMG888

RGMG888 Rookie

Hi,

I've just read (All ...)the above thread, I usually don't post any... However, I've been supporting AC since the early stage and really appreciate all the good work done by all those talented modders.
    After 26 pages of this, i just think this thread is beginning to look like a complete and ridiculous nonsense, and a massive waste of (good) time use ...
    I really mean no offense, I'm a "lambda" user, part of the "massive non usually talking AC community" and i don't really see the point here.
    I understand that modding support is still provided by the devs, some modders are already (positively) moving on and adapt to this new rule, and we (basic lambda AC user community) know that, somewhere, there is a place where we will be able to upload and download our favorite modds..! (lots of us are probably already using RD, from time to time, to this end)
    You guys have lost your favourite place to talk of your work or whatever else, fine ! not a big deal ! you'll find a new one, for sure ....! and everybody will read you again ;-) with a real pleasure, i can assure you ...!

So please, for us, the "massive" "non talking - not break apart by the new forum rule - and also fundamental part of the AC community", please, go back to reason, stop creating problems where there is not. Accept the simple reason to this new rule, as given by the devs, as it is, and try to be constructive then ...

KS , Keep up the good work and thank you !
    All Modders , Keep up the good work and thank you !

Cheers

( and accept my apologies if my english is not fluent.)

11. Robbiexsstar

Robbiexsstar Hardcore Simmer

Good speech but can I say only one thing: KS company is in Italy since its foundation (8 years?) and only today in 2016 you note italian set of rules?

I don't thing you are "bad guys", but you could be honest say just "We appreciate modders and their creation and we say thank you for your passion, but we have to change forum policy about modding. We don't want KS could link with 3d ripper from third part software".

Modding is always "over the line" if you realize a 3d car or a track without owner's authorization.
    Ripped content break two times copyright laws, but unauthorized modding break copyrights law too.

Only your DLC are legal and you that think from a lot of years, but you never tought to close modding sections before today.

12. Monsieur_Whippy

Monsieur_Whippy Simracer

I have huge respect for you all.

Just last week I paid money for the latest DLC because I want to support AC.
    I really like where it's going now vs a year or so back.
    I've only driven the r34 and 350z for 2 mins. I bought them just to put money in your pockets.

I've started some WIP thread here because AC seems *the* place to enjoy modded content with people.
    I've not done that for many years but I wanted to share and contribute here because I think AC is pretty awesome.

My actions speak louder than my words.

So surely you can accept my upset at this change, and the ambiguity hasn't helped me understand at all.
    Why not email all users explaining it? I actually logged on today and thought my profile was broken and only happened to stumble on this thread!

If you look around it's clear this change to the forums was misjudged.

The reasons, or clarification, have now been provided and people generally seem happy now.

If you're unwilling to accept a fun dig about your mishandling of this from someone who genuinely does care and supports you, but not unquestionably, then that is pretty sad :(

Do what you feel is right by your faithful customer :)

13. pika4u

pika4u Hardcore Simmer

Stop now.
    This will only brings worst things.
    Nobody force Kunos to keep AC moddable.
    I will keep supporting modders with donations, likes, videos and so on.
    But if this thread will piss out devs and lock AC then i won't. Because i will stay with AC without mods.

Modders, you have to open a new thread to decide how and where go on with your releases and then let the user know. It's simply as this.

If things will change we will talk about it.

LeDude83 likes this.
  14. you mean we should have used the EXACT same words?

Because this was the original message we posted:

"We love the creativity and high quality achieved by some modders. However, the same section was targeted by some users that, careless of our rules and ethics, advertise contents ripped from other copyrighted software, making conversion without any authorization by the original creator and basically without any respect towards those modders that make their work from scratch."

Which to me.. looks EXACTLY what you wanted us to say! How ironic.

20 years and counting my friend.. some things, never change.

xystof, Fat-Alfie and LeDude83 like this.
  15. thank you for buying the software we produce. For your money you get a game in return... but no pass for being an asshat on our forums.

Written text very easily lend to be misinterpreted and your "fun digs" in a thread where people are mostly pissed (and rightfully so) are very easy to misjudge for something else.. with the inevitable consequence, I am sure you can be smarter than that.

mrk1001 and [RRRV] JuggernAlz like this.
  16. Zrymer

Zrymer Gamer

Post #523 made the reasons clear as pure water. Indeed, as a company, you need to make preventive actions. Probably there's a lot of malicious companies *F1 cough* that pursues other small companies in order to make an extra cash (or just by sheer hate or pleasure, who knows?) by suing them.

If I was Kunos I would do the same.

17. Maxidyne

Maxidyne Hardcore Simmer

@Lord Kunos: thank you for the clear explanation. I understand the situation completely now. Legal stuff, same in my country with certain things.

But I have one question: people like @Patrik Marek and others who created scratch made mods, could those threads stay open? I think input for them is crucial from others who are offering there help (technical, skinning, sound etc) will be a great loss for them. Also the positive responses on a mod keeps the creator pushing forward I think, it's nice to hear people are grateful for what you are creating. I helped out with the Sport quattro project from @pankykapus, this was a great time for me. It also created a friendship between us. Still very proud to see my name in the special thanks!

Anyway; wandering of here. Is it also a legal problem to host scratch made mods? (copyright of the modded car etc)

18. Robbiexsstar

Robbiexsstar Hardcore Simmer

We became older years by years (you are older than me) but also you never change.

Don't quote a piece of my post, but quote all.

I try to summarize (age is not a good fellow for you): You say the problem is 3d ripped mod, but all modding world have same problems. So where are you until today when a lot of people create from scratch anautorized mod? Why only convertion mod are now a problem and not anautorized mod?
    If I reproduce a Ferrari without autorization I break copyright laws also if I start from scratch and also if I don't sell my mod.

We talking about this thinks from years, not from today.

P.S. Are your mail box full or are you too busy too insult your buyers on public? ;)

LHMGTR likes this.
  19. .Repa24

.Repa24 Hardcore Simmer

Everything has a copyright. The logos on the cars, the badge "nissan", the brakes, the car itself...
    Actually, any mod is illegal because usually the modders don't have the permission of all the sponsors for example. Should be the same reason why there are no real sponsors on kunos tracks (+ probably financial stuff). We are in a deeep grey area here, which didn't get too much attention for 15 years now (but: see Porsche + F1 for example, they react very sensitive to mods)

LHMGTR and Maxidyne like this.
  20. TTM

TTM Alien

I hope that community will calm down now when we know reason for this case... We still can mod AC also in the future and do what we want to do for game but we have to found other way to show etc our unfinished projects than this forum.

We had great time here, but look forward, not backward.. Life is full of new possibilities if you keep your eyes and mind open... :D

pankykapus and TDS like this.