1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Multiplayer vs AI CPU Performance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Leonardo Ratafia, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Hi, i was wondering, due to both of my current systems, if FPS performance hit would be less when online arrives or it would be like racing with AI.
    more simple:

AI with 10 drivers is around 30 FPS less than hotlapping
    Would it be the same with 10 MP drivers ?

thanks for sharing you thoughts

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer Multiplayer CPU Overload Mar 17, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Very high CPU usage in Multiplayer Jan 21, 2019
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Cpu usage problem in multiplayer (fps problem too) Nov 12, 2015
    Audio Bugs & Issues Multiplayer soundproblems (cpu occupancy related) Aug 22, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues AC is over-demanding CPU especially in Multiplayer May 15, 2014
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Why is multiplayer using 100% of my CPU? May 13, 2014
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues [TOO MANY CLIENTS!] Multiplayer crashed AC (got 95% cpu warning) May 9, 2014
    ACC Multiplayer Multiplayer disconnected Apr 20, 2024
    Bug reports Lap 0 Laptime is way off! Multiplayer Server Mar 17, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Unplanned multiplayer server outage Mar 13, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Multiplayer disconnected Dec 15, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Multiplayer disconnected Dec 8, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Render Thread 1 crashed whilst spectating multiplayer as server admin Sep 28, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer can't connect do multiplayer , no statistics in single player too Jul 29, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Multiplayer - An Error Occurred. Please Try Again Jul 13, 2023

3. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Most likely it wont be worse performance wise the AI as the CPU needs less calculations but really hard to say until it comes how its implemented. If your currently cpu bottle-necked with lots of AI this most likely will be reduced with multi code but not necessarily and the only people that would know are the devs atm and hopefully us in a build or 2.

Queequeg likes this.
  4. TCLF

TCLF Alien

edit: I didn't read at all, XD

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I think the op is more talking about performance impact of multi cars vs ai cars, not exactly on the netcode itself or when and if multi gets added.

6. TCLF

TCLF Alien

ups, indeed. Just came home and only read the title

7. TCLF

TCLF Alien

answer to op: I guess (not sure) that mp is less heavy since it's only position updates and collisions, and ai calculates physics as well as collisions and the ai themself

Rui Santos likes this.
  8. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Hardcore Simmer

For sure MP will have much less impact on CPU performance, GPU performance will remain the same i think...

9. Festa_PWR

Festa_PWR Alien

I guess it would all depends on how the net code is written and how it deals with physics of others players on the 'server' pc.

10. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

If I remember correctly, the AI uses actual physics instead of physics fudged up and simplified in the name of performance. So I expect there would be a huge FPS increase in multiplayer, since your CPU only has to focus on your singular car instead of yours and everyone else's. At that point, any performance issues are most likely down to your GPU.

11. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Than its mostly like Hotlapping (ok a bit less for sure).

Rui Santos likes this.
  12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Hardcore Simmer

For sure :D

Shaddix likes this.
  13. Marcelo

Marcelo Rookie

Unfortunately, I think we will not have MP.

I change all these cars presented in recent constructions for MP, but it is still unknown ...

14. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The one thing that makes me wonder if there will be a performance boost is because in a replay the performance is the same as in a replay with ai. I would have thought a replay was just running a recorded path for the AI but if the performance is the same, they must use the recorded points but still use regular full physics model also to still drive the cars.

Kind of makes sense as recording each cars movement throughout a replay would be a waste of time, better just to record inputs and positions then let the path drive the car with the actual physics.

So when it comes to multi, the netcode will take away the actual AI part of code as this is now run by the server but each car will still need to run a full physics simulation on each users computer to show realistic car behaviour. This can be simplified more for multi possibly but more work and I think each build performance has got better already so may not be needed but would help slower systems.

Collisions are still the biggest issue in AI and these can grind a system to a hault, as the AI code freaks out it seems. This may be better in multi not in terms of less collisions but it doesnt need the cpu to work out how the ai should deal with collisions. The positional data and inputs are still being sent by each player to the server not needing to be recalculated by the cpu dealing with the effects of the collisions.

My current guess is multi will be the same as playing a replay of an ai race, unless further physics optimizations are made for multi cars and replays which is always a possibility.

15. Aceking

Aceking Racer

In rFactor i sometimes run my dedicated server using up to 36 AI to run with a few friends and my frame rates were a little better than similar numbers of all human drivers.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Simracer

it would depend on car skins, is the game going to substitute or dl individual skins? number of models, limited makes or ffa racing? drawn and a big chunk how the netcode handles stuff, too many unknown unknowns, guesses it should run slightly better all things even, less ai to figure out etc less overhead free to draw cars doing lighting etc. but hard to guestimate until we have mp to contrast to.

17. Aceking

Aceking Racer

In rFactor if you didn't have another driver's car skin then the game would use the default skin. You could use either high-res or lower-res skins depending on your desires and system specs but in any case you needed to manually find and download/install those driver's skins in order to see them in your game. So, hopefully there will be an option to auto-download/install extra driver's skins for those you don't already have!