1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Multiple Directories for Tracks & Cars

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ALB123, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

It would be fantastic if in the Options > General section, perhaps, there were settings called "Additional Location for Tracks" and "Additional Location for Cars". That way we could add an additional storage location for where we store mod tracks and cars.

My C:/ is a 256gb SSD drive. My Asseto Corsa folder is 140gb counting ALL files/directories for the game. Because of other software on my laptop, I am down to 15gb free on my system drive. Now, I happen to have a 2nd 256gb SSD in this laptop that is my F:/ drive. It would be great if I could tell Assetto Corsa to also look for cars in a folder called F:/Assetto_Corsa/Cars and look for tracks in F:/Assetto_Corsa/Tracks in addition to the default locations.

Vel and Epistolarius like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay AI - Unusable on multiple tracks Jan 30, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Multiple instances on same computer Dec 31, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error occurs at any time during the race [multiple failure points - system instability] Oct 8, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Crash [multiple failure points - system instability] Oct 5, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error [multiple failure points - system instability] Aug 21, 2022
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards SA & multiple drivers Dec 19, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer Multiple drivers get drive through penalties on start for unknown reason Dec 13, 2021
    ACC User Interface Multiple Seasons May 5, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer Setup server with multiple tracks Feb 22, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Multiple questions, and I did my search :) Dec 21, 2020
    ACC Gameplay [SUGGESTION] able to run and save multiple championships Dec 19, 2020
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Multiple crashes during league race... my fault? Nov 5, 2020
    Physics Bugs & Issues Multiple crashes during league race... was it my fault? Nov 5, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Launch AC with Multiple Settings Sep 23, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Multiple Race and Qualifying Sessions no longer work after 1.5.6 Sep 20, 2020

3. Horus

Horus Alien

4. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

yeah it would be useful, its odd that there are these folders:
    D:\Documents\Assetto Corsa\content\cars
    D:\Documents\Assetto Corsa\content\tracks

in your AC profile folder but they dont work :/ would be ideal as most people dont have their "documents" folder on their SSD so would solve the problem

Vel, ALB123 and Horus like this.
  5. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

I've moved my AC cars folder to my 1.5TB drive and symlinked it back to the original location...

I do this with a lot of things since I have a small 120GB SSD for OS.

nanucq and ears1991 like this.
  6. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

yeah i did something similar, originally had whole ac install on a hdd but i was getting hiccups when driving sometimes and suspected it was to do with the game loading track assets from the hdd, so moved game to ssd and symlinked cars folder to hdd, havent seen a hiccup since so seems worthwhile :)

7. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Hmm...I've never done symbolic links with Windows - but I have set them up in FTP servers in the past. So I know what you mean... Is this the command I type in?

mklink /J C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars F:\Assetto_Corsa_Stuff\Downloaded Cars\

Will that allow me to keep cars in the F:\ folder but still get seen by Assetto Corsa? Will I have a problem because of the spaces in "Program Files (x86)"?

8. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

Yes, however the software I linked to adds a menu to your context menu, so you don't need to type anything.... just right click "Pick link source" then right click where you want to create symlink and then Drop Link as 'Symbolic Link'.

ALB123 likes this.
  9. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

doh! I didn't even realize that you put a link in your message. I just found it by mousing over "symlinked". I'll check that out. Thanks!

10. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

lol yeah they should really be highlighted in a slightly different way to normal text. Good luck with the symlinks.

11. nanucq

nanucq Racer

I have used "Link Shell Extension" for years and still do it with AC. Great software that make symbolic links easy. ;)

ALB123 and Rift Racer like this.
  12. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

@davegreengo or @nanucq -- Since you both use Link Shell Extension, I'm sure one of you could answer this question. God, I feel like an idiot having to ask this.

I want to put modded cars in F:\Assetto_Corsa_Stuff\Cars_2 because I'm running out of space on C:\

In Windows Explorer, do I right-click on the F:\ folder or the C:\ folder of cars and choose "Pick Link Source" and then do I right-click on the F:\ folder or the C:\ folder and select "Drop As... > Symbolic Link"?

I don't know which way to do it. Select the folder that is recognized by Assetto Corsa first (as the Pick Link Source) or do I choose the folder on my 2nd SSD where I'm going to store mod cars (as the Pick Link Source)? And then based on whichever one is the Pick Link Source, obviously the next one would be the Drop As...Symbolic Link.

I don't know why I'm being so dense about this. I seriously can't figure out which way to do it...and I feel like a complete idiot. :(

13. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

You "Pick link source" from your large F drive.... and you "Drop As" onto your original C drive where the AC cars folder is.

So, "pick link source" on storage of mod cars, "Drop As" in original Assetto recognized folder.

ears1991 likes this.
  14. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Thank you. Ugh...I don't know what's wrong with me these days.

15. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

No worries man :)

16. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Hmm.. It's not working. I right-clicked on the folder F:\Assetto_Corsa_Stuff\Cars in Windows Explorer and chose "Pick Link Source". Then I navigated to C:\...\assettocorsa\content\cars and right-clicked on that cars folder and selected Drop As > Symbolic Link

I saw that it created a folder in C:\...\assettocorsa\content\cars called "Cars" and it has that little shortcut arrow in the lower-left corner. If I double-click on that folder that just got created by Link Shell Extension in does bring me right into that Cars folder on my F:\ which is exactly what I want. So, I moved a few folders of mod cars from C:\ to F:\ and started Assetto Corsa. They don't show up in my list of available cars to drive. :(

17. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

I figured it out. Instead of right-clicking the root folder on my F;\ drive and selecting Pick Link Source, I highlighted all the mod cars folders that are IN that F:\cars folder. That way, when I went to the default \content\cars location and Drop As Symbolic Link it created a folder for each of those cars with the shortcut link on the folder icon. Now, when I start up Assetto Corsa is sees all the mod cars that I moved to that F:\ folder.

Thank you for all of your help @davegreengo! I'm sorry to have been such a pain in the butt. This is going to help me out so much. :D :cool:

18. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

No probs, you could have / can just moved the Assetto Corsa 'cars' folder to your F:\ drive then symlinked it back to the original location with one symlink.

Then every time you add a new mod to the folder it will automatically be added without you having to create another symlink.

19. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Ahhh! That makes a lot more sense than having a 100+ shortcuts. :eek: I only did 4 car folders...so I'll just delete the symlinks and move those 4 folders back into the default C:\ folder. Then I'll move the entire folder over to F:\ and Symlink it back to the original location. Thanks for that suggestion!! :cool: :D :cool: :D