1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

New Top Gear discussion (s23)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Poguinhas, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I watched the episode 3 of the new Top Gear, and to me it was way better than the first two episodes, mainly because it almost didn't feature Chris Evans. I think that if they manage to convince Chris to be less annoying, or take him out of the show altogether (which is a bit optimistic), we can have a really good show. And when The Grand Tour finally makes it's debut, we could have two very good car shows.

So what's your guys' opinion on it?

Guido Trampe likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals ACC stopped accepting gear up control when driving Jul 25, 2021
    ACC Physics Engine stopping ang gearshift grinding Sep 16, 2018
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Crash to Desktop on Launch - UNPLUG T500 GEAR SHIFTER and DETECT DEVICE Sep 12, 2018
    Chit Chat Room A damaged gearbox can be repaired during pit stop? Nov 26, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Top Gear S24 Apr 3, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Porsche 911 Hybrid 2015 stop hybrid systems powering in 1st/2nd gear? Nov 27, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Top Gear Test Track vs Eboladrome Nov 26, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Top Gear Speedweek Special with Chris Harris Oct 9, 2016
    Chit Chat Room The Grand Tour - New Top Gear starts Nov 18th Sep 16, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Chris Harris Drives: Bentley Continental GT3 at Spa (TopGear) Aug 26, 2016
    Chit Chat Room New top gear Chris Harris in an Alfa Giulia Aug 19, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Pagani Huayra - Top Gear tyres + Understeer Feb 24, 2016
    Tracks modding Top Gear Track? Feb 19, 2016
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Can you stop the ai from changing the final gear ratio Nov 27, 2015
    Tracks modding .fbx files for top gear test track Aug 19, 2015

3. rd.king

rd.king Hardcore Simmer

Did that title say discussion or disgusting.
    The only thing I've enjoyed is Sabina Schmitt's unbridled enthusiasm, that woman knows how to enjoy herself.

4. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

i seriously wish chris harris and the black guy become the main hosts, they clearly gel together and due to their youtube careers those two have the most experience talking about cars in front of a camera, they also have experience meaning they know what works and what doesnt.

Tim Meuris and Seria17hri11er like this.
  5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Ive only watched the first 2 episodes and also think extra gear is better then the main show as Chris Evans doesnt appear much. Episode 2 I actually needed 2 sittings to watch the episode as it was such a drag.

I dont remember ever watching the old top gear wondering when it would end, the time seemed to fly watching that but now it seems like the show takes forever.

6. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

I find it interesting to see how many people watched every episode up until now just to go on the internet and bash it at every oportunity.

When I keep in mind that the new Top Gear will never be the same as the old one, and probably never as good, still I see some potential for it to become a good new show. Apart from Evans, I liked every host. And let's not forget that for the first season of the last top gear era they had a fat bloke whose only purpose was to announce cars you could buy for cheap, only later James May joined them and we had the trio we know. So everything needs it's time to settle and reach it's potential.
    The problem is when you watch it expecting to see the exact same show that Clarkson, May and Hammond used to make, and trying to replicate that will never work, as demonstrated by Evans' ridiculous attempts at impersonating Jeremy.

As for The Grand Tour, I suspect it won't be like their Top Gear as well, but that can be a good thing, maybe now that they're motivated to find a new formula we can have newer and maybe even better content than before.

7. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I got as far as chris evans running around joey from friends in episode 1 introduction... skipped ahead beyond the intro (catch up tv) got as far as them adding guns to cars, turned it off and havent given it a look since.

8. finepot

finepot Racer

i've only seen the first 2 episodes so far, and for me evans ruins it. plus idk how i feel about the reasonably priced car being a rallycar. most stars could barely handle the old street cars lol.
    if evans got removed or left i feel the show could be close to the old top gear.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  9. Berry

Berry Alien

Rory Reid was somewhat too enthusiastic and a bit biased in his review of the Focus RS, while the Chris Harris feature was short.It isn't a bad show, nowhere near as bad as people make it to be, but honestly, I'm part of the people who can't really suffer that cringey performance of Matt and C.Evans, and this is coming from someone who enjoyed Matt's performance in Friends very much, but these guys personalities do not fit this show in the slightest...

If I'm to be honest, the show would've had great success if they snatched some of the best british journalists and kept it somewhat local, this multi-nationality thing makes it feel even more fake...
    I'll just say the names: Chris Harris, Jethro Bovingdon, Marino Franchitti and Tiff Needel, all very good journalists, with lots of experience and all of them VERY good drivers, which in a car show is very important imho... :p

10. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Evans is a marmite character, I like him, but I can understand how he polarizes an audience. That said although the haters get on his back people do watch and listen to his shows, he has nearly 10m listeners on radio now...

Top Gear with CMH wasn't that great for the first couple of series, 6m total viewers for Evans isn't bad it's actually more than watched Clarkson's last series irc... I suspect Evans will look at this series as a work in progress and come back next year with changes.

11. Xez

Xez Simracer

Chris Evans is as appealing as a warm cup of %$#*. :eek:

i.e. Not appealing at all.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  12. It will never be as good as the old Top Gear. Clarkson, May and Hammond worked perfectly together, and I really can't see that ever happening again.

13. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Ive heard that argument co many times but its just not a good reason. Look at the crowd difference, the budget difference and general production value, it is eons away from what it was. So that whole "its crap from it takes time" doesnt work.

I'll admit i had a lot of laughs in top gear this week especially in extra gear, Chris H and Rory have a fantastic chemistry together and they can describe the cars in a way that flows correctly, Chris E sort of forces it out of him so it all seems quite unnatural hence why people dont like him.

Chemistry is the best thing for the show and its why so many people are saying that extra gear is better because it all feels so natural without the silly one liners which dont flow so well with Chris E for whatever reason.

All they need now is someone to gel perfectly with both Chris H and Rory, once they have that i think they have their perfect cast

14. Tigerteeth

Tigerteeth Simracer

I guess the BBC will eventually figure out what works and go with that. This feels very much like a trial period where different presenters and program formats are tested to see what becomes popular.

I'd like to see the lesser known presenters take the reigns and build up the program around them. A new start with new faces and fresh ideas may help the beeb draw back some of the audience instead of sticking with something that's overly familiar.

Be brave and bold BBC!

15. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

It's an OK show but it would be better with less Chris Evans and more of the other hosts. Episode 3 was much better for that reason.

It'll take time for the new hosts to gel but I don't think Top Gear will be as effortlessly funny as the Clarkson, Hammond, May days... the 3 of them annoyed one another but were best mates at the same time, which made for great viewing.

Chris Evans needs to find a better script writer, his show just isn't as funny as the old one. He's obviously put a lot of time and effort into making the show, it was probably the toughest gig on TV at the moment and the critics were always going to hate the show. But don't forget, they were always savaging the old show and calling for the BBC to axe it.

Hopefully series two will be better, the photography and production values are still fantastic.

Guido Trampe likes this.
  16. finepot

finepot Racer

i didn't say it would be as good, i just said it could be closer :p i never expected the new to be as good as the old since Clarkson punched that guy haha

17. grandepunto

grandepunto Simracer

I must admit that I watched all three episodes till now. Partly because I just loved the old Topgear and partly because I wanted to see what Sabine Schmitz and Chris Harris could do. Sabine's first appearance was awfull but I blame that on that ridiculous topic they made her do. With the jets and topgun wannabes. Last episode with the R8 was much better except for that certain excuse of a co-host she had to drag along. Chris Harris finally appeared and did what he is used to do on Youtube but they edited it way too short and it felt like it ended without a finish. I think if they gave them a longer item of say 15-20 minutes it could work. Joey from friends can do the presenting. He is doing better than I expected.
    So far I miss the atmosphere in the items. When Hammond, JC and or captain Slow did it, it always felt like they had an adventure and when they acted that they loved the car they adventured in I always almost believed it. When the new team went to that bar in South Africa nothing happened.
    The camerawork is still the best I've ever seen and the cars great. But if they can't get their act together the car manufacturers won't be so keen on lending out their expensive cars and London won't allow to lock down half the city for a shoot anymore. And then they will end up as a british version of RTL Autowereld. A dutch car tv "show" where local importers and car dealers plug their mediocre goods. That's where they are heading right now.

I hope the Amazon show will be available on bluray soon in Holland or pay per view. I expect it will be great.

Edit: I can't see Extra gear in Holland so maybe that is better than the main show.

18. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

When top gear 1st came back with the new format it was Clarkson, Hammond and some other bloke, do you remember him? No? No one else does either, the chemistry of the last 3 didn't come overnight and even when it did there were still some bad episodes - nostalgia is not what it used to be ;)

Latest one was better, less Evans but the VT peices with him still annoyed, he sounds like he's trying to talk like Clarkson would

Mogster likes this.
  19. St3fan

St3fan Alien

IMO Jason Dawe was given way too much role for the inside dealership thing. If people expect Top Gear to be an entertainment show, he's doing the most boring part. Discarding inside dealership part is IMO one of the best decisions made by Top Gear since 2002 launch.

I think the new show feels good even from Episode 1. I don't like Chris Evans either because I think he's trying too hard. But he really isn't that bad. The problem IMO is that everybody including Chris Evans himself expects Clarkson-ness in him. I think it will be best for everybody, especially Chris Evans, to just forget about Clarkson-ness in Top Gear and move on.

nivadepi likes this.
  20. Every single one of the "special" episodes that Clarkson/Hammond/May made were epic. You know the ones.....abroad in three different cars, and having fun. That is never going to happen again. Those three had such a wonderful chemistry between them. I couldn't care less about Top Gear since they departed.

21. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

CHM top gear was elitist, chauvinist, and filled with dust covered humor. The new approach is pathetic, empty hearted, clonery. Full of fowl resemblance and ill motivated creativity.
    I'd wish for something new.

bondyboy likes this.