1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Oculus Rift CV1 vs HTC Vive for AC - What is the best?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ANiMESoKAR, May 22, 2016.

1. I'm considering buying Oculus but I'm not sure is my GTX 980 Ti capable of running good quality VR? I'm a bit sceptical about VR and looking for honest opinion.

How much heavier is VR when compared to triple screen 1080p?

sherpa25 likes this.
  2. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

According to NVIDIA's GTX1080 White Paper (see pgs. 26 and 44 ), the graphics demand is closer to 4K #. VR ~ 1680 * 3024 (for both eyes) = 5MP * 90Hz = 457MP/s vice triple's 1920*3*1080*60Hz=373 MP/s. That comes out to 23% more demanding (assuming 60 Hz for 1080p gaming). I run it with a 1070, which is comparable to your GPU, and it's a good experience at 1.7 pixel density and can get 90Hz. Some people don't mind running it at 45 Hz w/ more eye candy. You should demo (or buy from a place w/ a good return policy) a unit before buying just to make sure it's for you. The image quality vs. immersion is a trade off that is very personal to people--the latter is going to take some time to notice.

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  3. I'm running my triples at +100 fps all the time regardless of my 60Hz monitors so am I right 90Hz VR shouldn't be much heavier than that?

I've tried only two "VR" helmets (crappy Samsung Gear and Oculus DK2 running 360 camera footage) and both of these had really terrible image quality. Unfortunately I don't know a single place where to try and if I buy one, I think I'm gonna buy some "Almost brand new. Wasn't my thing"-unit 2nd hand. There seems to be quite a lot of those on the market... Otherwise the price tag is just way too ridiculous.

4. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

It depends. It's not 1:1 comparison due a majority of AC VR users seem to increase the pixel density (PD) beyond the 1.0 default. 1.5 PD seems to be the minimum (I personally couldn't play at 1.0 PD). This essentially affects the clarity (in focus) of the image. The PD will tax the GPU to the point where you'll have to make compromises on the eye candy. The problem is exacerbated further by the amount of cars you have on the grid and sunset/sunrise (increases shadow size) vs. noon time of day. To give you an example, if I turn post processing on (lowest setting possible) w/ my current settings, I cannot maintain a consistent 90Hz with a 24 car MP grid. I suggest you take a look at the GTX 1080Ti thread to see what settings those guys are running. This would give you an idea.

5. mms

mms Alien

I don't think it's heavier than triple 1080, the only thing is you'll need the constant 90FPS (or half of that if you're fine with ASW). If you have 90FPS now, you should be fine. Other than that it depends on what do you want to sacrifice, with lower settings the 980Ti should be more than enough (I had a 970 before getting the 1070, and without PP it was fine for me).

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Your hardware should run VR decent - probably not with a full grid in AC though. My GTX 980Ti does pretty good so long as I don't crank the graphic details too high and I'm on Win7 so ASW won't help me out.

7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

There's a thread in the Oculus forums regarding PD where 1.4 seems to be the sweet spot - both in terms of BOP and image benefits; it's said to have something to do with the pixel count but, they provide direct capture comparisons with various settings.

Cote Dazur, colombianomd and mms like this.
  8. KWILD

KWILD Gamer

In fact, for my experience with 1080 and i5 4670k@4,4G it's better to use AAx8, turn off PP completely an PD at 1,4 (over 1,4 you got a kind of "color aliasing" an negligible clarity despite the GPU power used).
    Take in mind also that to reduce microstutters you need to leave a 20/30% of headroom especially with modded tracks and cars and with full 24 grids.

colombianomd likes this.
  9. I bite the bullet and bought myself a brand new ticket into band wagon where the VR Mafia keeps vandalizing gaming world.

Tundra, mms and hazardic like this.
  10. sherpa25

sherpa25 Hardcore Simmer

With the same 980Ti? I'd like to see your feedback if its going to run fairly fine.

11. colombianomd

colombianomd Racer

I just upgraded to a 1080 Ti from a 1070 (similar to you 980ti) and it should run fine as long as you don't mind turning off post processing ...the issue with that is that you can't see brake lights (very faint on most cars). Supposedly there's a fix on the way, but we will see about that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sherpa25 likes this.
  12. sherpa25

sherpa25 Hardcore Simmer

That's great to hear. I think I saw a post of someone (sorry, forgot) in the CV1 thread sharing a modified .ini file that improved on the brake lights.... I have to search again for it.

13. Sure. If I haven't posted within 2 weeks, remind me please.. :)

sherpa25 likes this.
  14. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

15. Mogster

Mogster Alien

16. detoit

detoit Racer

That was me who made a pp .ini file for just brake lights. (VR_brakelights.ini)

Kunos says the subject is fixed, in fact that's the thread you'll find the ini file which I updated last weekend for someone - it's not fixed if you don't run a pp filter. But the subject is done from my understanding (status fixed).

However, since going to openVR I can run pp filter "default" on "normal/medium" without dipping below 90fps with 18 cars on track. This is with environment/shadows on max, AAx4, supersampling 1.4, reflections low, freq ultra and mirror on high.

sherpa25 likes this.
  17. KWILD

KWILD Gamer

Do you are using openVR with CV1?
    Do you got better perfomance than using the normal oculus engine?

http://soundcloud.com/carlogosamo

18. detoit

detoit Racer

No, I was lucky enough to be loaned both a oculus cv1 and a vive for about 3-4 weeks from work. After testing both back to back there was a clear choice for me (vive hands down). I've heard many other people write the opposite but from a technical standpoint I think it's folly. For me it's simply not even a question, especially for anything cockpit bound where you turn your head/body more than 110 degrees. So sorry - no experience with CV1 with openVR as that happened AFTER I gave the CV1 back.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Nathan

19. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

And you were saying.... what's your job?? :)

chksix likes this.
  20. sherpa25

sherpa25 Hardcore Simmer

Have you got some review of both, why your preference for the Vive? Sounds like you found significant advantages.