1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Open letter to kunos regarding oculus rift support

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Kaputtnik, Jan 16, 2016.

1. SimDrive

SimDrive Simracer

I wasn't referring to you lying about anything but let's leave the bickering aside. I have tried only DK2 and never had a chance to try CV1 but based on the opinions of people who have tried both, I am confident will be good. Of course I can be wrong but the point is if VR will be popular or niche and it looks it already is very popular (without even being out yet) which is an indication and a huge opportunity for any business (such as Kunos) :)

Kaputtnik likes this.
  2. Hippy

Hippy Racer

Just enough info there to keep us hanging on I suppose, without really answering any of the questions.

I finally caved and bought pcars the other day, vr support is massively better than ac. Runs pretty slowly but then ac stutters too for me, pcars uses direct mode, lfs style menu and the physics isn't vastly different. Overall, I was pretty impressed, so much so I've given up on ac for the time being

If you havent tried it recently, give it another bash, it's improved a lot

3. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

I played pCARS for a few weeks then came back to AC. Yeah the interface etc are better in pCARS but I found the driving experience to be much more immersive in AC. The light and shading especially make it feel much more like the car was outdoors.

Kaputtnik and ears1991 like this.
  4. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

IMO pcars menu is totally annoying.

nate, Louizf and LeDude83 like this.
  5. Hippy

Hippy Racer

6. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

No, they are not. He has the right to an opinion as much as anybody else, but all opinions are not created equal. Far from it.

7. demerzel

demerzel Racer

Peoples expecting and demanding vr support for this game....
    We can't beg out a rolling start for the game.

8. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

We can, however, voice our desire for it so perhaps they'll see it as something of a priority and not something nobody cares about.

9. RockMonsterTJ

RockMonsterTJ Rookie

When cv1 gets here it is going to be really hard to play games that are not supported. going back to a regular monitor when you have vr in your grasp is going to seem like going back to the stone age and my favorite game (Asetto, which suits vr perfectly) may be sitting in the steam lybrary collecting virtual dust untill suported. I really hope Kunos can get it user friendly in a reasonable amount of time from launch as I don't want to have to resort to project cars or arcade style games for my vr fix.

Kaputtnik likes this.
  10. Hippy

Hippy Racer

I had an extended session in pCars last night, about 2 hours worth of racing time.

I've got to say, overall, the experience in VR is leaps and bounds ahead of AC.

In free practice, I could almost hold a steady 75fps, but with the occasional stutter, settings turned way down but I still think it looks just as good as AC.

I did a few races in formula rookie (omg, I forgot how much I loved Oulton Park) and with a field of 16 whatever cars, my framerates took a pummeling, but no worse than AC with 6 or 7 AI cars.

Using the menu is a dream! who said they didn't like it?? It's flawless.

The in game hud is badly positioned in some cars, it's quite jarring having the position inside a part of the car if you know what I mean, it doesn't work in 3D, I found you can move them as I was closing so i'll have a bit of a play with that later.
    But just seeing your lap times, tyre temps and race position is just bliss.

As for the physics etc.
    It didn't feel quite as natural as AC, but it's easily playable, all my braking points were still valid from playing AC and there was only a couple of times where I actually thought it didn't feel right, and then it made me feel sick, similar to LFS.

VR reset camera works as it should, I can finally put my camera where I want it (AC needs you to put it exactly perpendicular to your rig)

The AI in pCars sucks compared to AC though.
    I Still want AC, I feel guilty for cheating on it but pCars is just doing it for me at the moment

Kaputtnik and ears1991 like this.
  11. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

pCARS has the interface completeness, it obviously has a better implementation of VR. There are still occasions when you need to use the mouse and take the headset off, like navigation through car setup options, but it's easily done. I believe there is no implementation of shadows in VR in pCARS and I don't know if that contributes but it always somehow seems like indoor racing in the headset, especially on a clear day with a blue sky.

After you get over the VR interface, though, it still comes down to your preference between the two games in terms of force feedback, physics etc.

My preference is for the game that, once I'm in the car, delivers an experience that better tricks my brain into thinking I'm actually in that car, on that track. That's not just about VR implementation and I only realised that recently. It's also about force feedback and maybe car phyiscs too. At the moment my preference is Assetto Corsa so I put up with the (lack of) interface.

But I still play Project CARS and I'm going to want to play it more when CV1 arrives on my doormat.

And that made me realise something - I may have to have a spell without AC in VR.

I've no doubt that SDK1.0 will support the DK2, so on my Windows 10, SDK 0.8, Project CARS partition, I can just upgrade to SDK 1.0 and plug my CV1 in. Wahoo.

But what about on my Windows 8.1, SDK 0.6, AC partition? It's unlikely that 0.6 will detect and talk to a CV1, so I may not be able to play AC in a CV1 until Kunos adopt SDK 1.0.

But am I really going to want to unplug all the VR kit for DK2 and swap it for CV1 (and vice versa) when I want to switch from one game to another?

So maybe as my 'open letter to Kunos' please can I beg for some kind of SDK 1.0 support in AC ready for when CV1s start dropping through doors? No more interface, no new functionality as such, just the same as what we have now, with support for SDK1.0?

HoiHman, Hippy and Kaputtnik like this.
  12. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

Somehow i always assumed that AC would support the Oculus CV1 from day one and i was supprised and disappointed to read it will not.

I really hope that Kunos will put supporting it on top of their to do list.

13. and where EXACTLY did you read that?
    I am curious now.

mangal, ears, Seria17hri11er and 8 others like this.
  14. naman

naman Gamer

All new hardware requires a "killer app". From the dawn of PCs and Visicalc. AC could be that app in this case and would be a perfect combination. Anyone that is considering going triple screen today is foolish. My estimate is that within 2-3 years very close to 100% of gamers will use VR technology. It was meant to be and the technology has finally arrived that can do it well. Some of us have been awaiting this since the 80's.

Kaputtnik likes this.
  15. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

After seeing so many DK2 videos of a lot of race games in general, i just assumed that almost every race game would be compatible with the Oculus Rift. I never gave it any thought that it required so much / any efford from the programmers side.

I didn't actually read it EXACTLY, but the general concensus in this thread is: It will come, but it will take some time....

If i'm wrong, i apoligize and...... now i am curious about AC day one support :)

Kaputtnik and JoeMoore like this.
  16. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Racer

Now I'm curious that your curious , this sounds like good vibes your emitting :) lol .

Kaputtnik, HoiHman and myimac like this.
  17. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I think it will be interesting to see what develops for VR with other racing-sims such as rF2 - especially being it's using DX9. It requires a lot more work to make that work with CV1 and there are other titles such as flight-sims still using DX9 that won't get VR support - at least not for the Rift.

As for AC, I have faith in Lord Kunos to deliver us VR support as stated, although - to what level remains to be seen but, I'll take what I can get . . . along with that fix for us AF users. o_O:)

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/simxperience-simcommander-issue.21146/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Kaputtnik and HoiHman like this.
  18. HoiHman

HoiHman Simracer

Somehow i agree with almost post you make Dean ;)

VR support + AF fix ............. :rolleyes:............. that would be awesome.

Dean Ogurek likes this.
  19. mms

mms Alien

He did not read that, he assUme-d it :D

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  20. CP2

CP2 Gamer

I had the chance to borrow a DK2 a few months ago. While it was definitely not a mass-market product, given the amount of tweaking and customizing I had to do to get some apps, especially AC, to work - I was sold immediately on it. I even had three or four friends over, people who aren't usually into simracing or PC gaming at all, and after 15 minutes driving around Lake Louise in AC, were ready to find whatever funds were necessary to get their own setup.

I preordered a CV1 30 minutes after it became available to do so, just based on the short time I had to play with the DK2. I certainly hope that Kunos get the 1.0 SDK and implement it in game as soon as possible. My personal thoughts is that it'll be better setup to work with the console UI, and hopefully controller support in the menus/UI will be further baked in with these releases. Once I have a Rift in the house, I know I'll be hard pressed to want to go back to 2D racing, so I hope Kunos understands how much this could mean to the AC fanbase.