1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Oh really? Open letter to the community, this time from a dev...?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aristotelis, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrk1001

mrk1001 Gamer

Awesome!

2. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Why didn't they just call it "Your driving simulator"....?

The racing elements are sort of shoe horned in, almost as an afterthought.

Pascalwb, WallyM, majuh and 5 others like this.
  3. yeah for me this is the main issue, Ac was sold to me as a racing simulator, but later found out that the racing aspect is not a priority..

4. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Racer

That's another great point as to why the conversations are about getting the AI and MP right not about driving...

Everytime you load up AC you are reminded why "Your Racing Simulator" isn't as marked on the tin...

5. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

I think it partially comes from the fact that this place is billed as the official support forum, so it's seen as "the place to come ***** and moan". As some have said, much discussion of technique, line, and setup takes place on league-specific forums and such.

I'd say a "General Driving" subsection would be most ideal; discussion of line, technique, setup, and secrets/tricks (such as the Vallelunga ones, not hacks or cheats). But yeah, I think a General Driving Discussion section would be awesome. If you ask me that's what Chit Chat should be, but if you open a forum and call it a "general discussion" without further clarification everyone's just going to post about the weather and what their cat ate for breakfast.

Let's keep on topic, eh? In a thread about more driving talk and less complaining, we start complaining. Great job.

6. Arch

Arch Alien

I think we should wait until AC has matured, and then we'll start looking at racing seriously.

AC is very close to being, without a doubt, the best sim in driving alone. Other sims do racing better.

If we can be patient, and wait for AC to become feature complete, then racing in AC could easily be the best simracing around, even considering iRacing's stature in the industry.

I think Kunos can do it, because no one ever expected AC to *actually* become the best racing sim ever, but the devs keep working on it and the progress is very rapid.

Do you guys remember where AC was 2 years ago? What about NKP? I do. It has improved tremendously.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. speedbee

speedbee Hardcore Simmer

8. BenC

BenC Hardcore Simmer

I've certainly done that a few hundred times myself. :)

William Levesque and Ethan Dean like this.
  9. yusupov

yusupov Alien

ive been aware of that book for quite some time, would love to get it but i still dont have an e-reader of any kind

10. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Oh My!
    It's even available on amazon for purchase
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Going-Nowhere...&qid=1439232276&sr=1-1&keywords=9780985415655
    Has anyone heard of it before? Must be a surprise even for Devs.

Rolf Kazamba likes this.
  11. yusupov

yusupov Alien

i doubt it is, since i knew of it, idk at least a year ago. cant recall how, but id be surprised if aris and stefano dont have a copy.

12. Good post. I have to throw in a statement about the "smaller communities", which not on it's own create better conversations around subjective or any other matters, but it is the like mindedness that rather brings the common ground and respect that people share with each other, hence leagues and private conversations where participants are hand picked, tend to be most enjoyable to take part in.

Good example of a public smaller community is rF2 forums. There is the certain crowd that does create excellent conversations, and are so knowledgeable and informative that I can't keep up, but then there is those 4-5 idiots that just have to take part and always brings even the good threads to crash landing by spewing insults and non related comments about "which is the best sim on the planet".
    It's the kind of public forums that those racing/driving/experience discussions end up in to the "my dad is better than your dad" level, which we have seen here on AC forums as well, surprisingly much less though.
    For something like that to succeed, what needs to happen is the people who want to have a conversation rather than a pissing contest, just need to learn to ignore the idiots and trolls.

In general; If one starts talking about driving/racing in a sim as an experience that it is/was, rather than measure the driving platform against everything else on the planet, it becomes actually quite interesting.
    That seems to escape so many sim fans. If you enjoy the game, why do you need to keep the comparison the most important aspect revolving around your experiences in it? Wouldn't the enjoying experience it self would be the most important part?

He never said that AC is not simulating racing, anyone who has played the game for 3 minutes, knows that it is a racing simulator.
    He was wondering why aren't you people talking about driving/racing related topics, rather than babbling about features and asking for more or less silly crap.

Freddie Seng and tabis like this.
  13. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

In which section that "Driving Talk" supposed to take place? Afraid we don't have one.
    The forum seems solely dedicated to tech support, so people are posting here with that expectation in mind.
    Driving, car setups are in other other places like RaceDepartment. We don't even have properly organized mod section, with all mods categorized and rated like RaceDepartment

But yeah, if we could consolidate it all here, that would be one place to go for all your Assetto Corsa needs.
    Something along these forum/subforums
    Driving
    ----------
    -- Driving School (Driving in general)
    -- Tracks
    -- Car setups

Download section for mod wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    snyperal, mrk1001, Mogster and 3 others like this.
  14. yeah, about people changing setups...they are a minority. I for myself was always interested in this part of simracing (since netkar) and to what extent the developers tried to achieve realism. BUt tbh, it`s not that much fun pressing + or minus to adjust rear bump or front toe. Additionally you only get visual representation for some values. I feel like if you try to pull the driver more in to car setups, the more he is willing to learn. Honestly, I just feel bad to download fast setups from other people that have been downloaded several hundred times, it`s just not the right way to go. What I`m trying to say is that if the player gets a basic understanding as to how to set different car setup values in correlation to the different tracks, this might change. I actually suggested some kind of animation for the setup page, sort of simplified visual reference, because the current 2d model might be too mathematic for a lot of people...it might even scare them off...
    So even if I learned some basic stuff through AC`s setup guide, I don`t really understand it in correlation to the tracks, especially the bump and rebound stuff! And this is the problem.

15. Now, where is that "Aris Setup Pack and Track Guide" Dlc? :D ;-)

Pascalwb likes this.
  16. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

I was going to post something very similar to this, and my stopdropgaming.com fellow league racer (as usual) is ahead of me. ;):D:p

But yeah, this driving discussion happens a lot in leagues, on forum, as well as in practice sessions - which is often easier, more effective and fun, because you can follow each-other, explain something over TeamSpeak rather than type, then try it out immediately and get feedback, share setups through ptracker, even ride with someone quicker, or have the quicker person watch/ride along and give tips on where to correct. This is one of the best aspects of being in a league, IMO.

And after the 1.2 physics update, the driving is even more important to me than it ever was. It's easy to do a 100+ practice laps when the driving itself is so f---ing enjoyable...

But I would like a subforum here, because it would widen the discussion to the entire community. RD is a good resource, but one I prefer not to go for many reasons.

17. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

In assettocorsa.ini: ENABLE_DEV_APPS=1

In-game: open Suspensions app.

Profit.

18. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Racer

The topic starts by using the term "Driving simulator" and the term "Racing simulator" is used to market the game...

Then asks why people aren't talking about driving... Which is the point of the topic is it not?

People are going to wait until they can race before talking about what they thought was the secondary part of the game not the main part of the game due to marketing, IE the driving...

So very much on topic as to why people come here to complain that the Racing simulator they bought wasn't where they thought it ought to be instead of talking about the little bits that they've focussed on during their time racing...

19. Blame

Blame Alien

Well, you could say that people have the right to complain, I saw the game on steam the first time "Next-gen racing simulator", as I assumed it has better physics than GTR2 has, I bought it because it had a very small amount of GT cars and it turned out mod-friendly, I wasn't expecting that I'll be missing night time or rain (something that even Minecraft has), I wasn't expecting to get more road cars, if I would've known that its a "driving simulator", I probably would've sticked to waiting until the game had reached its "final-destination".

TwoHardCore likes this.
  20. This is nothing but a selfrighteous assumption (mother of all f*** ups) and an emotional response to a good topic at hand. You started good, but then went south.
    Disappointment is a b*tch, it hurts you more than the other guy, on the other hand, why read into something that was never mentioned? Everything mentioned by Kunos so far, has either been already produced or is work in progress.

I find people racing in Assetto Corsa just fine, and it's only getting better.

... And this is nothing but naive fixating on specifics. If you buy something because it says "best ever" and then it is not, I think you need few life lessons about advertisement and disappointment so you can keep sleeping throught the nights.

Whitestar, LeiF, mms and 5 others like this.