1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Ping limit for servers.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WildStyle*, May 31, 2014.

1. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

There needs to be some sort of ping limit for servers, I would go only as high as 150ms and would never join a server where it is above 100...But people are dumb *****les and I see people with 300ms ping crashing into me every now and then...Come on, I mean is it fun to play while everything laggs on your screen? If they can't understand it, then I'd like to have a limit on the server, So I can have a clean race from middle of the pack, rather then get crashed in a straight because a lagger pushed cars forward...

Spark 2 and Shaddix like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer Ping Limits Jun 11, 2019
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Limite di ping. Mar 20, 2018
    Suggestions Ping limit Dec 3, 2016
    Audio Bugs & Issues Supra d-spec rev limiter popping sound missing Nov 30, 2016
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Missing sane ping/lag limit Nov 2, 2016
    Audio Bugs & Issues Mp4-12c clipping on rev limiter Nov 17, 2015
    Audio Bugs & Issues Ruf yellowbird popping on rev limit Oct 18, 2015
    ACC Gameplay [Nords] AI clipping through ground at Pflanzgarten 1 jump Apr 3, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Steering Wheel skipping first 10% Mar 30, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Dedicated Server shows up in Lobby without ping value and cannot be accessed Jan 11, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Racing/Hotlapping against other players' ghost Dec 3, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions New controller and keyboard mapping Aug 1, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer no bad ping or wifi racers allowed Jul 27, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Ping: "You're the issue" indicator Jun 4, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting v1.9 When wheel is enabled, the fps are dropping Apr 19, 2023

3. alex72

alex72 Alien

Posted a million time before.

4. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

But never got implemented by Devs so far :p

Thats one thing which should have come with the last small mp update.

5. alex72

alex72 Alien

Im sure its coming. Making new threads about it though just gives them more work here which they dont like while working so hard on MP. :D

6. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

There is a difference between developers and forum moderators...

And to me The forum search function did not reveal such topic...

7. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

Actually there isnt, at least not here!

And one would think putting that user up for a kick vote and it not passing would show that not everybody agrees with you.

To comment on the subject though, ping filter is not the answer, as you can see from many relevant posts in this forum.
    Just be patient and wait for netcode optimizations, they ARE coming!

8. Darren Blythe

Darren Blythe Hardcore Simmer

+1. 150ms is not that high for a racing sim. With better netcode AC should be capable of handing 200+

Looking forward to the improvements.

9. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

The votes work, the problem is that everyone is racing.

10. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

This idea has been discussed a million times and ping is not as simple as you think. Ping is one thing, line quality is another, and they both contribute to the gaming experience. Of course as has already been mentioned the code itself needs to be improved. There are literally thousands of people who think ping is everything and are very elitist and inflexible in this regard. I worry no matter how good the netcode gets or how little effect it actually has on the game you'll have this mentally defined max ping limit in your head, and get pissed if anything is over that, in a manner that is although people with high ping are trying to 'deliberately ruin your race' they aren't, they just live far away.

Europe is a tiny little place compared to the rest of the world. So in Europe it's really easy to find a server at your magic 150ms minimum.

Currently the only consistently populated servers are in Europe and the US to a lesser extent, so those in the rest of the world have no choice but to play on those servers. Some such as Wealthy Soup and ALOOG I can see but never play on because the pings are like 450-600. However there are some 250-300 pings in Europe mostly in Austria and Germany, and yes that's often the best i can see, so banning me from those would seriously suck. Yes, there are a loads of servers in other places some local with 50-150 pings but they are empty 97% of the time. Yes, I know you'll suggest I 'start my own server', but there's already ****loads of unpopulated ghost servers at the moment, we don't need another one. Also you'll probably say 'join a local league', 'start a local league' or 'be the only one on a server and others will come' tried those, didn't work. Or you try the 'your connection must be crap' classic, it's not.

Then even more irritating is that if there is actually a local server that isn't password protected with more than three locals on it then a bunch of Euros with 500-600 pings come along and turn it into a lag warp fest. The difference is those Euros had a choice to play on local servers.

So there needs to be some kind of exceptions for ping based on your location, such as always being able to play on the lowest ping populated server in the server list or a 200ms limit for European based drivers and a 300ms limit for drivers based in other regions.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    sherpa25 likes this.
  11. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

Why not "seed" (populate) good latency servers close to you, so that people see: "Oh hey look, a good server near us, and it´s even being used !"
    ???

12. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

I said that I've already tried that. All that happens is I'm the only one on it, maybe one other guy joins it, two guys racing at best, worth it? At some point you have to face facts and realize that Kunos are killing their simulation in places outside Europe due to mediocre netcode and their booking system. We need people to be able to join servers in practice and qualifying. This means they are driving people onto Euro servers or on to other simulations. Seems like they've taken a sabbatical since they went to 10.2.

13. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Is this meant as a joke?^^
    Europe itself is bigger than USA and only smaller than Russia.
    Sure europa is splitted with germany, italy, france, uk, etc. but u need to see them as one country...
    Btw i hate europe for the politics and stupid money burning.

Pinglimit would kick u out, but hey u wouldnt be the only one.
    So your ghostserver would be filled only with your people from outside of eu.
    If all of your country would join only your near located server they wouldnt be empty.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

14. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Let's just wait and see what the next updates bring. We may be surprised at how high a ping we can safely race with.

Luigi, our ALOOG server is in Germany with 100mb/s bandwidth. On Monday next week we hope to be replacing it with a much better 3.4GHz quad core, 32gb RAM server and 200mb/s bandwidth, still in Germany. Keep an eye out for it (them) and let me know if your ping improves on it. I'm not suggesting your ping will fall to <200ms but hopefully you will at least be more stable on track.

sherpa25 likes this.
  15. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

No it's not a joke. Europe is small, especially when you consider the distance to the rest of the world and the core of Europe is basically even smaller in terms of western Europe, there aren't many people playing in Ukraine or Lithuania, your idea of European size in terms of AC is a bit overstretched. Ping limit kicks me out, nothing happens better in my region. Most Asians will just go back to Forza and GT, they already are, Australians are going back to V8 racing. But I doubt you'll give a ****, as long as you're driving your beemer around Nords with a group of friends who live within a stones-throw of you. Seems kinda selfish IMO.

16. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

I saw ALOOG a few weeks ago at 5-600ms, and again at 450ms recently. I know Germany can be at 250ms from here, of course it's not within your control, its our ISPs. Thanks for trying, much appreciated. :) All I want to do is have fair and clean racing with friends and not get into fights over my ping speed. I'm on 100mbs connection, and it's the best I can get here.

17. Darren Blythe

Darren Blythe Hardcore Simmer

Connection speed and ping are not always related. Most of the time it's about sheer geographical distance from the server. Our main game server has a 1GB pipe up and down, but our racers from Australia or Asia will never, ever get under 200ms.

We are not about to start booting long standing league/club members (or anyone else) because of where they live. Racing can and should be able to take place globally (assuming both sides have at least a half decent stable connection). This has never been a barrier since the days of GPL on a dial up modem. AC needs to improve the netcode. Anyone who had a decent amount on online racing under their belt can see it a mile off. Kunos know its not comparable to other sims yet, and improvements are on the way.

Obviously when you start seeing pings in the 400+ range it's indicative that there's a greater problem than distance from the server. In this situation it's not reasonable to expect the sim to compensate and admins need handle it as they see fit.

sherpa25 and martcerv like this.
  18. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Your 100mb/s bandwidth is much better than the majority of Europe. At best my connection is 15/1.5 but is throttled to 7/0.7 in the evening, which is of course when I play online :rolleyes:. 6 years ago this was cutting edge. Unfortunately there are no plans to upgrade in my area in the near future. When on the ALOOG server my ping is about 60 - 70ms

19. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

Somehow when I go into the browser I seem to be able to find not only 1 asian server filled with people, but quite few...

And my problem is not the ping itself, I just know what distance does...As long as you are not jumping all over the track I'm fine with it, but as soon as you start to jump back and forth, left and right. You are ****ing my racing up okay?
    And everyone is over rating "THE NETCODE" All it is going to do, predict better and be prepared for contacts...Now it just sends location data of your position on the track to the server and everyones else back to you...The problem is that it doesn't take much information, as long as you are racing...The problem is when you touch, it's not yet optimized to deal with that, not to mention that crashing in it self is yet to be optimized...And there are 2 way netcode can work...Slower so that it doesn't use as much of the bandwidth...Just like FPS where you walk behind a wall and think you are safe while the opponent still sees you for a fraction of a second and kills you...and faster that uses more bandwidth, it is accurate so that everyone sees the same thing at the same time, true this brings lagg into play so connections might be and issue...The good news is that this is a racing game, which seem to be able to deal with this, as the information sent is predictable far more than an FPS game...

We are currently using the slower of the bunch and that is why what seems to you just a touch is just incorectly sent information...a crash might be sent faster that the current speed you are traveling with. You are going 80 and slowing down to the cars pace infront and when you touch it still registers it that you are traveling at 80 while you are going 60...They just need to find the right balance and other things in the mix so that "The Netcode" doesn't use the wrong information, but the right one at the right time, all while predicting stuff and using as little Bandwidth as possible.
    Does not necessarily mean you will be able to play with 300+ ping with no issues...

20. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

What servers in Asia filled with people?
    People who are jumping around warping and so on don't know that they are ****ing up your precious racing! The way you are reacting is although it's some deliberate sabotage like someone wrecking.

21. WildStyle*

WildStyle* Racer

Well I can't find any at the moment, but at one point I saw about 10-ish servers from Japan and such...And had plenty of people playing in them...Now I see 2 Australian 14/14 and 6/10...Some of yall should really consider making a server rather than whining about absence of one...

Ey jumping and warping works both ways, only difference is that they see everyone jumping...