1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Possible to center the steering wheel before each new session ?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by picturaw, Aug 13, 2015.

1. picturaw

picturaw Rookie

Hi,

I would like to know if it possible to center the steering wheel before each new session (or at the end of each session) ?

Because right now if I end my qualification session with the steering wheel at full right I will therefore begin the race with the steering wheel at full right too. It's problematic because we don't always visually see if the steering wheel is centered or not. For example if the steering wheel is at 360° right we visually think the wheel is centered but it is not. And that's problematic if we end a qualification session with that steering wheel position because we'd begin the race with that position.

I don't count the times where I begin a race with the steering wheel at 360° at the right or left, so I don't visually see that the wheel is not centered, but when I begin the race I go full right or left instead going straight :eek:

Regards

grandepunto likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Editing screens individually, is it possible? Triple Monitor setup plugin. Apr 5, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Is Cheating in ACC still possible -Seriously- Dec 13, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Is a desired brake trace possible with Fanatec V3 pedals? Dec 10, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC-Server incident logging possible? Nov 30, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is it possible to hide steering wheel on XSX? Nov 26, 2023
    General modding discussion Is it possible to animate (tank) tracks? Nov 21, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Is it possible to use OpenXr or Open composite in ACC with a Quest 3? Nov 18, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Cheating, does it happen, is it possible on Xbox Sep 10, 2023
    ACC Physics Possible drivetrain issue Ferrari 296 Apr 23, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Impossible to drive with gamepad like everytime you make an update. Apr 19, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Impossible to play online in ps5 Dec 29, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Is it possible to make AI performance more similar to each other? Dec 28, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is it possible to use the ACC Dedicated Server app for the PS5/PS4? Dec 14, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Possible cause of dashboarding on 1.8.7.1 Dec 10, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting No Multiplayer possible. Opponents staying in Pitlane Nov 25, 2022

3. Horus

Horus Alien

In short no, unless you like fake effects with push to center. The best option is don't crash or go off the track, if you need to check then use F5 then F1 to get back in the cockpit. Maybe a smart app maker could develop an app that tells you your wheels are straight. :)

4. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Horus likes this.
  5. picturaw

picturaw Rookie

I think you've totally misunderstood me. I've never talked about fake effects or things like this. I've just asked if it was possible to automatically center the steering wheel before a new session. Cause if not, that can be problematic if the driver doesn't check his steering wheel before a race for example.

6. Horus

Horus Alien

That is exactly what I replied to you. No the wheel will not center, you have to do that, I was also only pointing the only real reason the wheel would not be straight is because of crashing and quiting to pits. :)

7. Horus

Horus Alien

8. dESK0

dESK0 Racer

Easy, set the wheel at 680 degrees. Impossible to start with wheel at fake center.

9. picturaw

picturaw Rookie

Ok, so if I follow you correctly, the best is to let the situation as it is right now. So, obviously, you won't complain the day we'll be together, side by side at the start of a race, with me forgetting to check if my steering wheel is correctly centered. If I hit you because of that, you'll be comprehensive I'm sure, so I don't have to worry too much about this anymore.

And to all the persons I'm gonna hit because of this issue at the start of a race, I'll respond them : "Look, don't blame me, AC forumers didn't support me when I asked for a simple and easy way to get sure my steering wheel is centered at the start of the race".

:)

10. Horus

Horus Alien

No, I will not complain because it is only a game and I would think 'What a clot!' He did not check that his wheel was straight. Noob', then roll my eyes and get on my way. You have been given links to apps that will help you figure out where your wheels are pointing. If you don't use them and wreck people off the line then it will be you, not me, swearing and shouting. For one big reason you will get banned from every server you join because you are driving without due care and attention. When you get in a car do you have any device that tells you your wheels are pointing anywhere but forward? NO! What you do is when you park it up, you straighten the wheel (slightly off center so it would hit the curb if the handbrake fails), turn the car off, close the door, lock it and go home/work etc etc.

So if you want to know if your wheel is straight press F5 then F1, or don't crash out before the start of the race and park up in the pits with your wheel straight. Simples. Tuurik

Good luck with your Minolinrating. ;)

11. Stereo

Stereo Alien

If you enable the centering force in the logitech profiler, then you can center your wheel by switching to not-AC using alt+tab at which point the game FFB will turn off and the centering will turn on. I usually tab out anyway because at the end of qualifying sessions, after the clock hits 0:00, there seems to be a ~5 minute wait on most servers, so I check the forums.

12. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

yeh this is probably the best solution for now, worth hitting alt-enter after doing this though

13. Horus

Horus Alien

Are you guys for real, honestly how to make thing more difficult for yourself lesson 101. Stereo, I can understand you wanting to do stuff if you join severs with that type of wait. The most time waiting on the servers I join is about one minute, which is just about enough time to make any adjustments to the settings if required. The option to put centering on was given, so were apps to show where the wheel is pointing. I think what he wants is similar to the self calibration check at startup. He wants the wheel to reset between sessions, now I don't know about you but I think this is rather silly and unnecessary. Anyhoo, Why do so much when all you have to do is F5(freeview that looks straight at your front wheel) F1(back to cockpit)?

Ears 'The easiest Option'

ALT+TAB, click Logitech profiler, click options, click global options, click center spring, click ok, untick center spring, click ok, OPTIONAL click close, ALT + TAB (click on ACS.exe), ALT + Enter.

or

Horus lazy Hippie option.

F5 then F1, move wheel to correct position.

Make your choices.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  14. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

umm you just leave center spring on in global profile, and off in your game profiles, then your wheel auto centers in a lot of scenarios automatically. so its actually alt tab, alt tab, alt enter, you could even make a joy2key function to do this probably

either way not sure why you are so actively against the idea and are so keen on workarounds, this could easily be added to the game and is not a stupid feature, given the game just fades to black and you lose control at the end of session (mid corner = steering in some random position), rather than getting to park your car, its just one of many UX annoyances that we have just dealt with, but maybe the more casual gamer (e.g. console) will actually find this annoying

Horus likes this.
  15. Horus

Horus Alien

What you think someone that cannot figure out their wheel is not straight will be able to setup a Logitech profile? LOL Good call there. :)

edit: The reason I do not want it to self center is that it could knock the beer out of my hand, brake a nail or maybe hurt my young son when he is playing it offline. Given options are always good, maybe it could be put in an ini or something. Still there are very easy ways to check, many varied and useful ways.

16. JackCY

JackCY Racer

Does your wheel support being controlled via 3rd party software?
    Does your wheel software support centering? Can you setup a hotkey, command, something to execute that wheel software centering?

Most wheels can be operated since they have FFB so you could execute a command for it to center or just center it with your app.

Other than that an ingame visual guide would help to tell you that the wheel is off center.

I have a virtual wheel and exactly as what you want, I just the R key and that:
    1) sets my virtual controller steering dead center
    2) if h-shifter is used shifts to neutral
    3) disables DRS and other features like that, simply R = reset

You just need to find a way to control your wheel. Most decent wheels should automatically center when turned on/off too.

17. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

seriously? what is the point of this attitude, if its such a terrible idea why do other games do it? e.g pcars. not everyone is content with living off of workarounds, just because you are, doesnt mean you should just go around shooting down valid suggestions because you are happy. besides, it does affect everyone anyway because ive seen the described situation happen enough times online, so i hope next time your qualify near the front of the grid someone happens to suffer from this issue and wreck you, maybe it will open your eyes a little...

18. Horus

Horus Alien

There we go a keyboard jockey that uses third party software to beat the system telling you what to do with your wheel, that will help some I'm sure. :)

READ THE EDIT Ears! Then you can calm down and edit your post. :)

F5 F1 is not a work around it is just a way to check. GEZ! How to have an argument about someone not being able to center their wheel with two keys. IT IS NOT A WORK AROUND IT IS HOW IT IS! Who cares about console users, they can worry about themselves. GEZ! Had enough of this BS. F5 F1 or a app, easy and simples.

19. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

it basically is a work around because the fact is you shouldnt have to check, in RL its impossible to end up on a grid and not know where your wheel is, because you drove there, in the game you are teleported there and the wheel is just wherever it was before you finished driving in the last session, which could be non centered because of being mid corner driving and fading to black, or just spinning out and hitting back to pits, your wheel could be full lock in one direction

also the scenario you described in your edit.... if you dont want that stuff to happen then i assume you have ffb disabled alltogether? the nature of a force feedback wheel is... it moves! so you are driving round a corner, wheel is applying ffb, session ends and fades to black, wheel continues to apply ffb to bring the wheel to center.. not sure where the issue comes from unless you have some 100NM DD wheel set to 200% strength, in which case you shouldnt drink and operate heavy machinery :p

20. Horus

Horus Alien

So use the F5 as your walk to the car and F1 to get in it. LOL

21. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Guys stop fighting!!!! :D

I also thought that this feature would be great but this

is a nice example of how things can go wrong. Devs might try to fix someone's problem and create a worse for some others.

OP can choose for many of the workarounds mentioned (me i use the app that shows the wheel).

Of course, some times even the best drivers can make a mistake (look the 1st car on a race of our local league, who has the wheel pointed in the "right" for the rest of us direction :D )
    [​IMG]

Horus likes this.