1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Practising for newbies - the next level

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Thx1137, May 28, 2019.

1. Thx1137

Thx1137 Racer

Hey gang, since the first Gran Turismo game I've dabbled with racing but could never find it interesting for long. I had fun for maybe two hours at a time before getting bored then leaving it for a year or two before trying again.

Along comes ACC. I picked it up seven days ago and have 33 hours in it so far. I find the leveling system to be the greatest thing since bacon and such a big help in improving and keeping interest. It really made all the difference.

But the other day I thought, "lets try a race". OMG. I know the intention is not to hit the opposition but I think my car thought it was a demolition derby. I've never felt so damn incompetent! So, today I brought the number of AI down to just three cars and made them not aggressive, I also lowered their skill level.

With those changes I tried to stay as near as possible, preferably in the middle of the other cars. It took a couple of races but I got there. So I bumped up the skill level to 10 points. I can certainly tell the difference and find it much harder to catch up if I make a bad mistake. So to me this is a great next step in practice progression, it lets me focus more because there is less going on.

So thanks to the devs for making something compelling, even in its unfinished state (not for long!) and thanks to the authors of the many posts in these forums that provide a wealth of knowledge that I could digest while lurking. :)

ctnich, Radfahrer, ZioYuri78 and 7 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Easing newbies into ACC Jun 12, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Car tuning for newbies Oct 27, 2015
    Suggestions show apps bar for a few seconds so newbies will know it's there Jan 10, 2014

3. Turk

Turk Alien

That's the secret to racing. Don't make mistakes. :p You will literally win races if your the guy that doesn't crash. Although I'd expect ACC to change that. With a more serious competitive spin on the title I think we'll see less careless driving, so my "just don't crash mantra" isn't going to be as successful for me in the future.

Son likes this.
  4. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

From what I read, you are about to start with exactly the right attitude, which usually leads to insanely quick progression ending up in a competent and fast simracers.

For the destruction derby part :D I can recommend having a look at Hagen's steam guide. It was written for AC1, but is true for Racing in general so it doesn't matter. As we didn't manage to take notes about racing rules in ACC yet, I consider this the reference:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=578213084

In a nutshell it's about: If you are behind a car, your only job is to avoid the accident. If you can't, it's your mistake.
    Turned around, as long as you are in front you don't really need to care about who comes from behind. The only exception is when a car is next to you at the corner entry.

The rest is all about reducing your personal expectations. Entry/mid level racing is not epic or sensational. As @Turk said, the winner usually is who can stay out of trouble and has the consistency to see the finish line first.
    It takes years of practice to replicate racing like we see it in TV (and btw the same is true for the drivers we see in TV :D )

Edit: mh reading again this sounds a bit... depressing :D It's not like we don't have insane fun out here, but that requires an adjustment of expectations in the first place

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Arlo and Son like this.
  5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

"It takes years of practice to replicate racing like we see it in TV (and btw the same is true for the drivers we see in TV :D )"

I can attest to this. Nearly twenty years and I'm still learning and improving. It's taken many iterations in hardware and software development to get us to this point- Where it don't feel like it can get much more "real".

All the past advice for noobs can now be tossed out and just tell them to approach the driving like it's real.

6. PiretSS2000

PiretSS2000 Racer

I like the way you think XD

Just out of curiosity, what are your rankings? Have you unlocked SA?

7. PabloVND

PabloVND Racer

For newbies as a first step I recommend to expend a free afternoon, put music and have a drink and spend a couple of hours tunning force feedback and calibrating pedals. Try to understand how your hardware works :)

Son likes this.
  8. mikendrix

mikendrix Simracer

You should try with the CC rating on the HUD, and do hotlaps until you are mostly in blue and green.

9. These are my favourite type of posts, welcome aboard the sim racing train. Take your time and stick at it - you'll eventually be hooked.

Son and Arlo like this.
  10. Thx1137

Thx1137 Racer

Thanks everyone. :)

Depressing? Not at all and thanks for the link. I also have this: https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/ which looks awesome but I need to study it a lot more.

No SA yet.
    TC: 74
    CN: 56
    CC: 66
    PC: 13

I've raced with AI 4 times now though only once with a full field. I've only done one special event which is where I got the 13.

I have two main issues I can see.
    1. I go into corners too quick. I don't have a feel for my brakes and tend to wait till the last second.
    2. I don't use the whole road well.

When I do better with those my times are so much better. Consistency is the key, I feel it is coming, slowly.

An interesting point. I have the default settings for FF. I think I can generally feel what is going on so have left it alone but of course I've no idea if I can make it feel "better".

I am using a T300 RS GT Edition with T3PA pedals. IT was the most I was willing to spend considering I didn't know if I would just give up after 2 hours again. The first two days I was using a Logitech Driving Force with broken FF.

11. Turk

Turk Alien

ACC works pretty good out of the box. I've literally done zero modifications to the base FFB and it works just fine, the only thing I might do is tune down the gain slightly.