1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Quali: let people finish their lap after timer ends

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by neel, Sep 29, 2014.

1. neel

neel Racer

Hello,

Current quali system ends the session as soon as the timer ends, which is really odd. Please let people who passed the starting line before timer ends finish their lap, that's how it should be.

Cefa, Salad Fingers, Cuthere and 5 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Qualifying and race, car is like driving two completely different cars Feb 10, 2020
    ACC User Interface holding TAB after qualifying completely screws up UI in a race Aug 7, 2019
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues No possibility to complete qualification lap like in reality Mar 24, 2015
    ACC Gameplay AI disqualified( not attempting to pit during mandatory pitstops ) Mar 5, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Game crashes when switching from quali to race session (online) Aug 4, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality Image quality after initial install (openxr/open composite) Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Gameplay AI Qualifying Fuel Load Nov 10, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Disqualified for not doing mandatory ? Jun 11, 2022
    Console Lounge Series X-Disqualified AI at every race May 4, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Regular Disconnects between Quali and race start Jan 25, 2022
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Bugged results in quali and race sessions in North America Competitive race Dec 27, 2021
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars McLaren 570S GT4 low quality dash at night Oct 12, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer 1.7.11 - Free Practice and Quali timetable mismatch Jun 23, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer qualifying ending too early in cp Jun 20, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Quali Setup May 7, 2021

3. Yeah, cause waiting five minutes because somebody stopped on track is so much fun.....how hard is it to just make your lap in the time allowed, really?

4. neel

neel Racer

If you have people blocking the session by waiting in last lap just find other people to race with....
    Anyway it is easy to also add a forced end after best laptime + let say 20%.
    Ending session during a valid lap is just not realistic at all, I guess most series you can finish the lap you started if you crossed the line before end of quali session length.

Cuthere likes this.
  5. Rigel

Rigel Alien

Giving some amount of time, say 2 minutes, should be an honest compromise.

6. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

I agree it can be frustrating, but you are tasked with posting your best lap within the allotted time. Once the allotted time has expired....well your no longer within that time. With so many varried track lengths, this is probably the easiest solution. One option could be to allow those still on their quali lap to have the total time at pole to complete a lap. E.G. if pole posts a 1:59.000, then after quali timer goes, drivers have 1:59.000 to finish their lap, but with the nord being such a large track, that could take a while. Adding a predetermined amount of time, say 2 min, you might as well have made a longer quali. For fairness sake, quali ends at the same time for everyone, much as it begins at the same time for everyone. IRL you may get the rest of the lap to post a faster time, but this is a game, not RL, some compromises are made.

7. I understand that it is done in real life that way, but after a hundred different threads asking for this I just don't understand why; other than because that is how it is done in real life...and I don't really understand why it is done like this in real life either...

If, for example, a server is set up with 10 minutes of qualifying on a track that takes a minute thirty to make a lap; why do you need an extra minute or two; what is so difficult about getting your lap in the time allowed?

8. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

I think the frustration comes from likely being on a fast lap, and having it not count, or ended "prematurely", simply due to the timer.

9. WhosOnTheThrone

WhosOnTheThrone Simracer

I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen a post about this given that there are apparently over 100 instances of it.
    If I had a pound for every time I was on my best lap when the timer cut me off I'd be able to buy a set of club sport pedals. But then there's nothing to say I wouldn't end up getting slowed by someone else later on that lap or flopping it all by myself either. Finding the gap to set a good quali time is all part of the skill of racing.
    I very much doubt that they are going to change the fundamentals of race sessions this late in development whether it is for the better or not, it is something we will just have to get used to and plan our own sessions better to avoid the time out.

10. Horus

Horus Alien

This can already be done with server tools. Unless that has changed since the last update, but you could add time till next session and as such finish a lap before the session ended.

11. neel

neel Racer

That's my suggestion, but pole lap + x%
    I guess pole +20% should be ok. If pole is 2min then quali ends 2min24s after the last player crossed the line before timer went to 0 (though your lap will count only if you passed the line before quali timer went to 0, of course. When quali timer has reached 0 every one who passes the line should have this laptime recorded but get the fade to black, even if he would have time to complete another lap).

A game, but also a sim ! Really that would not be hard to implement, just a few lines of code. So it would be sad to not have it and keep having this sad fade to black when you are in your last quali lap, giving all you have to try to improve your rank. That's really to bad for such a good sim assetto is.

It is all the heart of quali session to pass the line just before timer ends. It is even more important if track grip increase (rubber left on track) because then the closer to the last passing the line, the best grip you will have !

Really ? And your time is recorded in logs ? (we use quali logs to set race grid for race A and reversed race B)

Although not really convenient, as you have to do it manually, and guessing what will be pole time, and I guess you cannot prevent someone recording a last lap regardless he passed the line after timer has ended.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  12. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

So, you need "a few lines of code" to do what common sense does for the most of us.
    Here's a wild idea....

If your best laptime on that combo is 2:00 do NOT start a fast lap when the timer is lower than 2:10 !

If qualifying time set by the server is not enough for you to complete a fast lap, get out and go find another server with enough time!

13. neel

neel Racer

If you have no clue what is being talked about, please do not post here....

14. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

If you have nothing useful to add, please do not post here...

15. neel

neel Racer

Everything is in my posts above, not my fault if you cannot understand...

16. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

For some reason you are really begging me to start trolling you, but I will try to be strong and resist...

I will just ignore your "easy" and "better track grip" arguments because they will lead to name calling.

Your only valid argument is the "that's how it is in real life".
    While that is true, real life races also have race officials to monitor the race and apply the rules.
    Only result in adding such a system in AC would be to extend the qualifying time.
    Usually to the max allowed, by somebody stopped on the track. (but let me guess... its also "easy" to add "a few lines of code" to DQ stopped cars)
    There will always be people not managing to cross the line when the timer runs out, even if its pole+20%.
    I can just guarantee there will be threads asking to make it pole+30%, pole+40% and so on.

In the end, and like I said before, use common sense!

17. neel

neel Racer

1°) Track grip was an answer to "I don't really understand why it is done like this in real life either...". Please read carefuly before answering....
    2°) No it will not "just make quali longer", it would change your quali management, trying to push a bit more during your outlap if you are close to the session time limit. And anyway just because it is way more natural and immersive to not have a damn fade to black during a lap, it is a sufficient reason to request it.
    3°) Yes, some people may not be able to complete with pole +20%. That was just a suggestion to have it not too long for those who want fast quali in pickup races (I'm not doing pickup races). I only play championship with 15min quali and 2x 30min race so I personnaly wouldn't cry for a single minute longer quali session.... So even Pole + 50% would be ok for me, and if you cannot quali in 1.5x pole time then you should get some serious training before thinking about MP races.

Common sense won't remove stupid fade to black...

FunkyMiK likes this.
  18. Can you tell me how you doing it?

19. neel

neel Racer

Unfortunately not as I'm not the one organizing this. However I linked this thread in our own assetto topic so if he takes a look at it he may answer your question.

edit: I forwarded your question

Andrey Varlamov likes this.
  20. Damien Wintz

Damien Wintz Racer

If you launch a server in a command terminal you will see that the server outputs a lot of stuff. Among this output, there's the best lap time for each driver. Now If you gather all those outputs in a file, you can have a script that parses it and from there you can have the result of the qualifying session programmatically.

Also, the "entry_list.ini" file for prebooked players has an order (CAR_0, CAR_1, etc.). This is the order of the prebooked drivers on the grid come the race session.

So if you have the quali results programmatically in your script, and if you can generate a "entry_list.ini" file, well then you can generate a grid with the drivers in whatever order you want.

PS: but this requires server restart between each session as the entry_list file is only read when you start the server.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Andrey Varlamov likes this.
  21. Damien Wintz

Damien Wintz Racer

PS: I read through the topic and I agree 100% with OP. This is one of the little things that totally breaks the otherwise so good immersion. Another thing I would mention in this aspect is the fact that we don't have any control over the car before green flag. It's so incredibly annoying in a race simulator to not be able to jump start.

PS2: @Horus race over time can be configured server side so that people can still finish their lap after the leader crossed the finish line but nothing equivalent is available for qualifying sessions. And even for races it's far from being optimal.

FunkyMiK and Erwin like this.