1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Question about steering wheel impact on cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by JeansenVaars, Jun 14, 2015.

1. JeansenVaars

JeansenVaars Rookie

Hello all, just came here to ask something about the general car on steering wheel behavior

Consider yourself in the scenario of a Steering wheel with full force feedback support, against yourself in a real car.

When you approach a 90 degrees turn, at a high speed, anything higher than 120km/h and you *dont* break enough to reduce the speed for proper turning, *IF* you try to turn your steering wheel *entirely* (anything higher than 600 degrees) in reaction to try to turn your car the most possible (as any common reaction of any casual person who tries to play a game), I get the following idea:

1. Real car: By turning your steering wheel entirely, your car starts spinning and crashes horribly.

2. Sim-game car: The car simply understeers and you go out of the track, eat all the grass that follows until you hit the closest wall.

So, my question is, am I wrong on my comparison? I think that, approaching at high speed, force feedback *should* endure and avoid you from completely turning the steering wheel, by feeling tougher and heavier, and *IF* you override this strength, actually the car should start spinning side ways. But it seems *all* the racing game have this wrong, you can turn your steering wheel how much you feel like, and still the car simply understeers.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Steering lock and ratio calculation question. Nov 26, 2017
    General modding discussion Question about steering feel Jan 7, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Steering wheel 'feel' (observation, request and questions) Aug 14, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Question about steering lock Apr 3, 2015
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec gt2 (raw) steering range question. Dec 18, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Question about "Combining acceleration, braking, and steering" Mar 5, 2014
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Question about Steering Dec 30, 2013
    Chit Chat Room Question? Apr 26, 2024
    ACC General Discussions Small question about time multiplier / offline Apr 16, 2024
    ACC General Discussions Assetto Corsa Competizone Logo Use Question Oct 10, 2023
    Chit Chat Room 3 questions Oct 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Very Stupid question Sep 23, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Questionable ACC Server Reliability Aug 13, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple screen and gsync question Jun 24, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Question regarding legality of organizing paid-entry races and offering cash prizes in Assetto Corsa Apr 25, 2023

3. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Well it depends to an extent on setup.

Most cars in real life are set up to understeer in that situation (would say all, but some lunatics may not be). If real cars did that, people would crash left and right, as it's very unsafe...

The main way to do that is suspension setup - the antirollbars and general spring rates are usually higher in the front, which means the front is stiffer and loses traction first when the car rolls. If the difference is high enough (eg. alfa GTA) the front inside wheel will pick right off the ground so then you have 2 rear vs 1 front tire and the rears can easily maintain more lateral traction, preventing a spin.

If you were to drop the front arb and raise the rear one in a car with wide ranges of setup options, you could probably see spins just by turning the wheel...

4. Nao

Nao Alien

Thats a common misconception, real car (especially a normal "family friendly" one) will understeer even harder than the sim car in such conditions.
    It will look kind of like this: (Youtube link) - and note that this is still a racecar, designed for balance, real cars will understeer much harder and will not require more throttle for it to occur.

As for force feedback, in real car and in sims, the steering wheel pulling strength comes directly from the lateral force front tyres generate (big simplification), only it's just much weaker. If you turn the wheel too much the front tyres will end up sliding on road surface and produce >less< lateral force, and therefore the steering wheel will get "lighter" the more you turn, and the car will be turning less - understeer.

If you live in a place with snow/ice you can test it in a real car on safe speeds... a normal tarmac provides too much grip to start sliding the front tyres, requiring much more speed so it's very rare to see it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    LeDude83 and Nahkamarakatti like this.
  5. phizz

phizz Simracer

Had to do that in a car safety training. At some point the car just goes straight no matter how far you turn the steering wheel.

LeDude83 likes this.
  6. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Watch this video of a car driving at high speed on a straight line and then it loses control, and goes spinning from the road to the grass. The car used in the video is the BMW M135.
    Start watching from min 3.

Try this experiment with the BMW 1 Series M coupé from the game, simply known as the bmw 1m. The same can happen as in that real life video, but depends on the situations of the track, weather, how the car was built, and the driver's inputs. The other car from that video, VW Golf GTi Mk7, didn't lose control and spin out like the M135. I've had the BMW 1M from the game lose control in a similar way, but it wasn't exactly from a straight line high speed. I was driving at high speed in the first low angle bends from Vallelunga track, after you pass the lap line and there is a bend to the right and after to the left. I've lost control there and spun out on the tarmac and the grass. Is kinda like the car got some air under the tires/or tank slapper as I was turning from the fast bend right to the left bend, in 5th gear speed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  7. True. Did that a lot when driving to my previous home. There was a looong left hander and way too low speed limit so I was always entertaining myself with the car. If you do a quick steering movement, your car will go absolutely straight until the point speed is slow enough for front tyres to regain the grip.