1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Question: Whats the right timing to blip ??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Lazybug, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

Before this I always thought the best time to blip is when i press the gear down paddle (Stock DFGT) but currently i practice Monza@Lotus 49 special event & i found that i actually have to blip a little bit later (feel like somewhere +-0.3s) to make the blip work, if i blip exactly same time when i gear down i will get wheel spin +- 0.3 later, so is this only happen in Lotus or a bug or it happen to every car ??

By the way i didnt use auto clutch assist despite my wheel has no clutch, not sure if this has anything to do with the blip delay or not.

Thanks for the concern :cool:

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Question? Apr 26, 2024
    ACC General Discussions Small question about time multiplier / offline Apr 16, 2024
    ACC General Discussions Assetto Corsa Competizone Logo Use Question Oct 10, 2023
    Chit Chat Room 3 questions Oct 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Very Stupid question Sep 23, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Questionable ACC Server Reliability Aug 13, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Triple screen and gsync question Jun 24, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Question regarding legality of organizing paid-entry races and offering cash prizes in Assetto Corsa Apr 25, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Straightforward question about server creation Apr 15, 2023
    ACC Physics Question about MoTeC channel "ROTY" Apr 7, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Setting Question with Trackir Mar 19, 2023
    Sounds modding QUESTION FOR HORN ABOUT FMOD SOFTWARE Nov 7, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Thrustmaster TS-XW Steer Lock question Sep 25, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting two questions in one Sep 16, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room License request question Sep 15, 2022

3. You should actually blip just a little before you downshift...and I mean very little before; almost the exact same time...the sim will still enable auto clutch when you have no clutch pedal

Lazybug likes this.
  4. Bailey

Bailey Alien

Would it be fair to say we should blip right before 'the' downshift happens? Accounting for mechanical (and virtual) lag?
    ~Bailey

Lazybug likes this.
  5. harryorlsen

harryorlsen Racer

Thanx 4 the fred. 1st time i hear about it. Lets go practicing :)

"The Blip?

The Blip is used when you are changing down a gear without loosing speed or grip.

Properly done the RPM should be raised to approx 2700 to 3000 RPM just before the clutch is engaged again. You do not push the throttle and hold it, you tap it, the best term to explain it is you “Blip” the throttle, this is a quick and sharp burst.

The blip should take place just before re-engaging the clutch by doing this you will not get the shock through the drive train or slow the car down when going from a higher gear to a lower gear. In a competition environment on the race track when you are driving close to the tyres limitations of adhesion, a down shift with out a blip could cause a loss of grip and send the car into a spin or loose grip in the straight line braking zone."

http://obpltd.wordpress.com/2011/06...-heel-and-toe-race-car-tips-obp-tech-session/

mangal, Lazybug and Jacka like this.
  6. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

So i guess the fact that i need to delay to blip a little bit later is because of the lag ?? You see if i enable the auto blip that Lotus 49 will blip almost or exactly the same time i press the down gear paddle.

Anyway my pc do have some 0.3~0.5s lag or delay because I found my brake point in the recording video always like 0.3~0.5s later compare to where i brake in actual gameplay :D I wonder if i need to change the blip timing next time if i have a powerful pc :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone for the reply, much appreaciated :)

7. Snarffu

Snarffu Racer

Lazybug likes this.
  8. Hany

Hany Alien

My experience with the bmw z4 gt3 is that down shifting to a lower gear while the rpm is still way too high will unsettle the car even if u perfectly time the blip. Slower the car a bit more and then blip and down shift. See if that helps.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk

Lazybug likes this.
  9. The cars with paddle shifters (semi-automatics) blip for you even on pro mode....Only time you need to blip the throttle yourself is on H-pattern and sequential shift cars.

Mogster and Lazybug like this.
  10. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

Yeah thanks for the tips but i like to summary my question a little bit here ;-

1. If Auto Blip ON - The Lotus 49 automatically blip almost the same time or right after i press the downshift paddle.
    2. If Auto Blip OFF - I downshift & have to wait to blip a little bit later while the hand-in-game go do that gear shift animation thing. If i blip right after i press the downshift paddle the blip wont work, car lost control.

11. First thing, don't pay attention to what the hand in the car is doing....it goes to the shifter early and it doesn't make the animation until well after you have shifted.....you should be blipping right before you push whatever button you are using to shift...mind you that this is all happening in a fraction of a second but the rpm's should spike upward momentarily right before you are shifting....not sure how you are blipping after shifting but if it works for you than keep doing it; the rules will completely change when mechanical damage is implemented but no use worrying about that until it gets here.

Lazybug likes this.
  12. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

Yes Sir :D

13. sinbad

sinbad Racer

Who wrote that?
    That part about the "the rpm should be raised to approx 2700 to 3000 RPM"? What on earth were they thinking?

14. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

Go read about why you its best to blip the throttle on down shifts and then you can judge yourself when is best..

Its also called heal/toe.

15. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

With H-pattern, that is obvious, but I am still having a hard time getting used to sequential plus clutch downshift. On the G27, the sequential goes to the paddle shifters, and the combo clutch + paddles is... a bit unnatural.

Also a bit annoying that for heal/toe on G27, I seem to have to twist my right foot about 70-90 degrees sideways to properly hit the throttle. There's a massive gap between brake and throttle paddles... And my shoe size is 44/12

16. brianr121

brianr121 Racer

17. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Except the Lotuses you never need clutch or i am wrong ?

18. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Semi auto sequential cars have auto clutch and auto blip so no real reason to manualy clutch or blip. On those cars I clutch off the line then thats it. Full manual I clutch on upshifts and just blip on most downshifts but also clutch down sometimes on slower corners.

I also have no issues heal and toeing on the g25 stock setup.

19. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

I blip differently depending on the car and how much grip it has.

With the Lotus 49 I don't so much blip, more sort of bllluuuurrrrppp the throttle because the thing is so sensitive on the brakes and has so little grip compared to a car on more modern tyres, smoothness is the key. It probably lengthens my braking distances slightly but there's so little time to be found in the braking zone on the downshifts I'm prepared to sacrifice a few thousands of a second to arrive at the corner entry in good shape and gain a few tenths there instead.

As has been said you can adjust the spacing of the throttle and brake to make heel / toe easier, I originally went for as close spacing as possible despite having bigger feet than you, although I've recently gone back to default settings. The big problem is the brake pedal when at threshold braking needs to be higher than the throttle to avoid twisting your leg / ankle, I'm going to fit a load cell to mine to get the brake pedal at a constant deflection for all cars, plus maybe add a spacer to get the brake higher than the throttle.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014