1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

'realistic' track surface setting.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by megaCoffee, Mar 21, 2015.

1. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

The 'realistic' surface type setting would automatically pick the surface type depending on the track and type of event. So for example, if you start a race in Monza, the surface will be green. If however, you start a hotlapping session there, it will be set to fast, because it assumes that the track will have been rubbered in. A track like Nordschleife would be a slow or old surface, and a drag strip optimal.

More importantly, and unlike the existing surface types, this realistic setting should not introduce randomness, so hopefully sites like RSR will use it in place of optimal grip for every single track and maybe we can start seeing more variety online.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Heavy stuttering at nordschleife track with 40+ cars running Sunday at 3:00 PM
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars There ist something wrong with track location. Apr 4, 2024
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Driver Profile / Stats / Track / 24H Nürburgring Apr 3, 2024
    ACC Physics ACC inconsistensies should be addressed for the future of the game. (Ex: Braking mechanics & tracks) Apr 3, 2024
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Track Rating does not reset properly on Nordschleife Apr 2, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Broadcasting API is missing track data for the Nürburgring Apr 1, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Assetto corsa competizione ps5 Mugello best track Mar 14, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Track grip settings Mar 4, 2024
    ACC User Interface Track Map Feb 29, 2024
    ACC General Discussions About those US tracks and Liveries... Feb 21, 2024
    ACC Gameplay AI - Unusable on multiple tracks Jan 30, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Cant earn track medals at Red Bull Ring Jan 25, 2024
    Bug reports If you use Track Attack and a Mac computer Jan 18, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds All AI cars on all tracks are driving 50 mph during race! Jan 14, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Track Attack Plug-in Problem Dec 29, 2023

3. Arch

Arch Alien

All I know is that we need a standardized, authentic to reality surface setting that RSR accepts.

I hate doing what could essentially be times very close to world records, but not, because I'm running slow or green in sub-optimal weather. Clear day and Optimal feels like crap too, but all the records are set there.

I'd support this as long as it's realistic to the surface and RSR accepts it and we forget Optimal for world record rankings, like we forget anything that's not "pro" preset for world rankings.

4. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

well optimal is default, so if you don't mess with it, it won't affect your laptimes ;)

it would be great if when you have full on race weekend, the grip will be getting better and better. Green on Friday practice, Slow on Saturday qually up to optimal for Sunday's race

Jebus likes this.
  5. Hotlap mode in game should set the track to optimum with 26 degrees temp or whatever optimum temp it; this should be the only mode that records times for RSR (or better yet, an ingame hotlapping leaderboard)

Until we get fully dynamic weather, along with multiple grip levels per track, there will never be a 'realistic' mode; and don't hold your breath waiting for those things to happen cause it is going to be a while, if ever.

Jebus and Patrik Marek like this.
  6. yusupov

yusupov Alien

i there there are few enough official tracks that kunos could set this up. from what they know of each track (a lot more than us) set a grip level & temp. idk ive been thinking about it as well. i dont personally care about RSR but if those who use it think itd be a benefit, great; a side effect is it should reduce the # of videos posted where half the comments are complaining its not realistic bc grip is optimal, tires are sticky supersoft etc

7. Arch

Arch Alien

My gripe is not that hotlap mode doesn't set the conditions to ideal, my gripe is that I can't pull off competitive times in realistic conditions. I want the near-perfect run that I do in realistic conditions to become the world record because it was a better run than what others could pull off. I don't wanna drive in Optimal to even have the possibility of doing that because Optimal on the Nordschleife is all wrong.

One standard, accepted, realistic setting that is the only one taken into account when looking at times is my dream. A setting where I can feel good driving, be in a realistic environment AND have my times count.

kofotsjanne and Boris Lozac like this.
  8. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

Well it would be more realistic, wouldn't it (in regards to uniform grip levels)? Isn't that a good thing?

9. You can't have a realistic setting and also a level playing field for hotlapping. A track with 91% grip yields a different lap time than a track with 91.2% grip.
    Who said it wouldn't be a good thing?

10. Arch

Arch Alien

Ah, right, I forgot rubbering in over time. That indeed causes problems.

Capping the track at that grip level would fix the problem though, when in hotlap mode. Driving is realistic, but conditions are even.

11. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

RSR could simply discard times over a certain grip level. People can and do cheat even now, so I don't see how that would be an obstacle.

12. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I imagine this is hard for RSR to make such restrictions. I mean, rsr ranks are sorta like a competition, and like in every type of competition people will use the best settings that they can get out of what's allowed. Optimum, 26ºc, pro assists; are the standard for the rsr ranks. Then what makes the difference between each rank is the personal driving skills and knowledge on how to setup a car to give you the best on a certain track.
    But you can post lap times to RSR under any assists and track settings you want, there is no restriction for that, except if you are posting for Pro ranks which use a standard set of rules.

Imo, there is no other way around. You need to forget competitive ranks for a while. Not every lap you do in practice, hotlap, race, multiplayer has to be recorded to RSR, I mean.. even if you want to record it there, don't be bothered if you're using green surface and 15ºC. You'll improve those lap times in case you use the rsr standard settings.

Just enjoy the game with whatever assists/track weather you want, otherwise if you think too much on posting the best lap time possible on rsr ranks, you're never gonna enjoy what the game offers in diversity. And is quite boring to drive in sunny weather with 26ºC and optimum all the time.. Diversify the settings, and also use road tyres on cars that have them. All these different ambient temps, track surface, tyres, setup changes will give you different force feedback on the wheel, for me slicks on optimum surface and 26ºc has become immensely boring and too uniform ffb.

13. megaCoffee

megaCoffee Simracer

Your capped figure could be the highest level of grip that you would reasonably expect in each track. That way, even if you start a race weekend the track would rubber in during practice, according to the track-specific rate, until it hit the cap. Not ideal, but infinitely preferable to driving all tracks with drag strip levels of grip.

Yes, RSR is a competition, but they do restrict certain things that would be unrealistic (ie. setting damage to 0%), so why not grip levels as well?

I understand what you mean, but right now I don't use RSR at all, because as you said optimum conditions are incredibly boring and just feel wrong, especially on Nords. With more sensible levels of grip I could at least occasionally enjoy posting times.

14. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

I haven't really messed with other settings other then Optimum for exactly this reason, i like to compete and see my times on RSR, i like a leveled playing fied, and like i already made a rant once, i hate these different surface types cause it splits the community.

So what is Optimum in the end, is it something that can be reached over a few laps when setting to "green" or something?

15. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Delete RSR , forget about lap times , choose servers that use grip levels lower than fake (optimal) and enjoy the game.

tabis and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  16. Deleting RSR might be a bit harsh, but don't be afraid of turning it off every now and then. Getting draft in an MP server already ruins the entire integrity of a hotlap board to me, but it is a shame that the only servers that are populated are almost exclusively using optimum grip.

liakjim and PAKFA like this.
  17. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Nords with green track, temp down to 18C, that's the most immersive simracing I've had in years. Optimum does feel arcadish when you get used to lower grip.

liakjim likes this.
  18. Arch

Arch Alien

I haven't even activated RSR in half a year because I don't enjoy hotlapping on Optimum. I put out times close to what the WR is on Optimum + best tires, so I'm assuming the proper conditions will take away the 1.5 sec - 2 sec of time difference that I get on 10c/slow, so I don't need to post times cause I know I do good times. The point is, though, that for one I have no proof at all of my claims, because it's not documented anywhere, cause I hate Optimum/26c.

It's not so much an ego thing as it is splitting the community up as has been said. I like the track grip settings, but I don't like how you can choose unreasonable settings.
    IMO having tracks have their own custom grip levels, with the best being a normal rubbered in track, would be really ideal. Anything worse would be things like dusty or an artificial very worn pavement setting like old. Some tracks would be capped to old and slow, too.

That way we would get rid of this problem entirely, by having a realistic driving setting be the track's cap for grip. You could run a lower grip in races for example to simulate getting the track rubbered in, but having the track rubbered in would be like at any trackday event that spans multiple days. Not like driving on a warm dragstrip.

Tracks like Trento Bondone would be capped to "Old" and could not improve if the track settings allow it, for example. This should be handled in the tracks, not the UI.

19. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I think it was Aris who said here on the forum that "optimal" will never happened in real world.
    If i didnt missunderstand your question?

I used optimal (20-24 i think?) for a good while, went down to fast, green (use this 50-50 still) or else some of the lower settings, preferebly old. I would love to use RSR but somehow it just feels wrong to be so low on the leaderboard when its not in the same conditions. Im not sure that I would climb so high in the leaderboard anyway but its not even fun to try to climb, for the reasons i typed above.

20. Arch

Arch Alien

My thoughts are the same as above.

I mean yeah, right now I do minimum top 20 times on slow/10c/fog, but it's not physically going higher, pretty much ever. So I don't even bother. There should be a possibility to be number 1, and that possibility becomes a reality when the playing field is even.
    Right now the only way is Optimum + 26c.

21. Obviously it is, are you daft ? It's hotlapping, everyone in perfect conditions and that's it. Fastest is, well, fastest.

If you want to hotlap, use that, otherwise stop complaining and drive for fun.