1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

refresh a 50hz o 60hz?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ganviion, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Si3v

Si3v Graphic Lead Artist Staff Member KS Dev Team

The gfx engine in AC is NOT pre calculated at a fixed number.
    The "RR of the engine" is just the number of Fps you're doing at that moment. If you can do 400 fps, the graphic engine is calculating each frame every 2.5 milliseconds.

Stuttering = big differences between frame time, big, fast fluctuations in frame rate that make the output feels like not fluid. Usually happens because there's not equilibrium between cpu and gpu. A solution can be limiting the fps. If you can do 100 fps normally, try limiting them at 60 or 50 (if your screen support that refresh rate)
    Tearing = An out of sync of the image with the refresh of the monitor, so you see 2 different render frames, causing objects to be like broken by an horizontal line. Vsync (always in fullscreen) is the solution.
    Setting the screen at 50hz and limiting the fps to 50 could fix the tearing if the frame render and the screen refresh are nearly coincident (and probably the stuttering if the cpu and gpu are enough powerfull) because 50 fps means a frame time of 20 milliseconds while 60 fps means a frametime of 16.666 (periodic) milliseconds, and it's much more difficult to maintain.

ericRacer, ganviion and cooknn like this.
  2. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

I think that's way too much information for a typical gamer.

To make a long story short - can you run the game at 60Hz with Vsync enabled without stuttering ?
    Or what do you have to do to make it so ?

3. Si3v

Si3v Graphic Lead Artist Staff Member KS Dev Team

does it change a lot for you between 50 fps locked and 60 fps locked?

Practical example: I have an amd x6 (the less powerfull) and an nvidia 660 basic (non Ti), it could make more than 110 fps with my ac graphic config (1920x1200 - aa 4x - motion blur off - hdr on -shadows mid, world full, reflections mid - 2 faces per frame), but I limit them at 60 fps (meaning the gpu is not at 100% load)
    In AC I read 1920x1200 59 hz. That's a reading from windows. It means 60hz of refresh.
    I have ZERO stuttering, but some tearing because I set Vsync off. I can live with tearing...
    If I set Vsync ON and don't limit the fps, set full screen ON, I have ZERO stuttering and ZERO tearing with a stable frame rate of 60 fps.

Edit: I'm talking one car on track. If we talk of a race with 20 AI, that's a different planet. The cpu is actually very stressed and the relationship between cpu and gpu becames much more delicate.

ericRacer likes this.
  4. ganviion

ganviion Rookie

Oh Silvio thank you so much for the detailed clarification! based on your explanation, i would assume that given my pc spec and the fact i am vpr on a big screen, 50 hz vsynced works better because so it is easier to handle constant frametimes. 60hz vsynced works too, but maybe there's a very little stutter that get amplified by: 1)big screen 2)my eyes sensitivity.
    Btw a cool side effect of the 50hz refresh rate is that it gives a natural blurring on fast moving images. When i also set motion blur in game to level 2, this combo gives both more sense of speed and smoothness when cornering. Maybe it's just me or some kind of placebo, but i suggest ppl playing 50 hz to try adding lil' motion blur to game. Let me know!
    cya G

5. so i would limit the fps by using fpscap in the options menu, right?

6. ganviion

ganviion Rookie

sure mate, limit the fps to your monitor refresh in order to avoid stutter. If you want to get rid of tearing too, enable vsync.

7. softslider

softslider Racer

In case of vsync on, which setting is better between triple buffering on and off to avoid display lag?

I'm using 42" LCD TV with vsync off and limiting fps(60->62) to avoid display lag as much as possible although vsync on(60hz) show very smoothness. But in this case(vsync off & fps60~62), there is some tearing from from time to time and not so fluid like vsync on even though it seems a little better(just a little. still not satisfied) in terms of display lag.

So i'm considering going back to vsync on for smoothness and would like to know tripple buffering setting.

8. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Triple buffering in driver doesn't work I think its only for open GL rendering only via the driver setting, there will always be slightly more lag with v-sync on but the monitor use for display is even more critical especially TV's tend to add quite a bit more input lag no matter what the game is doing. I have been experimenting to see if I am faster with v-sync on or off and can run the same laptimes with both. I ran some hotlaps turning all gfx settings down and got over 400 fps then turned everything up and set v-sync on and frame cap to 61, I beat my laps set at 400+ FPS with it synced to 60fps so driving wise it doesnt effect me too much. If the frame rate is more then double my refresh rate then its pretty smooth even with v-sync off and this will also have less input lag as with v-sync on I can tell its about a frame or half a frame slower. No sync or cap and fps 60 to 110 and it is quite stuttery and not very smooth, with my v-sync setup its the smoothest it can get but at 300fps plus its quite similar though I wont get that with other cars on track or better IQ that actually lets me see the track clearer.

With V-sync on and frame between 30-58fps it is pretty bad and this is where triple buffering is needed, however doing the ALT-enter trick twice before the session enables smooth frame rates between half and full refresh with v-sync enabled as if triple buffering was used. Input lag is ideally wanted to be minimized but I prefer a smooth tear free image and can deal with a very minor increase in lag to give me a more immersive experiance. I didnt get a good PC setup to simply destroy the IQ with lower settings tearing and stuttering, if this would even make me .5s slower then I really dont care. Minimum lag is more critical when catching slides and such but with v-sync on or off I really am not that much better with it off.

I will be getting a good g-sync monitor at some point ideally something that can do 1440p at 120hz and also good quality image not some washed out low quality LCD. G-sync will deal with sync and lag in the best way so far but I also want to get a oculus rift when that comes out and I think they should also incorporate g-sync into that and get a low lag high res and refresh display.

9. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

For me, input lag is unbearable with any buffering at all. I run 75Hz monitors and fps limited to 76Hz. Thsi gives me perfect smoothness, and very occationally some tearing. As long as my computer can pump those 76 frames per second the sim is super smooth and virtually imperceivable input lag.

In the video you can see there is perceptible input lag, but within reason. I think it's my monitors that generate the remaining lag. Note that the two vireo streams aren't perfectly syncronized, but if you notice the "real" footage you can see the real and sim wheel in the same shot

10. ganviion

ganviion Rookie

HELP KUNOS GUYS!, even with the new (magnificient!superb!) patch, i got performance improvements but the screen still will randomly stutter when i am playing at 60hz 60fps (it does stutter at 50hz too, bit less). As i read somewhere, I', asking DEVS if my HDD Western Digital Caviar Green could be the cause. Please help! Do i need to change my hard drive? Or anything else to get rid of random stutter?

Thank you in advance

11. ssidrdw

ssidrdw Racer

The game is 100% loaded to your DRAM and VRAM. Data isn't taken from hard drive in real time in any game, except flight simulators where they don't want to load the whole earth to memory.
    I think I get this 0.2 sec freeze every 20 mins of gameplay too btw ... Anyway that isn't micro stutter, just to make it clear!
    I would suggest you check cpu and gpu load when not gaming or anything and make sure those are 0-1%. And go through the list of the the processes in task manager, google those you don't know if you don't understand their description.
    If you find nothing you can only do a clean install of drivers (use driver fusion), even network and audio drivers cause this, or re-install windows.
    I also suggest you run a DPC latency checker, and see if you see some serious spikes (20 to 1000), you should try different drivers (including windows generic drivers) until you solve this ...

12. softslider

softslider Racer

Hi ssidrdw,

Let me have one qurstion. Do you think if DPC latency checker is able to be used to see screen blackout issue? In case there is no high peak in screen blakout, can I see it as not pc issue but cable or monitor issue? Please answer for my ignorant question.

ADDED:
    I have screen blackout issue. But no CPU/GPU peak at the moment.

13. ganviion

ganviion Rookie

hi ssidrdw, thank you. Indeed i get the approximately 0.2 microfreeze but every 2-3 mins or so...cpu and gpu load are fine, and i cannot see strange bg processes going on. What is Dpc latency checker? And as far as you know can these micro freezes be caused by replay maximum lenght? ( i set this to 20 mb,maybe too low/so every times it begins recording i get a freeze?).
    thanks

14. ssidrdw

ssidrdw Racer

Don't think so at all ... do you get the black outs only when playing ? if not maybe it's just your monitor.

About the recording you can just try setting it to 500mb... if you have an SSD and don't want to wear it, use "link shell extension" to make a virtual AC folder in documents and store the stuff on the HDD.
    If you see big spikes in a DPC latency tester it shows that your cpu gets "super busy" for a few moments which would explain the pauses...

15. ssidrdw

ssidrdw Racer

ohhh btw I'm getting those 0.2 sec freezes any 5-10 mins only since I downloaded the Rivali app that shows stuff like tire wear and such, and turning on smoke (had it off before) ... you have that rivali app too ? I don't use it btw (don't open it) but it still happens.

16. ganviion

ganviion Rookie

nope mate, but i got to say i too enabled smoke. But I think our issue are vga related. I mean maybe we havent much power to mantain a stable framerate with ours card..dunno...Until final version i guess theese issues may happen.
    cheers

17. ssidrdw

ssidrdw Racer

if the gpu would get too low voltage you'd either get artifacts, a total freeze of the pc, or black screen and then a "vga driver crashed" massage... BTW I don't get sound freeze\pops when it happens. also I use 500mb recording.

18. Hi guys, Im trying with a few settings with the objective of making the game look smoother when using the trackir.
    The problem is that after a few laps, I get some heavy eye strain when using the trackir. After looking closer, I can see some tearing and the screen moves around in some very rough way. Unfortunately I can´t afford a 120hz monitor right now but also, I´m waiting for the retail version of the Oculus Rift, so it doesnt really make sense to invest a lot of money in monitors, specially considering that in Brazil, things costs twice, sometimes 3x the normal price in dollars, because of the outrageous brazilian import taxes. My current monitor is an LG M2762D, 27 inches, 5ms response time and 1980x1080, 60hz. The monitor is placed about 80cm away (31") from my eyes.

I tried different settings, limiting fps to 50hz, 59hz and 60hz, setting the res to 1980x1080 60hz and 59hz and also by using the V-sync.
    The best setting so far is by using the V-sync, it really gets very smooth, but usually at heavy breaking, I get some heavy stuttering, enough to make it unplayable. Its weird because it only happens when heavy breaking. With all the other settings, I get some tearing and unfluidness, specially when limiting the fps to 60hz and res to 1980x1080 60hz, which is the worst setting so far.

Any suggestion is really appreciated.
    Thanks

19. ssidrdw

ssidrdw Racer

Once you are using a trackir you have the same cause of eye strain that FPS games have. The solution is to increase FOV. I suffer a lot from this, and I can play fps games perfectly fine at 105 horizontal FOV, but get tons of eye pain under less than 90 FOV.
    I'd suggest you use at least 60 fov, forget the myths, after the first 10 minutes of adjusting to the different feel, you will be at least as far as you used to be, and faster on corners like the slow 180 on Imola .

Deleted member 18758 likes this.
  20. Thanks mate Ill give it a go!