1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Science proves that Fangio was the greatest F1 driver of all time - Mathematical modeling confirms m

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Seria17hri11er, Apr 18, 2016.

1. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

That's the third best post of the thread.

Minolin and Andy-R like this.
  2. We got one riled up boys! Don't hold back now Manu, tell us what you really think :D

3. WallyM

WallyM Alien

That's the 37th best post I've read today.

4. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Even on 89 season Senna was better than Prost. But Senna have had failures of engine and the car. The FIA, the television put all the lights on the Suzuka race, but the true is that Senna didnt have the most reliable engines that season.

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Did the global warming scientists get bored or something? you can bend math into any shape you want, if you have a preset agenda you want to try prove or justify. Even better when you dont show any of the data and call it science. :D

mantasisg 2 and Seria17hri11er like this.
  6. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

7. Traind

Traind Hardcore Simmer

Senna was not as gentle with the car as Prost.... who was a master at doing just enough to win. If Honda was favoring anyone--- although they probably were not--- it would have been Senna.

Senna was faster most days on a given lap. But give Prost his due. Look at his results overall vs his teammates: Senna, Mansell, Lauda and Piquet. Who ever did so well against so many. World Champion teammates?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk 2

8. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

the way I see it, the requirements on todays athletes are way different to what those were back in the days, and in that logic the old legends can't measure to the young ones, because simply today the requirements are way higher and therefore if those drivers were put into nowadays cars, they would probably have hard times

or are you telling me that someone like Carl Lewis was better runner then Usain Bolt ? ( and it's only thanks to more modern development in shoes/clothes and what not that Bolt is faster?)
    Or that WW2 fighter pilots would out-class modern dogfighters ??

yes technology makes certain things easier, but then you have other things to worry about too, and to me - through common sense logic - formula drivers of this generation are simply level above what those guys did back in the days.

amazing things about those older guys were the circumstances in which they did it, but I really don't agree that if you could put them into today's machines, they would do as well
    they didn't start in 3 years in go karts, did they ?

and the endurace/stamina that you need to have to work in 6 g forces, etc. ... you simply can't compare imo

9. Training your body isn't exactly difficult tho... Having talent, the right mindset and balls is much harder to going to the gym.

To add to that; if you're taking drivers level exactly as they were in their time, then yeah, older ones would have a hard time physique wise. But then modern drivers would all be dead if you went the other way around.

juandb78 likes this.
  10. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Prost won so many champioships, but also, lost too. Too many times because not reliable cars. I dont disagree about his quality as a pilot. But, Senna have had 5 retirements before the race of Jerez, 5 wins. Before Jerez, Prost had 4 wins, all of them on races that Senna retired and only 1 retirement. That was he won that champioship. Overall, it was a disaster year for Prost, himself felt this and signed a contract with Ferrari before the end of champioship. Numbers dont lie, when the Senna have had the car to complete the race, he won almost the times against Prost.

11. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

yes, some would, just like many did in those years

and it's not just physics, how much training is there for mind. Drivers these days communicate with pits, tweak things one the fly, adjust to strategy .. back in the days they "just" drove

I really think you can't compare it and perhaps closest comparison would be WW2 figther pilot vs F22 Raptor pilot. Yes the F22 raptor pilot doesn't perhaps needs certain skills because computer does a lot of work for him, but the amount of technical/strategy information that he needs to have is completly elsewhere then those pilots in WW2 had

plus in those days, this was pretty much sport for the rich, so it could be possible that many of the really great talented drivers didn't have money to actually try it out, in which circumstances good driver could easily be champion with no competition
    whereas these days there's so much competition so that you really have to prove yourself to get a shot at something more serious

when I think of pinnacle of racing as in "man and machine" that would be perhaps Group C rally, those guys had balls that those of Fangio could only dream off - imo , and their machines were out of this world compared to those back in the days

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  12. Eh.... No, sorry. It's still a rich guy sport, whether it's sponsorship or just money. And the cars Fangio drove were deadlier than Group B cars (which I assume is what you meant, Group C was sports cars: 956/962, C9, 787B, etc), by far. Because they were basically **** boxes on bicycle tyres... Developing 500hp and going over 180mph. With no seatbelts. Seating in the fuel tank.

As for strategies, it's really not that hard, you just listen to your engineer, that's it. The only thing that's annoyingly complicated today is ERS preservation. The rest is pretty straightforward really.

13. dauntless

dauntless Alien

In every generation the top racers have had to develop their skills to the maximum. Those skills do vary but if you'd drop senna in 1950s and let him grow up there chances are he would still be a great driver. Of course if you take senna from 1992 and drop him in the 1950s his skillset is simply wrong for that era. It is not the fault of the driver if the cars of his era are more or less technical, more or less reliable, more or less harder to drive or tactically more difficult. Or if the gap between the cars is bigger or smaller. Or if the sport is more or less dangerous. Or if the general skill levels are higher in that era. It is not really the drivers' fault if the technology is primitive either. Being the best is always difficult, no matter if it is 1950 or 2050. But is it equally difficult nowadays as it was 50 years ago? I don't know.

If you dropped senna or prost from 1990s in 1950 to drive those widowmakers they would of course find it very dangerous. But if they had grown up in that era they'd just get on with it. Just like if you take the modern drivers and drop them in 1950s f1 cars they might be uncomfortable. But had they been born and lived in that era they'd not know any better and would race like the drivers in those days did. Some people like to call modern race drivers primadonnas because they have far less danger. It is kinda stupid argument because the drivers have 0 control about what kind of cars they drive in f1, lemans or anywhere. You have got what you have got and it is the best we can do in 2016. Not the best of 1950s, 1970s or 2050s.

I think one if the issues some people especially get wrong all the time is that the great drivers somehow had a skill to avoid accidents. I think that is just down to luck. There have been countless great drivers in f1 who died simply because their cars broke down unexpectedly. Some died for making mistakes while others survived, like fangio in 1952. It is just luck. Just like jim clark just had bad luck so had francois cevert. Both probably capable of winning championships but because they died the first one stays legend because he died after winning. The latter never got his chance and is as such forgotten.

Seria17hri11er and Patrik Marek like this.
  14. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Nigel Mansell (F1)and Ari Vatanen(overall) are my favourites, next are Prost, Piquet and Randy Pobst lol.

Todays generation: Kimi and Vettel, Verstappen off course:) (Loeb trumps them all though)

Cheers
    Robin

Robyn likes this.
  15. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Thank you, I always wanted to see full video !

As for comparing new to the old. I would say that not everything is easier today or moving from past to present not everything was getting easier, drivers nowadays probably has to concentrate much more because of much greater response of steering inputs and shorter braking distances and keeping car near to its limit.

Asking myself when it was most up the driver, and not up the car and team ? Can't answer. Maybe hardest for driver was turbo era.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  16. Ricky Reject

Ricky Reject Hardcore Simmer

Imho, you're all wrong. Best driver was Alex Yoong.

17. David Wright

David Wright Hardcore Simmer

Actually, the cars Fangio won 4 championships in had less than 300 bhp. The fuel tank was typically behind the driver in this era - it was the 60s when drivers were basically sitting in the fuel tank. They were dangerous because the cars had no protection and the tracks had no protection but they were not particularly difficult to drive.

Jos_theboss and Sleeper Service like this.
  18. 6S.Manu

6S.Manu I'm Awesome! Staff Member KS Dev Team

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

These guys are ruining the world.

Numbers are interesting stuff, sure, but geeks tend to take them as clear facts ("numbers don't lie" they are used to say): instead numbers must always be interpreted... they don't tell anything, it's youself the one who can read something through them.

Probably it's not the case of this article, but actually there are men acting like superstars while at the end they just sort some excel spreadsheets.

PS: IMO, but my twitter profile says it all: I hate them.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  19. I couldn't give a flying..........

Sleeper Service likes this.