1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Slipstream effect

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by hgmmgh, Apr 7, 2017.

1. hgmmgh

hgmmgh Rookie

Sorry that I haven't checked this matter running offline, but I'm too lazy for that.
    The thing is that is very impressing the way I can be hugely fastest than the car that precedes me, I can catch him even when in theory I would not be in a slipstream-dependent effect. But when I overtake him, and frequently is because he fails in a curve and therefore I can take many meters before him, suddenly he became equally fastest than me and I become absolutely confused and I loose my concentration. I think, seriously, that this doesn't happen in real life.
    So, I don't know if when you create a server, you can select the slipstream effect, and normally all servers set it too high, but it is this or something the game set by default, I think it should be really lower.
    Unless there is cheating, of course.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Increasing slipstream effect for draggy car Jul 8, 2020
    Console Lounge Slipstream effect (GT3 cars) Feb 17, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Slipstream effect in rc 1.3 Oct 19, 2014
    XBox One Discussions Audio crackling when I get behind a car to slipstream Aug 29, 2020
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Slipstream Racing League- Saturday Nights (NA) Jul 4, 2020
    ACC Physics SLIPSTREAM?! Jan 15, 2020
    ACC Physics Slipstreaming was more fun before 1.1 Nov 2, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Slipstreaming correctly Jan 16, 2018
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Slipstream and DRS Aug 31, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Multiplayer slipstream Oct 21, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues Gt86 slipstream Sep 9, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Most realistic tyre wear & slipstream settings? Dec 27, 2014
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Add an option to change multiplayer slipstream multiplier. Nov 7, 2014
    Physics Bugs & Issues Slipstream multiplayer Oct 17, 2014
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues No slipstream on mp Aug 30, 2014

3. If you are in someone's slipstream (and in the same car type), you will be able to gain on them because of the reduction in drag. As soon as you move out to overtake, that slipstream effect vanishes. However, the added momentum is usually sufficient to "slingshot" you past the other car, but this will not last long. After you have completed the overtake, the chances are that the car behind will now be in a position to use your own slipstream to do exactly the same thing to you!

Is this what you mean, or have I misunderstood?

4. Tberg

Tberg Alien

If you get confused and loose concentration, you´ll get overtaken anyway.

GCCRacer and demetri like this.
  5. donShere

donShere Hardcore Simmer

I'm also not sure what exactly you're asking. Christopher explained the basics well and I believe the level of slipstream is very accurate now.

The thing I wonder is if the front car also goes a tiny bit faster with someone in it's tail. I know this should be the case from cycling experts. Less turbulence and vacuum on the rear end for the front car > less drag.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

So you're able to quickly catch somebody, even without slipstream and then overtake them after they make a mistake, but after that, they are able to keep up with you?

This could be explained by the 'red mist' effect. Basically, some people simply drive better when chasing cars than when leading. Sounds like you both might be guilty of that.

I could be totally misunderstanding what you're saying, though.

mms and baboon like this.
  7. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

The default for the slip stream effect should be the lowest (1x) before disabling it, which I personally think might actually be too low, but for that you can adjust it. If servers adjust it to 5x, 10x or whatever for an artificial catch-up that's up to them, if you don't like it you'll have to find a different one or make your own.

8. Great opener o_O I can give you the answer on your question but I'm too lazy for that.:cool:

9. baboon

baboon Alien

I think there are many drivers who know this too well. I usually have a hard time keeping focused when in the lead.

10. hgmmgh

hgmmgh Rookie

Yes, Just simplifying, I'm saying that the slipstream effect is too high. But the red mist thing is something to give a consideration as well. Just that I would like that, if slipstream effect amount is something that servers owners can set, it would be some lower. Sincerely, the advice of choosing another server I think is silly (I think). You equally could advice me to choose another sim, or even go to real life for that matter.
    If all of you are glad and well experiencing what I have described, ok and sorry, because is something I experience too in the other sims. So perhaps I am just too bad when I'm in the lead, but my times are more or less the same.

11. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Been wondering the same, is 1x enough. It's quite subtle, but I haven't raced in real life so I have no good comparison point. Slipstream must happen briefly in IRL road traffic overtake situations, but haven't really paid attention. Mostly I keep safe distances on road, of course. So there is no prolonged slipstream.

By the way, how does distance affect slipstream in IRL and AC? I mean, if I'm directly behind a car but there is distance between us, the slipstream gradually weakens with distance right? At what distance it completely disappears? Does AC simulate this?

12. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

It's definitely possible the host is using an exaggerated slipstream factor.

But maybe you're ok leading and the other guy isn't? Maybe he was driving worse than he usually would if he were chasing?

I dont know. This could explain it fully or partly. It's really hard to say much about this without actually seeing a video of what you're talking about.

13. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Don't downforce cars suffer from the dirty air behind another car. Should sidestep into clean air before a breaking zone. Don't know if that is modeled in AC.

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  14. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

I agree that it's a bit low when racing online, sometimes it's like it's not even there. I've also experienced with the OP is describing, times when I should be slipstreaming up to the car in front but instead they suddenly start pulling away. o_O I host servers regularly and as far as I know there is no option to adjust the slipstream option on the server, it is always at the default/lowest. At least I've never seen an option for it in the server app.

15. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Never hosted a server in AC myself, I was under the impression that you can set it via the server cfg. If not I don't know what OP is talking about. 1x slipstream is noticeable as it should be but not unrealistic, I think.

16. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I thought this is going to be interesting thread dedicated to slip stream. But then I read the OP. They guy probably can drive and use setup (for example gear ratios, turbo setting and so on) as well as he has tamed english language.

I don't think that there is function in AC to have increased slipstream effect, if there is then it is surprise for me, 1200 hours, and never noticed the setting :/ possible Edit: wow, it is indeed there haha, no wonder I have never noticed, my brain probably ignered such BS, well... maybe it is useful somehow, for someone, I guess you can get cosmic laptimes with highest setting.

I'd love to have engine overheating, if using slipstream too long.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  17. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

There definitely is offline, on the screen where you can set tyre wear, fuel consumption, etc.

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  18. DuckeyTapey

DuckeyTapey Hardcore Simmer

With AC's netcode you often get a little bit of warping if your connection isn't perfectly stable where the other cars seem to continiously be gaining and losing a little bit of speed on the straights, which can be misleading. That might lead you to assume that cars suddenly gain more speed through slipstreaming than you'd expect.

esox71 likes this.
  19. No, hopefully that gets corrected someday. (although it is such a small and nearly insignificant thing that it is understandable if it never changes)
    Until it is changed there can never be realistic 'nascar type' drafting on big oval tracks.

20. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

A little off topic,...but, is there a loss of down force on formula cars with wings when following close ?.

It seems to me that there is, then again it could be just poor driving when following another car.

LATE4APEX

21. LChaves

LChaves Hardcore Simmer

Some drivers that don't fully know a certain track might drive better with a reference infront of them.

I don't feel slipstream effect x1 is exaggerated, the other settings... well they aren't suppoused to be realistic.