1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Small change request to opponent position arrows

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by CamsX, Jan 20, 2017.

1. CamsX

CamsX Racer

Hello all, I wanted to get your comments on a small change to the opponent on screen position arrows within AC. This is already in the game, and afaik can't be turned off, but my idea, albeit simple, would benefit all racers.

And YES, (as an Oculus VR user) I know about and always use Helicorsa. I do think every driver in AC should install it, but you and I know this is usually not the case. And consoles aren't able to use this option either.

[​IMG]

As seen above, we have those tiny red arrows that rotate on the screen depending on the relative position of opposing cars to ours.

These are somewhat useful, but the problem lies in the limited information they provide. Yes, you know you have a car close to you, but how close? Sim racing with the limited peripheral vision and in more extreme cases with proper FOV, makes it very difficult to gauge the distance to other cars when they are not on screen, and even worse in your blind spot.

Many of us with online racing experience are able to give enough room or move away from the main racing line to avoid contacts, but this only goes so far if the other driver is inexperienced or doesn't understand the information provided by the arrows.

[​IMG]

My suggestion would be to turn those arrows into something dynamic what would change color and/or increase their size the closer we are to other vehicles.

This is information already available, because otherwise we wouldn't have Helicorsa. Another more complex option would be to consider Size of the arrow based on distance and color based on risk of contact.

Of course this is not going to magically make AC the perfect simulator where nobody crashes, but if things like Helicorsa and Minorating have done spectacular things to the overall quality of the racing experience in AC, image what could this simple core change do to our enjoyment of online and offline races.

Snoozieboi, Knonkh, twizzR and 15 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality Everything looks small in VR, is it possible to change the inter-axial distance? Dec 7, 2018
    ACC User Interface Small design change suggestion Nov 30, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Small question about time multiplier / offline Apr 16, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Small bug in results JSON Feb 24, 2024
    News and Announcements Assetto Corsa Competizione small update out now Jun 1, 2023
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Small excel tool to edit car physics Jan 15, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions PlayStation 5 VR2 (PSVR2) Virtual Reality - Small talk, tech, pros & cons, your opinion, wishes? Nov 17, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Small issues with driver names, flags May 20, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting small lags, stutter, microfreezes in offline mode Jun 28, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Small vr bug - skid mark rendering Mar 31, 2021
    Screens & Videos Suzuki Cappuccino: mod of the smallest sports car ever on Assetto Corsa Mar 7, 2021
    ACC Physics Smaller Increments for Brake Ducts Nov 15, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Fast falling visibility of small lights with increasing distance Jul 23, 2020
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Wheels too small when aligned by data May 15, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting In car menu very small! Apr 24, 2020

3. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I like this, because sometimes I have trouble to know of the car besides or right behind me in a straight or during a corner. Is hard for single monitor and low-medium fov to realize how close I am to the other car.
    For me this would help with judging better the turn-ins at corners with cars nearby or when going two or three wide. I've seen corners where opponents turn into each other at a corner because they judged wrongly where everyone was. A constant red arrow only tells you where they are around you, but not how far or how close. Dynamic colors for the arrows would be ideal. Personally I don't like to race with helicorsa because it confuses me more, is simpler to follow the built-in indicators in the game, but with dynamic colors to tell you how safe you are to opponent cars would be highly appreciated for multiplayer and AI racing.

4. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

Maybe related, but I just discovered yesterday that you can adjust the field of view of the f11 mirror using Content Manager. I put it to around 40 degrees and now I can see better the relative position of a car behind me.

Schnipp likes this.
  5. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Quite nice ideas. But the arrows actually can be turned off on PC. Assettocorsa/system/cfg/proximity_indicator.ini

Robertus likes this.
  6. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

Firstly as above you can turn them off.

Secondly and what I find a bit strange is why would you want to use them in the first place with an HMD? After all if you want to know where opponents are you just turn your head :) Maybe as you didn't know you can turn them off you then thought up your nice idea, but there really is no need for these arrows in VR at all.

7. CamsX

CamsX Racer

Thanks for clarifying the red arrows are actually something you can disable. Not sure if it is an option for console drivers tho.

I was going to write it, but I thought my post was somewhat clear. I DO NOT want the arrows for VR. I know they are not available for HMD. But even with the Oculus, I still use Helicorsa for safer racing due to the lack of a virtual rear view mirror.

Yet, I have several friends who are unable to afford VR for their sim racing, which is why this change helps them directly; And if this makes other drivers around me be more careful it would benefit me indirectly.

8. Pulley

Pulley Simracer

Yeah that's cool thought you were getting at that :)
    I don't know what helicorsa is but for me any visual aids in VR is not for me at all, I find the experience of being in the car as intended to be all I need :)

somake likes this.